What is/was this thing?

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
DeadendLafayette
Pad site
Pad site

What is/was this thing?

Post by DeadendLafayette »

I'm exposing my profound ignorance of things KC, but I gotta ask: what was this thing? I remember seeing it a long time ago, but it's gone now, right? Was it AT&T?

Something tells me it's not really missed... :)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: What is/was this thing?

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DeadendLafayette wrote: I'm exposing my profound ignorance of things KC, but I gotta ask: what was this thing? I remember seeing it a long time ago, but it's gone now, right? Was it AT&T?

That is a "long lines" building.  Most of the inside of it is communications equipment for transmitting long distance telecom.  There used to be a tower on the roof of it that was covered with microwave dishes and other communications equipment.  Apparently the equipment was rendered unnecessary and they deccided to take it down.  The long lines building at ~ the intersection of Metcalf and I-35 still has a largely similar tower and equipment on top of it. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

DeadendLafayette wrote: I'm exposing my profound ignorance of things KC, but I gotta ask: what was this thing? I remember seeing it a long time ago, but it's gone now, right? Was it AT&T?

yeah, all the satelite/antenna shit on the top of the at&t long lines building.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

I remember watching out of the north windows of Truman Medical Center in 1979 or 80 when they installed that gear.  As usual, helicopter lifting - took them a week or so to get everything up there.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

Who knows--without googling!? ;)
Last edited by phna on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

I would say since it has a patent, and looks to be made of iron it is probably a tool, or mold of some sort used more than once???? :?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Based on the date of the patent, I'd go with a piece of a bicycle, automobile, can opener, or gas stove / lamp. Or maybe part of some kind of crimp, punchdown tool, or guide for creating twisted pair.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

Boat  Anchor?
On to the Next One
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

mykem wrote: I would say since it has a patent, and looks to be made of iron it is probably a tool, or mold of some sort used more than once???? :?
mean wrote: Based on the date of the patent, I'd go with a piece of a bicycle, automobile, can opener, or gas stove / lamp. Or maybe part of some kind of crimp, punchdown tool, or guide for creating twisted pair.
I think you both have the general idea. Touche! "The
inventor was William W. Warren of Dowagiac, Mich. He filed an application June 1, 1897, and was granted U.S. Patent No. 597,924 on Jan. 25, 1898, for what he described as an ?implement for forming ends for eaves-troughs.? Today, we commonly know them as rain gutters."

http://qctimes.com/lifestyles/announcem ... 002e0.html
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Huh! Interesting.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin