Postcards From the Edge of Time

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Postcards From the Edge of Time

Post by Demosthenes »

Man we need a new version of this. It would be so cool! I can't believe that an airplane bar like that even existed.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This link shows historical prostitution areas in Kansas City.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... dlKRqAjPjQ
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

pash wrote:I really thought that was going to be a postcard. You know, a look-what-I've-been-doing-in-Kansas-City sort of thing.
:lol:

So is the past glory that the River Market aspires to recapture?
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

I don't know if this has been posted, but I came across it during a google image search and thought it was a great shot. It was posted by Karbank real estate because one of their billboards is in the shot. Judging by the cars I'd guess mid to late 50's?

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

joshmv wrote:I don't know if this has been posted, but I came across it during a google image search and thought it was a great shot. It was posted by Karbank real estate because one of their billboards is in the shot. Judging by the cars I'd guess mid to late 50's?
Yeah, looks that way. The cars in Union Station parking lot aren't sporting a ton of tail fins, and the Super-G Connies entered service with TWA in 1955 so I'm assuming it is probably somewhere closer to the mid-50s. Cool pic, thanks for sharing. Not sure I've seen that particular one before.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Wow, what an amazing picture! I'm pretty sure I've seen that shot somewhere before, but it is great nonetheless.

I highly suggest everybody to click on that picture and zoom in on it. Take a few minutes to look at every bit of it zoomed in. There is such amazing depth to it. So many cool old buildings.

The Oak Tower still had terra cotta at the time, and you can see some old buildings to the right of it that no longer exist. Sizeable buildings. One of them says it's the YMCA. I'm assuming these buildings were cleared to make way for the park (or fell before then).

Look at the Hotel Midwest. Very loud signage. And Jenkins music was an actual building at this time. How nice.

Cool stuff.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Very cool picture!

So much signage that I don't recognize. Just "above" (farther North) of the TWA sign is a sign that appears to say "RKO Missouri." I wonder what that was. The Empire?

There is no shortage of things to look at in that picture.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

The Valomilk building!
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

AllThingsKC wrote:Very cool picture!

So much signage that I don't recognize. Just "above" (farther North) of the TWA sign is a sign that appears to say "RKO Missouri." I wonder what that was. The Empire?

There is no shortage of things to look at in that picture.
It would appear to be the Empire, and also a good sign this picture was taken before 1960.

http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_view ... OX=1&REC=8
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This photo shows the RKO Missouri signage on the Mainstreet Theater.

http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_view ... OX=1&REC=7
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

joshmv wrote:I don't know if this has been posted, but I came across it during a google image search and thought it was a great shot. It was posted by Karbank real estate because one of their billboards is in the shot. Judging by the cars I'd guess mid to late 50's?

I set this as my background and keep seeing new things in it every day. The smoke stack on the west side of the PnL building is a pretty good explanation of why that blank wall is there. Makes a lot more sense than planning for another building. Unless they had huge fore-site and thought that the power plant was a place holder for a 21st century building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The perspective is a little off in that photo because a wide angle zoom lens was used.

The smoke stack wasn't next to the blank wall of the P&L Tower. The power plant for the Power & Light Building was actually on the NW part of that block, where the Crown Plaza Hotel is now.

The link below shows the area:

http://kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.p ... OX=1&REC=6
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote:The perspective is a little off in that photo because a wide angle zoom lens was used.

The smoke stack wasn't next to the blank wall of the P&L Tower. The power plant for the Power & Light Building was actually on the NW part of that block, where the Crown Plaza Hotel is now.

The link below shows the area:

http://kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.p ... OX=1&REC=6
Ahhhhh.

That garage was built in '53!! I always thought it was a part of the Bartle Construction.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

From @kclightrail

8th Street elevated station at unknown intersection east of Main, looking towards West Bottoms (1940)

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Great photo find Joshmv. I need more coffee to begin wrapping my head around this location. So much destruction (that we can't even blame on a war.....)

*tears
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I'm stumped. Historic Aerials is no help and literally nothing in that photo looks like anything remaining along Eighth within two or three blocks of Main. East of Main, there are 3 - THREE!! - remaining historic buildings on Eighth west of the highway. West of Main, there is nothing at all between Main and Central.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The streetcar viaduct ended at Walnut. The view is looking west. The first street down the hill is Main. The streetcar viaduct crossed over both Main and Delaware at 8th Street. Every building in this photo is gone.

http://tinyurl.com/n6bc7yq
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Sure that view isn't from Baltimore looking east? The abutment in the foreground looks an awful lot like the extant one on 8th between Baltimore and Main.

Also, the jog in the streetcar track matches the Baltimore-Delaware stretch on this map.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Swid, I think you are correct. If you look at the building on the left of the photo above the second story where that brick band runs, and then compare it to this photo below, it confirms it to me.

http://tinyurl.com/nez8man

So, the correct description is: A view of the 8th St. streetcar viaduct looking east from Baltimore as it crosses over Delaware and Main (the first street down the hill is Delaware).

The building on the left facing Delaware would have been the American Bank Building. Here is an image of that building before the viaduct was put in.

http://tinyurl.com/oxpk6bx

The other building in the posted photo above on the left side, that is partially cut out of the photo, is the Massachusetts Building.

Here is the viaduct crossing Delaware.

http://tinyurl.com/nztta36