50 Photos of Downtown KCK

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

50 Photos of Downtown KCK

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC is the way to be!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 50 Photos of Downtown KCK

Post by Tosspot »

Interesting subject matter. It kind of reminds of me downtown St. Joseph - two cities that almost made it but didn't quite make it to the finishing line of 20th century economic booms the way KCMO did (relatively speaking, of course).

I really like that downtown KCK police headquarters building.

As for that Unified Government building - it provides ample evidence of the horrors of post war civic architecture.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Tosspot wrote: Interesting subject matter. It kind of reminds of me downtown St. Joseph - two cities that almost made it but didn't quite make it to the finishing line of 20th century economic booms the way KCMO did (relatively speaking, of course).
Thanks, that's what I thought, too.
Tosspot wrote: I really like that downtown KCK police headquarters building.

As for that Unified Government building - it provides ample evidence of the horrors of post war civic architecture.
The KCK Police Headquarters Building is one of my favorites.  As for the Unified Government building, I'll need a little help with that...  Is that the one that is 3rd from the bottom?
KC is the way to be!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

AllThingsKC wrote: As for the Unified Government building, I'll need a little help with that...  Is that the one that is 3rd from the bottom?
This one...

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
DeadendLafayette
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DeadendLafayette »

(de-lurking) Thanks for the pics- more please! I'm always on the look-out for photos of KCK, particularly old ones. I lived in KCK as a kid from c.1954- 1962 near Parallel and 29th St. Is it possible that there could be photos of Parallel before it was widened into "Parallel Parkway"? I did find one at the KCMO library site that showed a streetcar at 27th&Parallel and shows Boy's Market, a little store I remember well.
KCforumer posted a bunch of pics of vintage KCK on page (I believe) 35 but all I get is the little red X's- any chance of a re-post?
BTW, I have a 1954 Polk directory for KCK, so if anyone wants something looked up, let me know.
Every few years I return to KCK and cruise thru the old neighorhood (even down Quuindaro :shock:), the last few times snapping pics. I'llpost a few when I can.
Thanks!
ps- does any one here remember:
Bryant's Market, 31st & Stewart or the little bar at 29th & Parallel? I drove my mom crazy trying to remember the name of it. Thanks!
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Vintage KCK

Post by Stockton »

The "Vintage KCK" photos came from the KCMO public library's website.

http://www.kcpl.lib.mo.us/localhistory/ ... areaID=761
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i went in this place a few weeks ago... very interesting!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

^ Did you tell them I was coming?  Because when I went there, I noticed the sign (in the top left section of the photo) and I thought, "Wow!  I better take a picture of that!"  :lol:
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I actually like KCK city hall.  Seems stately to me.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Has anyone eaten at  Los Caldos?
DeadendLafayette
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Vintage KCK

Stockton wrote: The "Vintage KCK" photos came from the KCMO public library's website.

http://www.kcpl.lib.mo.us/localhistory/ ... areaID=761
Thanks... dang, I was hoping it would be a bunch I'd never seen before. :(
Belle the dog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belle the dog »

Does anyone remember the superlative library building in downtown KCK that was demolished in the early 1960s?  Or, the old post office which was demolished a few years later?

Those were buildings with tremendous character.
DeadendLafayette
Pad site
Pad site

I visited the old library a few times with my dad. I remember it as being a little dark and austere. The surrounding park looked like freaking Eden compared to what's there now. I suppose if there were stone ponds with goldfish there now somebody would poison them. Sometimes we would visit the adjacent Huron Indian cemetery, in the shadow of the old Huron building. I still walk through it whenever I'm in town- it's the only cemetery I've ever known that doesn't give me the creeps. It would be a good subject for a photo shoot (hint hint).
  I LOVE reminiscences of old KCK.
Rich
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Nice, nice, nice! I got a kick out of the extra "K" in your watermark.  :)

The colors in the murals were vibrant. What a great way to enjoy that artwork, all the way from Roanoke.

I love the contrast of subjects in this one. Of course, I always like flowers. Especially pretty ones like this.

Thanks for posting!
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

DeadendLafayette wrote: (de-lurking)
Hi, DEL! I'm glad you joined us.
I'll post a few when I can.
Looking forward to seeing your pictures!
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Tosspot wrote: I really like that downtown KCK police headquarters building.

The KCKPD building used to be Montgomery Ward! I've always wondered and know I know, thanks to mlind.

Also, from looking at this thread again, I think I finally see what inspired the KCK city hall's architecture. But it is pretty ugly. Would have been cool if they had built a neater signature building. KCK sure has a knack for ugly buildings.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Stockton wrote: The KCKPD building used to be Montgomery Ward! I've always wondered and know I know, thanks to mlind.

Also, from looking at this thread again, I think I finally see what inspired the KCK city hall's architecture. But it is pretty ugly. Would have been cool if they had built a neater signature building. KCK sure has a knack for ugly buildings.
City Hall, AKA the Municipal Office Building, also has a helipad on the roof complete with the giant H. Of course it hasn't been used in ages.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Stockton wrote: I think I finally see what inspired the KCK city hall's architecture....
I take this back. Originally I thought the city hall was inspired by the Security Bank Building, but it must be the other way around. According to Skyscrapers.com, KCK city hall was built in 1973 and Security Bank in 1977. Also, Skyscrapers.com says originally the Security Bank building was to be 18 stories.

A couple of interesting facts: the tall tan-brick Crossline Towers (low income apartments) was originally the Towne House Hotel and still has a (dated) marble lobby. It, along with the Security Bank building are the only buildings in downtown KCK with revolving doors. Not only is the Crossline Towers low-income apartments, it houses those who have been kicked out of or rejected by the city's housing authority. There is a marble-adorned Cocaine (Crack) Anonymous group on the lobby level.
Last edited by Stockton on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Stockton wrote: I take this back. Originally I thought the city hall was inspired by the Security Bank Building, but it must be the other way around. According to Skyscrapers.com, KCK city hall was built in 1973 and Security Bank in 1977. Also, Skyscrapers.com says originally the Security Bank building was to be 18 stories.

A couple of interesting facts: the tall tan-brick Crossline Towers (low income apartments) was originally the Towne House Hotel and still has a (dated) marble lobby. It, along with the Security Bank building are the only buildings in downtown KCK with revolving doors. Not only is the Crossline Towers low-income apartments, it houses those who have been kicked out of or rejected by the city's housing authority. There is a marble-adorned Cocaine (Crack) Anonymous group on the lobby level.
The Town House Hotel was a big deal when it was built.  There was a restaurant on the ground floor and my next door neighbor was the hostess.