Road trip! Excelsior Springs!

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Road trip! Excelsior Springs!

Post by Tosspot »

I went to Excelsior on Saturday afternoon just for the hell of it. It turns out Devin and I missed each other by only a few minutes, as we were both photographing the town that day.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Road trip! Excelsior Springs!

Post by Thrillcekr »

Good one again TP.  If you keep this up, outsiders will be able to take a complete sight seeing tour of the area without ever leaving their living rooms.
CyDanny
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CyDanny »

Thrillcekr wrote: Good one again TP.  If you keep this up, outsiders will be able to take a complete sight seeing tour of the area without ever leaving their living rooms.
That's good though, because a lot of us are scared to even leave our suburban homes.  There may be..........you know........."minorities" outside my gated community.  OH THE HUMANITY!!!!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Too bad they have torn down so many of the buildings.  This town has so much potential to be a charming place for a quick getaway from KC.  Sorry it has slid so low, must have been quite a place 80 years ago with the dozens of hotels and people staying for weeks to take the waters.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

great pictures toss, that is amazing, minutes apart, and almost the same photos on many of them. It could be brought back, but they abandoned the water healing business. The main improvements to our downtown have just been street repavings and the renovation of the Hotel Oaks.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Thrillcekr wrote: Good one again TP.  If you keep this up, outsiders will be able to take a complete sight seeing tour of the area without ever leaving their living rooms.
he he, what do you think I'm doing right now!

These are great pics...both Toss and Devin.  Excelsior Springs is a sentimental favorite of mine as I spent a lot of time there as a kid following my dad to work during the summer. 
Last edited by Highlander on Wed May 02, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

With the currrent popularity of massage and spa treatment and natural healing it seems that the town could be revived as a new age center.  Worked for Eureka Springs which is far from any metro population.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

You have successfully captured Smalltown USA here. Of course, The Elms and the Hall of Waters have a rich history, well before even my time.  :shock:

Back in the 50s, my Brownie and/or Girl Scout troop visited the Hall on several occasions and went swimming in the indoor pool. I understand the place was a resort haven for the well-to-do back in the 30s. If a person had the funds, desire, and renovative passion, he could turn it into a moneymaker.

Here's an example, not far from where I live now. I've been to the Biltmore several times, and it is a joy to experience. http://www.biltmore.com

Excelsior Springs could easily be a vacation spot for millions, if done right. Several spots are ripe for museums.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)