Scarritt :: Part of the historic Northeast

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Scarritt :: Part of the historic Northeast

Post by Tosspot »

I went to Scarritt and came away with 87 photos. Here are 45 of them.
Saturday, Jan. 6, 2007.

I *think* this is all Scarritt anyway.
[center]

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Scarritt :: Part of the historic Northeast

Post by schugg »

this photo looks like it was taken in the 1930's  :)

great job tosspot!! I always find myself in this part of town when I'm roaming the city with nothing to do. I love this neighborhood and want to see it make a bigger comeback. where's your signature or watermark in this photo?
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

Oh nevermind, I see it.    :lol:
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

thanks schugg!  :cheers:

the northeast along with the westside are parts of this city that are fun to explore when one has the time.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

There's so much beauty in this part of the city.  Thank you for sharing these images here. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

thanks AG!

photoblog. 

Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Hey!
Got the back of my neighbor's house there!

Excellent work - as always! Nice to pics of our "hood". Love livin here!

Sportster
...my stompin grounds!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

glad you like, sportster. remember, you were the one who mentioned I should get pics of it.

photoblog. 

Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Awesome job TP.  I think that's the first photo thread anyone has ever done of Scarritt.  I've been through that neighborhood a quite a few times but admit that I've never taken the time to browse around and soak it up.  What a fantastic looking old hood.  I can see this area becoming a red hot real estate market if things continue to progress as they have in the core.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I like the black and white picture of the sun with the fountains in foregroundplay. What interesting architecture displayed in some of those big houses. Does anyone know when they were built? Here's an example:

Toss, did you brighten the front of the house in PS? I would think it would be darker with the sun behind. Great pics, as usual.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Roanoker wrote:
Toss, did you brighten the front of the house in PS? I would think it would be darker with the sun behind. Great pics, as usual.
A little bit....the foreground of the house was a tad too obscured in the original.

photoblog. 

Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Roanoker wrote: I like the black and white picture of the sun with the fountains in foregroundplay. What interesting architecture displayed in some of those big houses. Does anyone know when they were built? Here's an example:

An interesting note regarding this house specifically. If you remember the Robert Altman movie "Kansas City", this house was the home for unwed black mothers in the film. The front porch roof was re-built by the film crew using photos of the home from 1939 and earlier. The new roof on the porch however is composition while the rest of the home is adorned with an original slate roof.

(A slate roof can last anywhere from 75 - 125 years, depending on conditions over the roof. Replacement involves numbering tiles section by section, then carefully removing the brass or copper screws affixing them to the underlayment, and stacking them, according to row and number on another portion of the roof. The old felt is removed and new felt is laid down. The old tiles are then carefully replaced in their original position according to their number and row with new brass or copper screws.) We won't even get into replacing the membrane in box gutters here!  :shock:

340 S. Gladstone Blvd. Part of the Scarritt Pointe Historic District.

Originally built in 1889 for Lawrence Pembroke Brown, originally of St. Louis MO. He moved to Kansas City with his family and was in the commission and forwarding business with William H. Chick & Co, outfitting pack trains for the Santa Fe Trail. He later opened mercantile houses along the Union Pacific RR as it extended its rails to the west. After his death in 1893, his widow lived in the home for many years.

The house contains 16 rooms plus nine smaller rooms. Characteristic of its Queen Anne design, there are a variety of textures used on the facade, with a diversity of shingle styles. The wide, almost veranda-like, wrap around front porch is anchored on the North by the tower spanning three floors, capped with a conical roof. The turret on the south-east corner also boasts a slate, conical roof. A patterned brick chimney just from the roof which is hemmed with carved wood modillions. The interior woodwork is mostly oak and cherry and the floors are mostly heart pine. The home features 9 original fireplaces and continues to be restored to its original grandeur - a project that has spanned almost 17 years and 3 owners.

The home was featured in the 1990 Scarritt Reniassance Historic Homes Tour.

Toss - excellent work, simply fabulous!! Thanks a million!! 8) 8)

Sportster
...an excellent historic perspective and view!
Last edited by Sportster on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

don't be stingy.  let's see the other 42 pictures of kansas city's coolest neighborhood.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Sportster wrote: An interesting note regarding this house specifically. If you remember the Robert Altman movie "Kansas City", this house was the home for unwed black mothers in the film. The front porch roof was re-built by the film crew using photos of the home from 1939 and earlier. The new roof on the porch however is composition while the rest of the home is adorned with an original slate roof.

(A slate roof can last anywhere from 75 - 125 years, depending on conditions over the roof. Replacement involves numbering tiles section by section, then carefully removing the brass or copper screws affixing them to the underlayment, and stacking them, according to row and number on another portion of the roof. The old felt is removed and new felt is laid down. The old tiles are then carefully replaced in their original position according to their number and row with new brass or copper screws.) We won't even get into replacing the membrane in box gutters here!  :shock:

Originally built in 1889 for Lawrence Pembroke Brown, originally of St. Louis MO. He moved to Kansas City with his family and was in the commission and forwarding business with William H. Chick & Co, outfitting pack trains for the Santa Fe Trail. He later opened mercantile houses along the Union Pacific RR as it extended its rails to the west. After his death in 1893, his widow lived in the home for many years.

The house contains 16 rooms plus nine smaller rooms. Characteristic of its Queen Anne design, there are a variety of textures used on the facade, with a diversity of shingle styles. The wide, almost veranda-like, wrap around front porch is anchored on the North by the tower spanning three floors, capped with a conical roof. The turret on the south-east corner also boasts a slate, conical roof. A patterned brick chimney just from the roof which is hemmed with carved wood modillions. The interior woodwork is mostly oak and cherry and the floors are mostly heart pine. The home features 9 original fireplaces and continues to be restored to its original grandeur - a project that has spanned almost 17 years and 3 owners.

Toss - excellent work, simply fabulous!! Thanks a million!! 8) 8)

Sportster
Wow! No kidding! That certainly was an "interesting note"! Thank you, Sportster, for providing all the fascinating information. I think another tour is in order, and you should be the tour guide! Let me know when it will be, and I will try to make it back to Kansas City for the event. I'll pay for a ticket!
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Done.

The Scarritt Renaissance Neighborhood Association will be hosting their Historic Homes Tour this spring on May 19th & 20th. This home specifically isn't on the tour but we've got some others that should knock your shorts off. Specifically, our Keystone tour home will be 3500 Gladstone Boulevard. Built in 1897 for Edward "Lucky" Scarritt, it is the only house of its vintage in Kansas City which remains in the family for which it was originally built. Direct decendants of Nathan Scarritt, E. L. Scarritt's father own the home and have recently completed a major restoration effort.

At present, we have 5-6 homes and 2-3 gardens and 1-2 churches that will open their doors for tours that weekend. Additionaly, officials from the city's Landmarks Commission as well as the Jackson County Historical Society will present seminars on researching the history of your old home and how to have it nominated as a historic landmark.

For more information, keep track of our web site - www.scarrittneighborhood.org.
(sorry for the blatant marketing - its kinda relevant though)

Sportster
...get away to a different time without leaving the city!
Dr. Know
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Dr. Know »

Quote from: Sportster on January 07, 2007, 10:07:11 PM
An interesting note regarding this house specifically. If you remember the Robert Altman movie "Kansas City", this house was the home for unwed black mothers in the film. The front porch roof was re-built by the film crew using photos of the home from 1939 and earlier. The new roof on the porch however is composition while the rest of the home is adorned with an original slate roof.

(A slate roof can last anywhere from 75 - 125 years, depending on conditions over the roof. Replacement involves numbering tiles section by section, then carefully removing the brass or copper screws affixing them to the underlayment, and stacking them, according to row and number on another portion of the roof. The old felt is removed and new felt is laid down. The old tiles are then carefully replaced in their original position according to their number and row with new brass or copper screws.) We won't even get into replacing the membrane in box gutters here! 

Toss - excellent work, simply fabulous!! Thanks a million!! 

Sportster

Wow! No kidding! That certainly was an "interesting note"! Thank you, Sportster, for providing all the fascinating information. I think another tour is in order, and you should be the tour guide! Let me know when it will be, and I will try to make it back to Kansas City for the event. I'll pay for a ticket!
If this is the house at Smart & Gladstone, some friends of mine live here....a very cool house, and a lifetime of constant maintenance.  The third floor is a ballroom (currently unfinished).  But all n all they've done an awesome job.

In the 70's, there was an brothel run out of here.  Apparently, the operator murdered one of his "ladies" in the basement and is still in the slammer doing life.

It's amazing how this area has turned around. 
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Sportster wrote: Done.

The Scarritt Renaissance Neighborhood Association will be hosting their Historic Homes Tour this spring on May 19th & 20th.
I'll see what I can do to be there.
For more information, keep track of our web site - www.scarrittneighborhood.org.
Will do, thanks.
(sorry for the blatant marketing - its kinda relevant though)
Don't be sorry! It is relevant!
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

I have a question.  I've done a neighborhood search for Scarritt on a couple of real estate sites and it's not listed.  Is it known by another name as well?
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

I don't see Scarritt- anything on Reece and Nichol's site, but I love their map search.
http://www.reeceandnichols.com/consumer ... er=&Sort=6
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

just search zipcode 64123