YJ's

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

YJ's

Post by tat2kc »

am i being thin skinned or what?

I went to YJ's this morning for a latte, cause its close and I try to support local businesses. I went in at 7:25, the door was open, the staff was sitting at a table drinking coffee and reading the paper. She told me "we don't officially open until 7:30, so if you could just step back outside and wait 5 minutes, then step back in, I'll help you." Now, if she had been doing some prep work, or mopping the floors or whatever, I could possibly understand, but hell's bell's she was reading the damn paper and drinking coffee! I've worked retail and food service before, and I would have never considered telling a potential customer to go outside, wait 5 minutes and come back! Needless to say, I did not wait, i just left. Is this attitude common? I'd be happy to support a local coffee shop over starbucks, but with this attitude, I'd be at starbuck's in a heatbeat if they had a location near YJ's.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

YJ's

Post by Rooster_Ties »

That's pretty freaky if you ask me. So freaky, in fact, I'd pretend it never happened, go back there some other time, and see what kind of service you get then. If it's in anyway similar, I'd never set foot in the place ever again. (Who knows, it might have not been their regular person opening up the place that morning.)

Still, that's an ugly way to treat a customer.

I haven't been to YJ's in ages, but it was never that way when I was there - the few times I was there back around 2000-2001.
10-year resident of KCMO, who lives in the Volker neighborhood, near the West 39th Street corridor. I grew up outside of St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the river (near Belleville, IL).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

YJ's

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah very poor but give them another shot....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

YJ's

Post by trailerkid »

The general rule is... if the door is unlocked they should be serving you. I've never heard of such a thing...really good way to lose a customer.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

YJ's

Post by mean »

Perhaps you should write the manager or owner. I'm sure he/she wouldn't appreciate his/her staff treating customers in such a manner.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

YJ's

Post by KC0KEK »

If it happens again, just say: "That's okay. I didn't really want a coffee, anyway. Your boss sent me here to secret shop you guys, and I think I already have all of the information he needs."
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

YJ's

Post by Good2Great »

Thin skinned? Not for a grown man who confesses to a latte fixation. Toughen up sport, go to Jiffy Lube and tip back some Maxwell House.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

YJ's

Post by KC0KEK »

Good2Great wrote:Thin skinned? Not for a grown man who confesses to a latte fixation. Toughen up sport, go to Jiffy Lube and tip back some Maxwell House.
The one off Johnson Drive in Mission serves Folgers, but they're always out of creamer.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

YJ's

Post by Good2Great »

And what's the deal with NON-DAIRY CREAMER? Doesn't CREAMer implicitly suggest CREAM is used?

I suppose it's like the novelty of having a GARDEN Burger.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

YJ's

Post by MidtownGrrl »

I think it's the 'benefit' not needing to be refrigerated and it doesn't spoil quickly. It can also be low-fat, but not necessarily. And, some people are lactose-intolerant or don't eat dairy.

But, I prefer real cream or half-n-half.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

YJ's

Post by Good2Great »

Talk about lactose intolerance....I'd completely gas the place the out.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

YJ's

Post by tat2kc »

mmm nice picture Good! :wink: I am trying to be a good sport about it tho. I actually walked out without saying anything, I was so caught off guard. Then I was on the sidewalk, and thought to myself: "what the hell?" stood there for a minute, kinda confused, then just left. I've been there many times, and the reguar morning person knows me and what I get. Never saw this chick before.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

YJ's

Post by DiggityDawg »

"I'm lactose intolerant...I don't like lactose, & I won't stand for it. " - Seinfeld

I agree with the unlocked door theory - if they didn't wanna serve someone they should've kept it locked.