Cafe Beautiful

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Cafe Beautiful

Post by KCMax »

This is in Lawrence on Mass. Its easily the most unique dining experience I've ever had. We got a gift certificate from a friend as a gift, and he couldn't stop raving about this place, so we decided to check it out. Its a hole in the wall, right by Wa on Massachusetts in Lawrence. We walked up and at first I thought we were going to be dining at someone's apartment. It has been converted to look like kind of a restaurant, although it still very much looks like an apartment. There are just two tables and another room for a private dining area. We were the only ones there, even though the place was "booked solid for the night", and from talking to the server, they only handle 3-4 tables a night! There are only two employees - the server/host and the master chef. And this guy is incredible. The courses are all set for the night, and you get a soup, salad, appetizer, sashimi, sushi and dessert. The soup that night was miso with mussels and even though I don't care for miso, it was still fantastic. Not over-salty like a lot of places do. The salad was a fruit salad covered in ginger sauce. There was also an outstanding cucumber shrimp salad with some wasabi dressing. The appetizer was a fish patty with tofu topped with a potsticker. Yum. The sashimi was good for sashimi, but I don't care for it all that much - not much taste to it. But man, the sushi was out of this world.

This place is pricey! Our bill for 2 came to $95. The place relies entirely on word of mouth. They don't advertise at all and the sign on the door is pretty hidden. The server said they don't want to be too stressed out by the place and aren't out to make a ton of money. If you don't mind an extremely intimate dining experience, and a $100 bill, and you want to try some first class fine dining, give it a try. Reservations are required.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag