Restaurants in the mostly African-American part of KC??

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Rooster_Ties »

Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in the predominantly African-American part of Kansas City?? (I'm sure there are quite a few, but I must admit that I don't know what/where they are.)

My wife pointed out an ad in last week's Pitch for a brand new Caribbean restaurant at roughly 51st and the Paseo, and we're thinking of trying it out sometime in early July.

I figure that since so many of our favorite restaurants are all family-owned and run (Saigon 39, any of several Indian restaurants in the city, The Jerusalem Bakery, a couple Thai restaurants in Midtown, Georgia's, etc...), we might also really like some similarly non-corporate ethnic eateries in the "urban" urban core.

Trouble is, other than the couple places around 18th & Vine, I'm afraid I'm not very 'up' on what's happening --- how does it go??? --- east of Troost, west of 435, south of 70, and north of Banister Road. Like many (dare I say most?) white people in Kansas City, we don’t have frequent enough reason to explore that part of Kansas City -- something I’ve tried to overcome whenever I have a spare hour to just get in the car and drive around (which I enjoy doing whenever I get the chance).

Also, I seem to remember that there is (hopefully not already "was"??) an “Africanâ€
10-year resident of KCMO, who lives in the Volker neighborhood, near the West 39th Street corridor. I grew up outside of St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the river (near Belleville, IL).
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Why are you so careful with the word, "African?" African-American is just another term to use to single black people out as different. I don't see the point in using it.

If you're using the term "African" food, to describe food with origins on the continent of Africa, all I can think of is the Ethiopian(I think) market at about Main and 37th. If you're talking about soul food or barbecue, just drive down Prospect, and you will see all the restaurants you could want.

Johnny's Donuts at 44th and prospect is a particular favorite.
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Rooster_Ties »

To clarify, when I said "African American", I could have just as easily said "Black".

But, when I mentioned the "African" restaurant near Banister Mall, I meant specifically that they served "African" food, though from what country or countries specifically - I can't remember – Senegal perhaps?? (I only saw the review once, several months ago.)

I use the terms African American and Black interchangeably, depending on the audience. And being brand new to this board, I thought it best to err on the side of being too politically correct, rather than not PC enough. (Please note: I'm not saying that others should be PC. But it's been my own personal experience that it's good to get a gauge an the audience before being more colloquial.)

Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify my original post...

What are some of the best restaurants in the predominantly Black part of Kansas City??

Thanks!!!!
Last edited by Rooster_Ties on Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10-year resident of KCMO, who lives in the Volker neighborhood, near the West 39th Street corridor. I grew up outside of St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the river (near Belleville, IL).
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Are you looking for a particular cuisine like soul food, African, Jamaican, etc? or just looking for anything on the East Side? Here are some soul food places. I can't personally vouch for all of these, but I hear good things about all of them.

*Cornbread Cafe at the The Landing Mall (63rd and The Paseo)
*Peach Tree Buffet on Blue Parkway (more down home version of the other place at 18th and Vine)
*Maxine's at 31st and Benton
*and of course everyone's favorite, Stroud's at 85th and Troost.
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Rooster_Ties »

Various ethnic restaurants (African, Jamaican, etc) would be particularly interesting to hear about, as my wife and I are big fans of Vietnamese, Indian, Mediterranean, Middle-Eastern, and Thai restaurants. My wife likes spicy food, and I like mine a little spicy too (though not quite as hot as she likes).

I’m not much of a barbeque fan (I know, that's probably blasphemy to say in Kansas City!!), and we're probably not as interested in Soul Food, or "down home cookin’ " as it were. For instance, neither my wife and I are particularly excited by fried chicken, meatloaf, or mashed potatoes -– only because that’s what both sets of our parents raised us on (exclusively), so even now (we’re both in our mid 30’s), we’re a little burned out on main-stream American food (even when it's good).
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Rooster_Ties wrote:I’m not much of a barbeque fan (I know, that's probably blasphemy to say in Kansas City!!).
Same here. I've lived in KC for more than five years and have eaten barbeque twice. Just can't get into it, and it seems like a waste of good meat if it's covered in sauce that obliterates rather than complements its flavor. I grill at least once a week, but I don't consider that barbeque because I don't slather the meat with sauce.

Any other KC residents who aren't barbeque fans? Or are Rooster_Ties and I the only ones?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm plugging my ears trying not to hear you say that [-X

How about steak then, enjoy KC steakhouses, we have some great ones that aren't chains.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Two of my faves... Madry's on 39th just E of Main and Hot Tom Browns on 39th just W of Main. Also, is G's Jamaican still open at 70's and Troost? I liked that place. Also there's a good Afro-Mexican place at 70's and Prospect but can't remember the name.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Git-Yo-Chicken :wink:
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Madry's on 39th has been closed for quite awhile - they were supposed to have moved out to 87th Street somewhere, but I haven't checked it out yet. I LOVED that place.

Edit : just checked it out...they're on the SE corner of town now, kinda.

www.madrysdashofflavor.com
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

it's actually Git-Yo-Chikin-N-Fish