California Pizza Kitchen

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Does anybody know when this restaurant opens on the Plaza? Is it similar to Uno's? Better/Worse?

Also, what's going on next to Kaplan's fabrics and why is that place still on the Plaza. That entire strip is really coming alive with Kona, Re-Verse, Melting Pot and Granfaloon. Why is a fabric store still there? They should move to a less visible location IMO.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by KCPowercat »

Don't worry, Highwoods will get anything original out of there....I agree, their rent has to be so high on such a highly visable location.

Not sure what else is going on there.

I thought CPK was opening this month.....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by DiggityDawg »

Kaplan's is moving down 1 space, but I'll be damned if I can remember what's going into their old space. I read it somewhere, but I'm blanking on it now.

Anyone?
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by kcteen »

I've eaten at a CPK in vegas before. It was about 14 bucks for a pizza that two people could easily share, I think. I thought it was pretty damn good, so i'm excited to have one in KC. They make a lot of non-traditional pizzas. The one I ordered when I was there was Sante Fe chicken and it had chicken, guac, sour cream, etc on it. very good.

But, i wish CPK was moving into a location other than the old houlihans... :(

kcteen
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Some interesting info

Post by KCDowntown »

I have a friend who is currently training for the waitstaff at CPK. He told me that the CEO of the CPK used the president of Houlihan's. I checked out their website and it's true. I don't know exactly what this means. A jilted former employee? A person who's just in the know with KC? Nothing at all?

http://www.cpk.com/about/management.cfm

KCDowntown
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by trailerkid »

Could this mean more high profile locations for them in KC? Maybe Zona or Oak Park?
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by kcmajik »

i would guess that. i know in st. louis they are in the galleria and near or in other regional malls in the STL area.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by kcteen »

it's been open a few days now. I haven't gone in, but I walked by friday and saturday night and there was a HUGE line outside

KcTeen
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by bahua »

I find it surprising that it has taken KC this long for a place that sells screwy pizza to show up. Don't get me wrong, I love their pizza, but it's not like it's some revolutionary idea to put chicken and barbecue sauce on a pizza.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by dangerboy »

Never heard of this place, what's the deal with it? YANCUNT? (Yet Another Casual-Upscale National Thing) ? Sounds to me like a corporate version of Stone Canyon Pizza in Gladstone. Is it better than d'Bronx or Torre's?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by KCPowercat »

bahua...ever been to Minsky's? They've been serving BBQ (as your example) for years.

yup, just another national chain...Plaza is getting so UNIQUE lately.

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by KCN »

Yeah, what's happening to the Plaza? I'm almost giving up hope...the only thing unique about it now is the architecture. Maybe the SOLO district can emerge as something that shouts out unique and Kansas City.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by bahua »

Sigh. I heard that the Plaza used to have tons of shops that were unique to KC and the Plaza.

The SoLo/crossroads/garment/art/whatever district is currently booming, in my opinion. That will definitely be a very happening place within a few years, but the architecture will not be very distinct, I think.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by KCPowercat »

I was actually hoping the chains would flock to SOLO and leave the Plaza more up scale and unique.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by dangerboy »

bahua wrote:Sigh. I heard that the Plaza used to have tons of shops that were unique to KC and the Plaza.
It also used to have a Sears, a bowling alley, a grocery store, a barber shop, etc. So it has definitely changed over the years. As it has gone upscale it has become less unique.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by DanCa »

There's a California Pizza Kitchen in about every suburban mall here in So. California. They're not connected to food courts and have outdoor eating areas. The pizza is definitely good and different, but it's nothing all that special.

I also thought there was a CPK in the strip mall at 91st and Metcalf in OP. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by kcteen »

It also used to have a Sears, a bowling alley, a grocery store, a barber shop, etc.
The plaza does have a barber shop (on east side of plaza, next to where that french quiche place was and across from one of the parking garages PF chang's uses...can't remember the street name) and meiners is a grocery store.

KcTeen
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by Good2Great »

I had lunch there today. Great Thai Pizza, although it could have been more spicy. Small gripe. Decent atmosphere, decent pizza...about a 25 minute wait for each pizza.

Thumbs up.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

California Pizza Kitchen

Post by phxcat »

I think you are right, I was just thinking myself that there was (or still is) a CPK in the parking lot of the strip mall where Schnuck's used to be, about 91st and Metcalf.