Kansas City food festival

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Kansas City food festival

Post by KCPowercat »

There was an article in the Star awhile back about the EDC hosting the Oktoberfest again this year...anyways, another part of the article says they are going to start a couple new events, one at 18th & Vine and the other on the riverfront in May 2004 called "Kansas City Grand Classic" which sounds a lot like "Taste of {City}" in other cities.

Finally one of my prayers has been answered. KC has such great food, why hasn't a full scale food festival of KC cusine been around until now.

Anyways, looking forward to May 2004 for the Inagural event.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Kansas City food festival

Post by Rooster_Ties »

KC wrote:...the article says they are going to start a couple new events, one at 18th & Vine...
I used to LOVE the 18th & Vine Jazz Festival, which I went to every year starting in the fall of 1994 (when I first moved here). Then, when the museums and Gem opened up - they did away with the outdoor festival, and only did a big show at the Gem - which totally wasn't the same kind of thing.

The old 18th & Vine festival was (or so I learned later) - was one of the only really integrated events in Kansas City. The other jazz festivals - KC Blues & Jazz, and the short-lived (but wonderful!!) "International Jazz Festival" were both somewhat integrated too. But the old 18th & Vine festival was one of the few KC events with a "50/50" mix of whites and blacks. PLUS, it was good in that it encouraged people from the surrounding area (and suburbs) to visit 18th & Vine.

Anyway, I’m REALLY glad to hear that there will hopefully be a new ‘big’ outdoor event at 18th & Vine.
10-year resident of KCMO, who lives in the Volker neighborhood, near the West 39th Street corridor. I grew up outside of St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the river (near Belleville, IL).