Record Bar on Westport Road

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Record Bar on Westport Road

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

pash wrote:I've heard vaguely that they've been looking at space in the West Bottoms.
God, I hope not.

I wish they would start their shows earlier on weeknights. Headliners on at 12-12:15 is ridiculous.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

kucer wrote:
pash wrote:I've heard vaguely that they've been looking at space in the West Bottoms.
God, I hope not.

I wish they would start their shows earlier on weeknights. Headliners on at 12-12:15 is ridiculous.
Seconded. Maybe as the proprietors get older.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

They said it was going to be a big deal - maybe they finally figured out a use for Kemper. Kind of big room..
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

One of the owners took a tour of some properties at the 42nd and 43rd blocks of Troost. Look's like liquor license difficulty could be the greatest obstacles in those spots. Still would love to see a restaurant/bar/non diy punk venue exist outside of the...uh...designated entertainment districts in town.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

JBmidtown wrote:One of the owners took a tour of some properties at the 42nd and 43rd blocks of Troost. Look's like liquor license difficulty could be the greatest obstacles in those spots. Still would love to see a restaurant/bar/non diy punk venue exist outside of the...uh...designated entertainment districts in town.
The old Katz Drugstore at Troost & Linwood would be an incredible spot for the new Record Bar. I guess I'd also accept the old Katz at Westport & Main, but doubt that spot is getting picked up anytime soon.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

JBmidtown wrote:One of the owners took a tour of some properties at the 42nd and 43rd blocks of Troost. Look's like liquor license difficulty could be the greatest obstacles in those spots. Still would love to see a restaurant/bar/non diy punk venue exist outside of the...uh...designated entertainment districts in town.
I do think getting the necessary neighborhood approval for the liquor license on Troost would be incredibly difficult for the Record Bar. I think neighbors would rally against a license for anything besides a restaurant, and as much as I would like to see something like this on Troost, I can't blame them.

I do think that if there could be just one destination spot to draw people to Troost - be it a restaurant, venue, bar, theater, cafe, whatever -it could really get the ball rolling for some actual change.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I would hope the RB's solid reputation and longevity/lack of drama at their previous location would count for something. Plus they have good food.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Well there was that plan to split the venue element and restaurant element. I didn't ask Steve but I figured he was primarily looking for a restaurant only space.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

El Torreon would have been a good spot.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I've noticed the Madrid theater on main has started booking concerts after the New Year. I don't recall them being too active for a few years. Maybe this is an indication of Record Bar moving to the Madrid?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Madrid is a great venue. Seems a little big for what the Record Bar generally does, but it's possible.

Whatever it takes to get more shows to that venue is good with me. Saw The Hardworking Americans there a few months ago - was a good time. Sounds was a bit off that night, but I've heard things sound good there in the past.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The Guster show there is a Mammoth production. Don't remember them booking RB shows.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

grovester wrote:The Guster show there is a Mammoth production. Don't remember them booking RB shows.
You're probably right. I'm just rumormongering.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:I would hope the RB's solid reputation and longevity/lack of drama at their previous location would count for something. Plus they have good food.
not really. that reputation doesn't extend far enough into the community.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

If the neighborhood isn't interested in due diligence then they deserve whatever they get or more likely don't get.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:If the neighborhood isn't interested in due diligence then they deserve whatever they get or more likely don't get.
and if you said that to most KCMO neighborhoods, they'd tell you: "no matter. we don't want a bar". since they most likely drive everywhere, walking to a show in their own neighborhood is simply not a consideration. if a neighborhood is attractive, they will still be able to attract other types of retail -- including restaurants that serve liquor.

people forget why some of these regulations are in place... most bars are NOT like the record bar, but you can't restrict the process to only people who bring great independent bands and serve the occasional good meal. i would venture that RB is classified as a "tavern" (vs. "restaurant") and they probably only serve food so they can be open on sundays. that type of license also includes problematic dives and dumps that give major heartburn to neighborhoods.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:
grovester wrote:If the neighborhood isn't interested in due diligence then they deserve whatever they get or more likely don't get.
and if you said that to most KCMO neighborhoods, they'd tell you: "no matter. we don't want a bar". since they most likely drive everywhere, walking to a show in their own neighborhood is simply not a consideration. if a neighborhood is attractive, they will still be able to attract other types of retail -- including restaurants that serve liquor.

people forget why some of these regulations are in place... most bars are NOT like the record bar, but you can't restrict the process to only people who bring great independent bands and serve the occasional good meal. i would venture that RB is classified as a "tavern" (vs. "restaurant") and they probably only serve food so they can be open on sundays. that type of license also includes problematic dives and dumps that give major heartburn to neighborhoods.
I think that's an attitude that has adversely effected the character of neighborhoods in Kansas City. Instead of having meaningful interaction between businesses and residents by relaxing restrictions on what businesses are allowed to do and where they're allowed to do it, Kansas City has developed entertainment ghettos. If you want to shop for (decent) groceries, go to a restaurant, watch a band play or see a performance, buy a book, drink coffee, etc. you TYPICALLY have to go to one of 3 or 4 epicentres for commercial activity. Meanwhile, the only meaningful redevelopment continues closer to these Westports, Downtowns, and Plazas while any kind of commercial activity that could benefit the Eastside is blocked because zoning or, in this case, the will of neighborhood associations.

I'm also not sure how a venue or bar would be inappropriate for these parcels? Is it their proximity to residents in Manheim or Hyde Park? How is their proximity different than Roanoke or the numerous neighborhoods east of Broadway to Westport? Or any number of downtown units to Power and Light? Why does all meaningful commercial activity have to happen solely in these entertainment districts, with meaningful development only occurring near these districts?

Troost and Prospect are both perfectly set up to work like a Mission Street. You have long standing mixed use buildings that are densely connected to residential neighborhoods. Both streets are main arteries in the transit system. If you attract retail, including "dives and dumps" you already give that neighborhood some type of point of gathering and character and will attract more businesses to that strip. At least much more so than a bunch of vacant, underutilized and barely maintained building stock that adds to the emptying out of the neighborhood.

I can't see why a business couldn't be allowed to have at least a year long test run in these spaces to see if they can comply with neighborhood association rules and act as a boon for further investment in the area. Blocking any use and holding out for high end establishments is unrealistic and more toxic than helpful.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Believe it or not there are many people who prefer living in nice, quiet neighborhoods. They may want a small, quiet mom and pop bar or two that services a neighborhood but they don't want an attraction that people from miles around would visit for a few hours and leave.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JBmidtown wrote:I can't see why a business couldn't be allowed to have at least a year long test run in these spaces to see if they can comply with neighborhood association rules and act as a boon for further investment in the area. Blocking any use and holding out for high end establishments is unrealistic and more toxic than helpful.
no one is saying high end, just something useful to them that won't be a nuisance if you live nearby -- if they're serving liquor. most homeowners would say that's NOT a venue like record bar. the consent process is for individual property owners (commercial AND residential), not neighborhood associations.

the other complication is a loophole that allows another business to buy someone out and get the license with no additional consent process. it makes people a lot less willing to support an applicant when they could sell to someone who'll be less of a good neighbor.