Record Bar on Westport Road

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Record Bar on Westport Road

Post by DaveKCMO »

myxomatosis wrote: I wish I went Friday night to see the other local stuff.
i went friday night and really enjoyed Ad Astra Per Aspera's performance. and yes, a good place to see live music. beats the hurricane any old day.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I really like this place, they really strive to bring the music. the food is great, the service was like a well oiled precision machined german..something.

the only problem: [glow=red,2,300]4 dollar pints of boulevard[/glow]. and they have a nice overall selection of beers on tap to tempt you with too. i guess thats the price you pay for a quality experience...

the only other thing is that it would be awesome if they had outdoor seating...i like to get out of the smoke from time to time, and enjoy drinking in the out-of-doors.

i whine because this place could be perfect (it is already good) for my personal tastes.

i am done whining.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

warwickland wrote: Ithe only problem: [glow=red,2,300]4 dollar pints of boulevard[/glow]
If you know of places where it is not $4, please list them.  (I only care about places that stock Stout or Porter, though.)  :)    It's $4 at all my usual haunts.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

scooterj wrote: If you know of places where it is not $4, please list them.  (I only care about places that stock Stout or Porter, though.)  :)    It's $4 at all my usual haunts.
of course ponaks is $2.25.
harlings (at least the last time) had extremely reasonable pitchers.
grinders is $3?
daves stagecoach is $2 (smaller mug)

i have an idea.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

The Record Bar has a buy-in trivia night every Thursday evening at 7PM.  8)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

They used to have a great tap selection when it was Molloy Brothers. It was the third-best selection in town. They told me when they did the reformat that the tap selection wouldn't change. I eagerly went back a couple weeks later, and saw about half as many taps as they'd had before, and they'd sullied the previously awesome selection with a bunch of Big Three beers.

I like their trivia night, though I haven't been to it in ages. Do they still do that on Thursday nights?
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Great band from Portland playing here tonight. 

Blind Pilot: http://www.myspace.com/goblindpilot

Highly recommend it if you don't have plans already.  They opened for The Decemberists at the Uptown a couple months ago.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Apparently recordbar is getting kicked out of their space come Jan 1, 2016. They say they are looking for a new space and are trying to stay in midtown, but will have to go where ever they can land.

https://www.facebook.com/recordBar
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kboish wrote:Apparently recordbar is getting kicked out of their space come Jan 1, 2016. They say they are looking for a new space and are trying to stay in midtown, but will have to go where ever they can land.

https://www.facebook.com/recordBar

That sucks. It's a bit of an awkward venue sometimes, but I thought it was greatly improved when they moved the soundboard out of the way. Hope they find a good spot.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Many seemed to complain about it being in a strip mall anyway, maybe they'll find a more 'urbane' location.

E end of Westport or Xroads seems more suitable location.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I think they'll find a good location. At least they didn't find this out in December.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

How about take over the World Market building? Or, they could just go away. I went there for breakfast once and me and my whole party got sick as a dog afterward. Yeah, I'm still bitter.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

it would be awesome if they went into the old Osco Drug, but isn't "something" kind of sort of in there now?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

beautyfromashes wrote:How about take over the World Market building? Or, they could just go away. I went there for breakfast once and me and my whole party got sick as a dog afterward. Yeah, I'm still bitter.
They talked about splitting the food and venue parts of the business up. I don't love their food - but I like some of the dinner shows they do. Would be a shame to lose that.

Is World Market closing? That's kind of a big spot. Would be interesting.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

While it is unfortunate for the Record Bar to be forced to move, hopefully this will end up being a net positive. I have never been fond of the strip mall location.

Maybe they will end up with a bigger and better space, or end up in a location that gives a much needed boost to a struggling or nascent entertainment district. Some spots that come to mind would be Westport Rd east of Brodaway (maybe the old XO spot, if it hasn't been demoed yet), somewhere around Martini Corner (maybe there is room in the old El Torreon/now Bridgeport Church complex), or perhaps on Broadway somewhere around 34th-37th.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

El Torreon is already being used as a music venue (but is being repaired due to roof collapse).
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

They should go into the spot where the Open Fire Pizza place was, this was a huge building and I think its still for sale.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

No update yet on the move, but some hopeful and encouraging statements made by the owners on something potentially "big".
“We have one plan, which would be a big deal, a really big deal, if we can make it happen,” Tulipana said. “Plan B is to go smaller. We haven’t looked for a place for that yet.”
http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... 71508.html
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

What about that City Ice building by Indigo Wild Soap? I know they had some shows at this place a few years ago, not sure how big the venue is though. Probably a little isolated of a location though.