KC STEAKS AND BBQ

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by phxcat »

I've had Texas Toast, but this was a bun, kind of a roll. I guess I can just chalk it up to 'everything's bigger in Texas', but I would prefer if they would use a little common sense about exactly how much bigger in certain circumstances.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by phxcat »

[/quote]
BTW, while there are about 80 BBQ places in KC, I read that there are over 100 Mexican and over 200 Asian restaurants in KC.
That's because if you eat barbeque more than a few times a month you will die young! Mmmm.... death by barbeque...
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by QueSi2Opie »

phxcat wrote:Does anyone know anything about Texas bbq? I have been searching for a good BBQ joint around here, and I think some people just throw a roast in the oven and throw sauce on it. There is a place near here with Texas BBQ, and the bred on hte sandwich was freakin huge! It was so big that you couldn't taste the meat. We just had catering by El Paso BBQ, which is the closest they have here to Gates, and it was not too bad, but once again, the bred was huge! The sandwich holds together, but there is more bread than meat and the bread dominates the palet. Is this a Texas thing?
I'm thinkin' about tryin' this Famous Dave's BBQ near the Speedway...I guess that'll be the first time I'll try Texas BBQ. I'm hopin' to be disappointed because I can't imagine BBQ w/ better flavor than Gates or Arthur Bryants.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by KCN »

phxcat, thats odd because Ive never had huge buns like that down here.

If there's is one thing that Texas specializes in, it's giving you a LOT of meat.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by DiggityDawg »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
phxcat wrote:I'm thinkin' about tryin' this Famous Dave's BBQ near the Speedway...I guess that'll be the first time I'll try Texas BBQ. I'm hopin' to be disappointed because I can't imagine BBQ w/ better flavor than Gates or Arthur Bryants.
You better steer clear of Oklahoma Joe's, too. :P

I'm with you on finding Bryant's awesome, but am I the only one in this town that thinks Gates is REALLY overrated?
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by StL_Dan »

DiggityDawg wrote:
QueSi2Opie wrote:
phxcat wrote:I'm thinkin' about tryin' this Famous Dave's BBQ near the Speedway...I guess that'll be the first time I'll try Texas BBQ. I'm hopin' to be disappointed because I can't imagine BBQ w/ better flavor than Gates or Arthur Bryants.
You better steer clear of Oklahoma Joe's, too. :P

I'm with you on finding Bryant's awesome, but am I the only one in this town that thinks Gates is REALLY overrated?
I wasn't impressed with my first helping of OK Joe's.

Bryant's IS awesome. I'm steadily weaning myself off the sweet sauce and onto the original Bryant's recipe.

I LOVE Gates' burnt end sammich with fries. Try this the next time your there....order the burnt end sammich and a side of cole slaw. Then, slather the cole slaw on the meat from end to end, then douse it with the spicy bbq sauce. Load up on ketchup for your fries, and you'll walk outta that place fat and happy.

The sammich I just described is known as the "Fat Deacon". The Fat Deadon is an actual menu item at Jack Stack. Their version is wonderful too. Great for lunch.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by DiggityDawg »

That does sound pretty damn tasty. Speaking of sammiches with cole slaw on 'em, you ever had the Wild Bill at D'Bronx? Oof.

The key to Oklahoma Joes is getting the chicken. Mmmm...velvety. The Z-Man sammich is awful good, too.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by kcmajik »

this is making me mad - the virginia bbq is terrible! and everyone out here thinks it's great. it reminds me of that briskett stuff that has been city in the deli all day long and is tougher than a leather belt. and yeah they use kc masterpiece on everything!
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by StL_Dan »

DiggityDawg wrote:That does sound pretty damn tasty. Speaking of sammiches with cole slaw on 'em, you ever had the Wild Bill at D'Bronx? Oof.

The key to Oklahoma Joes is getting the chicken. Mmmm...velvety. The Z-Man sammich is awful good, too.
I've wrote D'Bronx off long ago. The food, pizza in particular, never really impressed me. However, in a last ditch attempt, I will order a Wild Bill to see if D'Bronx can win me back.

I'll also try the Z-Man chix at OK Joe's and let you know what I think.

Happy dining,
Dan
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by KC0KEK »

Amazing. Salt Lake City is ranked, but KC doesn't make the list:

http://local.msn.com/special/results/2003_bbq.asp
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by phxcat »

I saw that too this morning. I don't think those are city rankings, I thinkt thosew are just rankings within each of those cities- and I think they use a set list of cities for that and other rankings. That title, though- "its all about the sauce" kind of sums up what they know about barbeque!
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by kcmajik »

i about crapped my pants when i saw that list and Kansas City wasn't on there. what nin-com-poop made that list anyway? one that must not know where barbecue COMES FROM!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

KC STEAKS AND BBQ

Post by KCPowercat »

Well MSN might not think we're in but I just went on a rampage.

Sunday afternoon Gates sandwich and fries

Tonight A.B. burnt end sandwich and beans.

NO MORE BBQ FOR ME (for at least a day)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc