Imperial Brewery (across from Margaritas)

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Imperial Brewery (across from Margaritas)

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: I would guess it will need some kind of specialty use like office or light manufacturing.  The access will be really challenging for housing or retail.
Yeah I would think housing would be challenged by the proximity to the interstate - no matter how thick the windows, there is going to be some significant road noise around the clock in the units that are spitting distance from the traffic lanes. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i mentioned this in another thread one time. a group of investors from the river club and a couple of chefs ( with myself included ) wanted to open the barbecue hall of fame in that building. and the investors had some big pockets. but we could get no cooperation on state or local level, them basically adding one access road, they would not even consider it.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

yeah, there's not a big push to ADD grade crossings to live rail lines. :(
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I'm not much of a developer, and I imagine Mr. Dean Jr. has a lot of money, but I'm pretty sure there aren't enough incentives in this hemisphere to make that project work, whatever the use. I will be hugely surprised if it doesn't come down.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

After looking at the map, I think an office or light industrial use could be viable by making this property an extension of the Cambridge Circle business park.  It looks like Dean could fairly easily extend Cambridge Circle's street network to connect to the brewery, with just a short bit of road going east from 28th and Wyoming. 

Cambridge Circle itself is a pain to access, so I still don't see anything high traffic like retail or restaurant being viable.  And I'd be surprised if the city allowed residential in this spot.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: After looking at the map, I think an office or light industrial use could be viable by making this property an extension of the Cambridge Circle business park.  It looks like Dean could fairly easily extend Cambridge Circle's street network to connect to the brewery, with just a short bit of road going east from 28th and Wyoming. 

Cambridge Circle itself is a pain to access, so I still don't see anything high traffic like retail or restaurant being viable.  And I'd be surprised if the city allowed residential in this spot.
The aerial doesn't do a very good job of showing the cliff between the business park and the  brewery.  I doubt coming in from the topside is very viable at all without some massive engineering.  I would think the most viable route would be to build access just west of the tracks off the little road that runs behind Don's 5.2% Beer and turns into w29th (in the lower left hand of the aerial).  But you would probably need to negotiate an easement with the railroad and/or whoever owns that industrial business on w29th. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The aerial doesn't do a very good job of showing the cliff between the business park and the  brewery.  I doubt coming in from the topside is very viable at all without some massive engineering. 
Challenging topography is considered a "blighting" condition under Missouri's TIF law ;)
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Regardless of the many challanges, I for one with him the best of luck and hope that a viable reuse can be had.  It is too great of a link to our past to let come down. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That would make an awesome brewery again, but I can't see much other use for it due to the location. Maybe offices. Too bad, it's a great building.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I don't know if this is news or not, but I saw a big banner across the building today advertising it for sale (from Dean Realty) that I don't ever remember seeing before.  I may have just missed it, or maybe it's being more actively marketed.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

The search function on this board REALLY sucks. I posted something about this here
http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 83#p411183

looks like Dean gave up on the site.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

heatherkay wrote: The search function on this board REALLY sucks. I posted something about this here
http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 83#p411183

looks like Dean gave up on the site.
I drove by Tuesday and did not see the words FOR SALE.  Did I miss something, or are they just hyping their location for things to come?
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Hmmmm...maybe the words "FOR SALE" weren't there, but that was certainly the impression I got.

As for the search function, I just use Google "search term site:forum.kcrag.com" and it solves some problems.  Usually gives the print version of a page rather than forum view, but deleting "action=printpage;" from the URL sets you right.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KMBC gets tour of old Imperial Brewery.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/Go ... index.html
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50310469/ns/l ... s_city_mo/

Can't imagine that place surviving a fire. A shame, but never seemed like that site was ever going to turn into anything.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

grovester wrote:http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50310469/ns/l ... s_city_mo/

Can't imagine that place surviving a fire. A shame, but never seemed like that site was ever going to turn into anything.
This is indeed unfortunate, however; if KCMO and MODOT wanted to move Interstate 35 around the west side than I always thought the ideal spot would be where 35N curves in the direction on where the Brewery is located. Not that I would have advocated tearing down this building to do so, but it seems like the ideal spot.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Pork Chop wrote:
grovester wrote:http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50310469/ns/l ... s_city_mo/

This is indeed unfortunate, however; if KCMO and MODOT wanted to move Interstate 35 around the west side than I always thought the ideal spot would be where 35N curves in the direction on where the Brewery is located. Not that I would have advocated tearing down this building to do so, but it seems like the ideal spot.
I've been saying that for years. +++
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Drove by this morning and can't see a lick of difference. Gotta love structural brick.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »