beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: beer.

Post by mean »

Depends on what you consider "beer" but yeah, pretty much. The radler is slightly weaker, at 4.0% to wheat's 4.4%. I wouldn't consider that significant, but I've no horse in this race. I haven't tried it and don't understand why it exists.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

FYI - Thou Mayest now has a couple Torn Label brews on tap, though I haven't yet tried them.

The Biz Journal claims Border Brewing is opening across the street on Feb. 21. Double Shift to follow next door.

2015 should be exciting times for the East Crossroads, and microbrews in KC. Still waiting for Cinder Block to start canning...
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

rxlexi wrote:FYI - Thou Mayest now has a couple Torn Label brews on tap, though I haven't yet tried them.

The Biz Journal claims Border Brewing is opening across the street on Feb. 21. Double Shift to follow next door.

2015 should be exciting times for the East Crossroads, and microbrews in KC. Still waiting for Cinder Block to start canning...
I would settle for some Cinder Block distribution if nothing else. I love the place, but it is hard for me to drink much beer north of the river. EDIT: Mostly because I'm a poor swimmer.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I would settle for some Cinder Block distribution if nothing else. I love the place, but it is hard for me to drink much beer north of the river. EDIT: Mostly because I'm a poor swimmer.
Super easy bike ride to the loop along MO-9 bridge. Even easier to City Market. :)
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

rxlexi wrote:
Super easy bike ride to the loop along MO-9 bridge. Even easier to City Market. :)
I suppose if I'm being double-whiny what I'm really trying to get at is I want them to be on tap at Milwaukee Deli so I can get my pizza and beer together. Guess I could just get a growler and take-out. Or take my Deli to Cinder Block.

This world is so complex.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i'm planning a serious KC weekend, now. i can't believe i haven't spent a full weekend in KC in sooo long. so many new breweries to try.

i'd like to see a sticky thread list of kc breweries, seperated by brewpubs and production only. pleeease?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

http://www.reddit.com/r/KansasCityBeer/

They have a sticky sidebar.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

grovester wrote:http://www.reddit.com/r/KansasCityBeer/

They have a sticky sidebar.
i'm too lazy and set-in-my-ways to go to reddit.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Ok, how about this one, it's local and there are no comments from teenagers.

http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/p/beer-t ... uides.html
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I'm surprised a list like that isn't a sticky on craftbeerkc.com, to be honest.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I need a new go-to beer!

I do most of my drinking at Zoo Bar, but after several years I'm starting to get bored with my standard go-to selections. I'm going to ask them to stock something new for me, but I'd prefer it to be local/regional. Difficulty: No kegs -- has to be bottled (or canned).

So, to get my creativity going, what are some local/regional breweries -- say, within a 100 mile radius (but preferably KC metro) -- that offer their beer in bottles (or cans)? APART from the obvious answer of Bouelvard! :)

Go!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Tallgrass and Defiance have some great options. I love Velvet Rooster by Tallgrass, but Manhattan is 110 miles away. Defiance Thrasher would be a good one to have as a go-to since it is a session IPA, but it is 266 miles away (Hays, KS). I've never really liked Flying Monkey's stuff. If you want to match those parameters, you're down to Free State and Weston Brewing Co. I seem to enjoy Weston's stuff more when I am at Irish Fest in the pub. Free State is fine, but they don't seem to be pushing the envelope beyond where they were 15 years ago.

I haven't tried all of the new guys on the scene, but Cinder Block is my favorite brewery in the metro I have tried outside of Boulevard (but won't meet your bottle/can requirement). I feel like KC Bier Co. does a quality job of Euro style beer, but it isn't particularly exciting (or in a bottle/can?). I really want to like all the locals, but Border Brewery tasted like it was made with tainted water.
Last edited by bobbyhawks on Thu May 21, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Free State bottles stuff.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I was hoping for something more local, but I forgot that Nebraska Brewing is really good. I'll have to see if they can get some of that unless something else sounds even better. :)
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

scooterj wrote:I need a new go-to beer!

I do most of my drinking at Zoo Bar, but after several years I'm starting to get bored with my standard go-to selections. I'm going to ask them to stock something new for me, but I'd prefer it to be local/regional. Difficulty: No kegs -- has to be bottled (or canned).

So, to get my creativity going, what are some local/regional breweries -- say, within a 100 mile radius (but preferably KC metro) -- that offer their beer in bottles (or cans)? APART from the obvious answer of Bouelvard! :)

Go!
Have you tried anything by logboat out of Columbia. I'm drinking a snapper IPA out of a can and I enjoy it
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Tried the Torn Label tap room this evening. Small interior space, maybe 25 seats. They have a deck which will be nice once the weather breaks, as it's west facing. Good beers, about 6 choices, tried the Lumber Lung and Monk and Honey. Once Howard's opens I can see grabbing a burger and heading here for beverages.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

grovester wrote:Tried the Torn Label tap room this evening. Small interior space, maybe 25 seats. They have a deck which will be nice once the weather breaks, as it's west facing. Good beers, about 6 choices, tried the Lumber Lung and Monk and Honey. Once Howard's opens I can see grabbing a burger and heading here for beverages.
Tell me more.