beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: beer.

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I am really digging Miami Creek Brewery. I have been both weekends they have been open. Really love the Lavender Saison and Kona Coffee Stout. I really like the quaint setting. Think Winery out in the middle of nowhere but with Beer.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bobbyhawks wrote:
pash wrote:chingon is just trying to pick a fight with the pinot-drinkers among us. ...

The real running gag was that what's-his-name spent the whole movie shitting on merlot while rhapsodizing about his bottle of '61 Cheval Blanc, which was half merlot.
Ha. I've had some amazing pinots, but probably 85% of the time, it reminds me of boring alcoholic, watered-down Welch's grape juice. I definitely haven't been exposed to much of the good stuff, but you are frequently in the $40+/bottle range which wasn't historically something I could afford. That bias has stuck with me.

I must say that the movie soured me against merlots as it was released early in my exposure to more sophisticated wines. Definitely a good idea to stay away from merlot in my mind if all you have available is uber budget wine, but all rules are made to be broken. I also had a hard time accepting rosè since I always associated it with white zinfandel, but there are all sorts of things lately that are making me rethink what can be good. Sparkling red wine is pretty fantastic, and I didn't even know about it until recently.
there are killer merlots and pinots out there. and (for better and worse) there are many quite aggressive pinots, usually american (northern cal and parts of oregon). some of the best wine i've ever tasted were pinot (burgundy). rose can also be quite delicious and has very little to do with the super sweet "white zin" that is basically a wine cooler. indeed some winemakers are making a so-called white zin in a dry-rose style and they, too, are good.

it is somewhat true that you have to spend a bit more to get a decent pinot, but you don't have to get up in the $40 range. talk to jim at gomer's and he'll sort you out.

re: merlot, it's a shame that "sideways" kind of killed merlot for a long time, there is nothing wrong with merlot. there is, however, a lot wrong with bad merlot, but there are bad examples of wine made from any varietal.

i like beer plenty, but drink wine 98% of the time.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Maybe break this off into a wine thread? I'm always just as interested in what is going on in the region in that regard.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Some of you may enjoy this.

http://www.brewerymap.com/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Thanks for that!
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

missingkc wrote:Some of you may enjoy this.

http://www.brewerymap.com/
Anyone heard of Doodle Brewing in Liberty? That was a new one for me, web address has been abandoned.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I had forgotten Doodle existed; they weren't around very long, and only ever released one beer.

Semi-related, has anyone been to Brewery Emperial? I went a couple weeks ago; their outdoor space should do well once spring rolls around.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

swid wrote:I had forgotten Doodle existed; they weren't around very long, and only ever released one beer.

Semi-related, has anyone been to Brewery Emperial? I went a couple weeks ago; their outdoor space should do well once spring rolls around.

I've been a few times. I think they did a nice job with the inside of the place too (in addition to the patio). The bar top itself is very cool - a wood/concrete mix. And, as opposed to many of the other taprooms in the area, this place is a brew pub, and has its own kitchen (Ted Habiger from Room 39 is a principle and runs the kitchen). I've only eaten there once, but like what they're doing.

The beers are great so far - Milk Stout, Porter, IPA, Kolsch and a "Biscuit" (kind of a malty ale) are all excellent. Keith Thompson (who was at McCoys for a long time) is the brewer and does excellent work.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I've been to Emperial once and I'll second WSPanic: Beer and food are top notch.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I'll third that.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Ugh, that website though...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:I've been to Emperial once and I'll second WSPanic: Beer and food are top notch.
the milk stout is delicious.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Agree on the beer, it's fantastic. Haven't tried the food yet but I'm anxious to give that a shot. Have been very impressed with the bartenders and their attentiveness as well.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote:Agree on the beer, it's fantastic. Haven't tried the food yet but I'm anxious to give that a shot. Have been very impressed with the bartenders and their attentiveness as well.
i had the burger. not exceptional, but solid (and substantial) for $10 with fries.

agreed about the service. it was very warm, yet professional. i chalk that up to ted's involvement.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

99 pages of beer on the wall!
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I had Boulevard's Kolsch the other night. Good, solid light beer. Reason for the post...I was surprised it is contract brewed by Firestone Walker (according to the fine print on the can). Didn't know Boulevard was doing that. I looked it up to confirm what I suspected, but Firestone is also now owned by Duvel.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yup. The KC Brewery now brews Firestone Walker, Blvd, and Ommengang. Likewise, those breweries brew Blvd at their locations. I'm not sure if they do Duvel or if that is actually imported. Ahh capitalism.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Yup. The KC Brewery now brews Firestone Walker, Blvd, and Ommengang. Likewise, those breweries brew Blvd at their locations. I'm not sure if they do Duvel or if that is actually imported. Ahh capitalism.
Hmm - not a fan.

On another note I bought two 6ers of Torn Label (House Brew and Alpha Pale Ale) last week - was pleasantly surprised to see them in the cooler at Grand Slam of all places. They're doing pretty good stuff, wish it was easier to get some of their more unique offerings.

Went to Voltaire last Friday and noticed that Stockyards Brewing in WB was a little slow - hope they're doing well in that location and need to stop in for a couple soon. New Golden Ox should help.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

For Torn Label special releases, the strategy is basically:

1 - is it Thursday afternoon? If yes, go to:
2 - what's listed on Torn Label's Instagram/FB feeds as going on-tap tonight?