beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: beer.

Post by bobbyhawks » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:46 pm

WSPanic wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:31 pm
There was a wine store in the River Market that had beer in the basement and you could do mix/match six packs.

I think you can do that at World Market.

I'm guessing liquor stores don't want to micromanage their inventory like that if they can avoid it. I'm sure it would be popular, but not sure it would be worth the extra hassle. You'd think automation and technology would have solved this by now, but it's not like independent liquor stores have complicated POS systems with inventory management (like a World Market would).
Cellar and Loft. They had such a nice community-oriented model going, selling super cheap pizzas and small bites to bring people in, and a very heavy focus on driving people to the wine clubs (their standard prices were not great without club discount). The mix and match beer was a cool touch. I believe they had some medical issues with one of the owners and had to immediately close down the downtown location (still open in Kearney). On the plus side of that closure, my wife and I found out about the great wine club at Cellar Rat.

I'd think a nice liquor store or set of stores (beer/wine/spirits) in the RM would do really well as a counter to the random basics places around, esp. if placed near the new Local Pig. I'd heard a rumor a long time ago that the owner of Mike's was trying to get something going downtown, but with the move to asking for local liquor delivery, maybe that is what he had in mind.

smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by smh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:02 pm

Shout out to Underdog in Union Hill, offering a nice curated beer selection in addition to a compelling liquor lineup and excellent wines.

Eon Blue
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Eon Blue » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:22 am

Cosentino's has a small bottle cooler where you can make your own six-pack. Its stock is rotated enough that I can get a six-pack of new beers, or ones that I haven't had in a while once a month or so.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by scooterj » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:01 pm

I was looking up a liquor license and noticed a new application for Alma Mader Brewing & Taproom at 2635 Southwest Boulevard. It's in consent phase right now and it looks like several of the residents in the area are angry about it, citing the smell of mash and the increased traffic & bad driving on residential streets from visitors to Boulevard and the Roasterie. (Though, in this case, there would be no reason for additional traffic on residential streets since this is a warehouse building fronting the boulevard itself.)