beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
brad_in_omaha
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: beer.

Post by brad_in_omaha »

Went to Stockyards Brewing on Sunday. Really cool place and the beers were good too. I liked how they kept it almost original from the old steakhouse.

So far I have been to 4 KC Breweries in the past few years on my visits to KC. Cinder Block, Big Rip, Boulevard, and now Stockyards. Haven't had a bad beer yet.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Went to Stockyards Brewing on Sunday. Really cool place and the beers were good too. I liked how they kept it almost original from the old steakhouse.

So far I have been to 4 KC Breweries in the past few years on my visits to KC. Cinder Block, Big Rip, Boulevard, and now Stockyards. Haven't had a bad beer yet.
Stockyards is fantastic, love what they did with the old Golden Ox space. Glad you enjoyed it.

Check out Crane Brewing Co (raytown) on your next trip - a little off the beaten path but they're making my favorite beers out of KC at the moment. Though you have to come liking sours!
brad_in_omaha
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brad_in_omaha »

rxlexi wrote:Stockyards is fantastic, love what they did with the old Golden Ox space. Glad you enjoyed it.

Check out Crane Brewing Co (raytown) on your next trip - a little off the beaten path but they're making my favorite beers out of KC at the moment. Though you have to come liking sours!
I was leaning towards Crane, my brother in law from DC was with me and he really likes Saison/Farmhouse beers and Crane does those well. However we only had a few house and there was a Royals game that day so we stayed away. Not sure how bad the traffic would be or how crowded the brewery would be. Its absolutely on my list of breweries to visit.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

While mentioned previously in the Crossroads thread, City Barrel announced their existence publicly today - focusing on hops and sours.

When they open, they'll be the *fifth* (edit, forgot about Brewery Emperial - *sixth*) brewery within a 4ish-block radius of 18th & Locust.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

swid wrote: When they open, they'll be the *fifth* (edit, forgot about Brewery Emperial - *sixth*) brewery within a 4ish-block radius of 18th & Locust.
Funny... I personally keep forgetting to re-visit Brewery Emperial (I haven't been there since opening week) even though I usually end up parking next to it when I go to iTap.

Side note, right now I'd have to say the new Casual Animal is my favorite of the Crossroads breweries.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

BE was near empty when we had lunch there last week. Worried that their lunches go the way of Riegers.

otoh, nice jazz music you could hear along with a tasty nitro stout.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Of note, the delicious Boulevard Mexican-Style Lager that was in the tasting room for a while will be released for real and will be called "¡Vamos!" It is really surprisingly enjoyable for a simple beer. I can't wait for this one, and they are tying it to the Royals, which is a nice touch as it will be delicious at a game.

https://www.boulevard.com/2018/02/23/va ... yle-lager/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I try not to rant, at least not publicly. But Jeez, Abnos fucks up every single building he touches. I can't understand why anyone would rent from him and I'm incredulous as to how he can make a profit.
I had a nice negroni at Lifted Spirits on Sunday and sat at the window looking at the atrocity he has ruined across the street. If bad taste were a crime, he and his architect would be incarcerated for life without parole.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Went to the City Barrel pop-up last night. I'm not much into sour beers, but the Peachy AF was pretty good. That space is, um, still a work in progress.

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looks like Tallgrass could be out of business in a few weeks. Honestly I kind of hate Tallgrass, then it seemed like they switched focus to those jam/fruit flavors
https://www.mhk.business/trending/tallg ... cesclosing

The days of a mid tier 20 state footprint brewery could be over unless they are owned by a big company, the industry seems to be shifting towards local taproom type places
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

How many new tap rooms/small breweries have opened the past five years between KC North and Waldo - 15 or 20? It has been pretty amazing.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Just off the top of my head: 5 breweries + 1 distillery in NKC, 5 breweries ( & 1 more opening soon) + 2 distilleries + 1 winery in Crossroads, 1 in Brookside, 1(?) in Waldo. Also 1 in OP, 1 re-opening in Olathe, 1 each in Raytown, Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, and Liberty; and 2 in Excelsior Springs. And at least 3-4 more I can think of in the works that I can't remember the locations of.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Strange Days in RM.

I think City Barrel will make 6 for X Roads (Border, Double Shift, Cas Animal, Emperial, Torn Label). 7 if you count Boulevard.

There are two in Brookside - BKS and Flying Horse.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Forgot all about the one in River Market! And I haven't even heard of Flying Horse. It's crazy how fast they are coming yet how far behind we still are from other cities of our size.

I didn't count Boulevard for Crossroads, since that's West Side no matter whether you are Team I-35 or Team Broadway. :)
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

With all the different selections of beers coming around you would think a few bottle shops would start to open up or liquor stores would focus on single beer more than just 6 packs of craft beer. Nobody is going to want a 15 dollar 6 pack of Double IPA if they have never tried it before. The Bottle Shop that opened in Westport was ahead of its time.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

There was a wine store in the River Market that had beer in the basement and you could do mix/match six packs.

I think you can do that at World Market.

I'm guessing liquor stores don't want to micromanage their inventory like that if they can avoid it. I'm sure it would be popular, but not sure it would be worth the extra hassle. You'd think automation and technology would have solved this by now, but it's not like independent liquor stores have complicated POS systems with inventory management (like a World Market would).
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

scooterj wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:17 pm Just off the top of my head: 5 breweries + 1 distillery in NKC, 5 breweries ( & 1 more opening soon) + 2 distilleries + 1 winery in Crossroads, 1 in Brookside, 1(?) in Waldo. Also 1 in OP, 1 re-opening in Olathe, 1 each in Raytown, Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, and Liberty; and 2 in Excelsior Springs. And at least 3-4 more I can think of in the works that I can't remember the locations of.
Two for sure in downtown Shawnee, with possibly a brew pub in the OK Garage space.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:51 am Looks like Tallgrass could be out of business in a few weeks. Honestly I kind of hate Tallgrass, then it seemed like they switched focus to those jam/fruit flavors
https://www.mhk.business/trending/tallg ... cesclosing

The days of a mid tier 20 state footprint brewery could be over unless they are owned by a big company, the industry seems to be shifting towards local taproom type places
ever since they killed off halcyon i have been very confused with what the hell they have been doing.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:24 pm With all the different selections of beers coming around you would think a few bottle shops would start to open up or liquor stores would focus on single beer more than just 6 packs of craft beer. Nobody is going to want a 15 dollar 6 pack of Double IPA if they have never tried it before. The Bottle Shop that opened in Westport was ahead of its time.
Most of the time Gomer's will let you just pull a single out of a six-pack and they'll sell it to you that way. (I'd ask first before doing it with a can, though.)