beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: beer.

Post by mean »

I've ordered pitchers of various decent beers many times. Usually there is pizza involved.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

People are ordering a lot less beer then they did back 10 plus years ago
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

While looking on the Internet for instructions on how to remove an item from a hot water bath in the oven without scalding myself, I came across a recipe for Guinness Cheesecake. (http://www.schnuckscooks.com/play_video ... Agp9uPvx_I) I tried it, and it came out great. It calls for 3/4 cup of Guinness, but my son happily disposed of the bottle's remaining beer and the other five bottles.  :)

Incidentally, Zenyatta of racehorse fame (now in foal) loves Guinness. She won't touch any other brand. It certainly makes a good cheesecake!
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

honest question - does anyone know the origination of so-called "pony" beers?  Those smaller, usually 7 ounce bottles of generally light American lager? 

I picked up an 8pk of 7 ounce Miller High Life bottles at the Apple Market on Troost based mostly on novelty, but thought the stubby, round bottles were unusually satisfying to drink on hot day (stay cool, fun). 

But why do they exist, really?  Portion control?  I've since seen a number of other brands available in such form as well - Bud, Bud Lite, Coors Light, etc.
are we spinning free?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Funny!  Back in the 80's they had mini Lowenbrau out on the west coast.  Nice, because you could carry 3 or 4 in your back pocket!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

smh wrote: Have pitchers of beer gone out of style?
Bars don't like to sell beer in pitchers because they usually take a hit on the quantity. More than ever, too, bars are roping you into paying more for a smaller glass(snifter, chalice, etc). If they can charge more for less, it's a win for them.

So a bar that will still sell me a pitcher is a gem.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

re: pitchers.  I'm pretty sure you can still get a cheap pitcher with your pizza at Minsky's (51st), at least that was the case when I was last there.

there was a great pool hall in Columbia where we'd down cheap pitchers of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in college...still have fond memories of the place.
are we spinning free?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Pizza places and bowling alleys still bring it strong with the pitchers.

McCoys/Foundry does $7 pitchers of McCoys beer on Sun/Mon nights.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WSPanic wrote: McCoys/Foundry does $7 pitchers of McCoys beer on Sun/Mon nights.
I was unaware. Thanks for the heads-up.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

WSPanic wrote: McCoys/Foundry does $7 pitchers of McCoys beer on Sun/Mon nights.
Man! They used to be $5!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Hops have gotten expensive, and barley isn't nearly as profitable (read: subsidized) as corn...  :(
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Seems like BLVD has dropped Dry Stout, which I really enjoyed at certain times of the year. It was one of the few beers I liked bottled instead of on tap.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

That's terrible news! I loved their stout.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

bahua wrote:That's terrible news! I loved their stout.
I'd like confirmation, actually. It's gone from my local stores 6 pack section and the guy behind the counter said it was still available in kegs. Anyone else know anything? I was kind of pissed when they took it out of their variety 12 pack, guess it was a harbinger.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

And yet Lunar remains on the shelves?!

I really enjoy Blvd Stout. I'll be sad to see it go from bottles if true.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It was introduced in bottles only a couple of years ago. Prior to that it was draught-only. I rather liked that kind of commitment to traditionalism. Maybe they're reverting.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the boulevard website says the dry stout is draught-only. that sucks! we're about to get into stout season (for me). i like it far more than bobs, lunar, or even nutcracker. i hope bully porter remains available in bottles.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

chrizow wrote:the boulevard website says the dry stout is draught-only. that sucks! we're about to get into stout season (for me). i like it far more than bobs, lunar, or even nutcracker. i hope bully porter remains available in bottles.
Bummer, I really liked it with that extra bit of carbonation.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

bahua wrote:That's terrible news! I loved their stout.
Me, too. I noticed it was missing recently when I stopped to get drinks for the SKC tailgate. :x
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

chrizow wrote:the boulevard website says the dry stout is draught-only. that sucks! we're about to get into stout season (for me). i like it far more than bobs, lunar, or even nutcracker. i hope bully porter remains available in bottles.
Bully! Porter is my beer of choice nine times out of ten, regardless of season. If they take that away, I'll have a hard choice to make.