beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
cknab1
Ambassador

Re: beer.

Post by cknab1 »

I had a charity event at the M&S Grill on the plaza Wednesday night.  Boulevard was nice enough to donate 8 bottles of their smokestack series for our drinking pleasure and one bottle of their new Harvest Brew for my silent auction.  I think the description on the label was ?Wheat Wine Ale?  I?m a word short there but you get my drift.  I bid $20 but another person bid $25 so he got it.  It is supposed to be out in 3 or 4 weeks.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

My info is about a month or two old...but last time I talked to them....

One is still planning on lawschool before they begin their beer making endeavor.  The other is planning on brewing school.  As you can imagine funds are tight and they're waiting for the right time.  They are just trying to get their ducks in a row but things are definitely going slow.
  thanks pumpkinstalker!  hmm, I would have thought one would complete plans such as law school before announcing the intent to do something on the scale of starting a brewery, complete with blog, etc.  At any rate I eagerly await any movement on this, and wish them the best!  KC needs more ventures like this one, I really hope it doesn't die.

And btw, Nutcracker is amazing as always, my favorite Blvd beer.  Such a fantastic winter warmer.  It seemed like Bob's sold out rather quickly this year, too...perhaps that's why Nutcracker was released a bit early?
are we spinning free?
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

Friend of mine has been telling me how good BLVD Nutcracker is going to be this year. I can't wait to try it this season.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

rxlexi wrote: And btw, Nutcracker is amazing as always, my favorite Blvd beer.  Such a fantastic winter warmer.  It seemed like Bob's sold out rather quickly this year, too...perhaps that's why Nutcracker was released a bit early?
yeah?  i thought there was a LOT more bob's to go around this year over previous years.  doesn't mean it's enough, though.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

Anyone tried the Harvest Dance yet?  It's apparently around.  Westport Sun Fresh doesn't have it yet, but they do still have a bunch of Saison-Brett.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

so blvd pilsner just trickled into this old backwater on the east side of your state. been chugging the stuff so much every-night it makes me want to (inappropriate comment deleted).
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

warwickland you crack me up.  I too have finally come to love blvd pilsner for what it is...it's a great, everyday beer to knock back after a long day in large quantities.  And Cosentino's Downtown makes that even easier by having it on sale right now for $4.69/sixer! 

My fridge is currently stocked with 12 Blvd pilsners, a siv of Nutcracker, Widmer Brother's Reserve Doppelbock, Goose Island Sophie Belgian, and a Somkestack Series Seeyoulater, which I have yet to try, and a 12 of Bud Select (for the lady, of course!).  I'm hoping to make a small dent tonight, b/w the beautiful weather, nearby Plaza lights, holiday cheer and my Southmoreland front porch.
are we spinning free?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The Seeyoulator is pretty damn good.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

mean wrote: The Seeyoulator is pretty damn good.
Yeah, that is a close second to the 6th Glass for my fave regular smokestack.

For the non-regular smokestacks, the bourbon barrel quad is allegedly out today.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

speaking of non-regular, had a harvest wheat wine?? (need to check the bottle for exact terminology)  very good, "wine" is an accurate title, a very smoky beer.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

I have one that's been sitting in the fridge a while and haven't gotten around to it yet.

I can confirm that the BBQ is in the wild... picked up a couple bottles on the way home from work tonight.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

had the goose island bourbon stout at flying saucer tonight. that shit is strong!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: had the goose island bourbon stout at flying saucer tonight. that shit is strong!
Shouldn't be drinking that stuff Dave, the CO2 bubbling off the brew is dangerous. 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126003232518778287.html
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

the BBQ is AMAZING.  It's also probably too late to find any more out there...  :(
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Having my first taste of the bbq tonite, they've got half a case left at the store! :shock:
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

midtown wrote: the BBQ is AMAZING.  It's also probably too late to find any more out there...  :(
It gets good reviews around the US....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/43670
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I just received a late Christmas present - on a routine McGonigle's stop yesterday, I noticed Tank 7 in the Smokestack/large format bottles.  I promptly purchased 5 of them.  This is probably my favorite beer ever. 

Maybe this is old news, but does anyone know if they are going to do this long term, or is limited/seasonal?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i believe it is long term, as it is taking the place of the Smokestack Saison. Good news for beer fans everywhere!
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Great news on the Tank 7.  I am sad to see Saison go though, that is another of my favorites.  :(
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I received a text message last night that said the Boulevard Irish is already out. I haven't tried or seen it yet.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.