Noodle places

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Noodle places

Post by KCMax »

First off, the Blue Koi is awesome.

Second off, Lulu's sucks, at least the one time I was there. Neither I, nor my date enjoyed our noodles.

What other good Asian noodle places are there in KC? Has anyone been to Max's Noodle Place?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Noodle places

Post by staubio »

KCMax wrote: First off, the Blue Koi is awesome.

Second off, Lulu's sucks, at least the one time I was there. Neither I, nor my date enjoyed our noodles.

What other good Asian noodle places are there in KC? Has anyone been to Max's Noodle Place?
Max's WAS pretty darn good before it was displaced to make way for parking.  I'm not sure if he plans to reopen or not.

I had the same feeling about LuLu's until I tried a few things.  Some stuff is awesome, some stuff sucks.  It is a bipolar kind of place.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

staubio wrote: I had the same feeling about LuLu's until I tried a few things.  Some stuff is awesome, some stuff sucks.  It is a bipolar kind of place.
100% agree.  Its not just that some dishes are good and some are bad - Its like their cooks are using entirely different recipies on different nights of the week- I  have seen some of their dishes come out of the kitchen looking and tasting entirely disgusting one week and the next week you see someone in your group order the same thing and it turns out to be fabulous.  Ordering phad thai there is like playing craps.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I wonder when Noodles and Company will hit the urban core. They're in hell right now (151st St. in Olathe) but they were talking about a Lawrence location when their first store here opened. They'd be a nice chain restaurant that could sprinkle the urban core with locations.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I love lulu's.  Arun is a good place.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I thought we hated chains?????????????
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

nota wrote: I thought we hated chains?????????????
I prefer non-chains. I like Chipotle and that's about it. I'll shop for groceries at HyVee. I don't have a problem with a chain if they're producing a somewhat quality product (especially to the urban core...e.g. Panera to Crown Center).
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

trailerkid wrote: I prefer non-chains. I like Chipotle and that's about it. I'll shop for groceries at HyVee. I don't have a problem with a chain if they're producing a somewhat quality product (especially to the urban core...e.g. Panera to Crown Center).
I'm just funnin' with you anyway. I like Chipotle too. But I also like BWW and I get roundly bashed for that.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I am really surprised to hear anyone say anything bad about LuLu's. I've been there, jeez, dozens upon dozens of times for lunch, usually with at least 3-4 other people, and have NEVER had a bad experience, nor had anyone in my party have a bad experience. I haven't gone for dinner much, maybe two or three times, but I found it to be equally good then. The comments here are the first negative thing I've ever heard anyone say about the place. I am kind of in shock, as I've found it to be one of the more consistent dining experiences in town!

Hien Vuong is also excellent, if you're into Vietnamese. Tasty noodles. Lots of fresh herbs.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Angyl
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Angyl »

Hien Voung is horrid. They use the wrong broth for the wrong soups, and all vietnamese restaurants have fresh herbs. It's part of the cuisine. That's like saying a BBQ joint has lots of bbq sauce.

Vietnam Cafe and Pho 39 are the best in the city, and I would consider myself somewhat knowlegable being Vietnamese.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Angyl wrote: Hien Voung is horrid. They use the wrong broth for the wrong soups, and all vietnamese restaurants have fresh herbs. It's part of the cuisine. That's like saying a BBQ joint has lots of bbq sauce.

Vietnam Cafe and Pho 39 are the best in the city, and I would consider myself somewhat knowlegable being Vietnamese.
I haven't tried either.  Where are they?
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

Angyl wrote: Hien Voung is horrid. They use the wrong broth for the wrong soups, and all vietnamese restaurants have fresh herbs. It's part of the cuisine. That's like saying a BBQ joint has lots of bbq sauce.

My wife really likes the fried quail at Pho 97 on Independence Ave.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nota wrote: I thought we hated chains?????????????
Overall I do put chains lower than original places but there are exceptions.  If they make a good product, I don't care how many of them they are.  I usually am just against the fake atmosphere.

nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCPowercat wrote: Overall I do put chains lower than original places but there are exceptions.  If they make a good product, I don't care how many of them they are.  I usually am just against the fake atmosphere.
Actually, I was just being sarcastic. Fake atmosphere can be anywhere, chains don't hold a monopoly.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

really. fake atmosphere can be found in non chains too. that mexican place on broadway, near bartle, used to be the best. when i went this march, i was in shock how shitty it was with new owners, and plenty of salsa music playing, servers in psuedo latino dress, and morocca's all over the walls. sad. fucken chi chi's had better atmosphere.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

staubio wrote: I haven't tried either.  Where are they?
I think Vietnam Cafe is the place on the NW corner of the 39th & Rainbow intersection. Dunno about the other one.
Angyl
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Angyl »

Vietnam Cafe
522 Campbell St
Kansas City, MO 64106-1212 
(816) 472-4888
(near independence ave)

Saigon 39 (sorry I was mixing it up with Pho 93 or whatever)
1806 1/2 W 39th St, Kansas City, MO 64111-4402 · 816-531-4447

really the best vietnamese restuarant have the following in common
-in a weird area
-has the word Vietnam, Pho or Saigon in the name
-is playing bad karaoke playing
-is full of asian people.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Vietnam Cafe used to be kinda dirty and crappy (but still good food), but supposedly they're under new ownership and its much cleaner now.

I've heard great things about Saigon 39. Off topic, but has anyone tried that sushi place next to it?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

true nota.

m.toast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by m.toast »

Vietnam Cafe used to be kinda dirty and crappy (but still good food), but supposedly they're under new ownership and its much cleaner now.

I've heard great things about Saigon 39. Off topic, but has anyone tried that sushi place next to it?
Yes. Vietnam Cafe is much better now. Quite a vast improvement. They do a very good bubble tea, too. Not too sweet. It's on my Vietnamese favorites list, along with Pho 97 on Indy. Jeez. I like Hien Vuong too.

Friends' Sushi and Bento is OK. I was there once and the sushi was good. (And I'm a pretty picky sashimi eater.) Didn't try the bentos though. They were about to get their likka license when I was there in July...
Waldo representin'