Noodle places

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Noodle places

Post by shinatoo »

loftguy wrote: Hey, cheers to you for being adventurous.  Keep exploring.  Does sound like pho.
Not very adventurous for me, just something that I have never tried.

I ate a fish head and plantain cooked in raw goats milk inside a grass hut on a San Blas island off the coast of Panama during the Noriega extraction. That was an adventure.

Stay thirsty my friend. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I'm not sure Lulu's sign is really in character with its environment. I like the arrow part, but the large rectangular part is pretty characteristic of suburban fast food joints. I'd have to see it in person, but it seems a little oversized for its environs.

BTW, does KC not have zoning or code about the size of signs like this downtown or the in the Xroads?
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

you're kidding, right?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

it looks fine in person.  the building, and the sign, are both dwarfed by the building across the street to the east.  the "tucked away" nature of the location likely warrants a bit of a larger sign.  it looks totally fine.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote:
BTW, does KC not have zoning or code about the size of signs like this downtown or the in the Xroads?
I hope not.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: I hope not.
Why? Most cities have regulations on what types of signs you can put up. Considering how suburban our downtown is it's probably a good idea to prevent more visual pollution for motorists.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote: Why? Most cities have regulations on what types of signs you can put up. Considering how suburban our downtown is it's probably a good idea to prevent more visual pollution for motorists.
We have enough rules and regulations that discourage business in our urban core.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: We have enough rules and regulations that discourage business in our urban core.
Telling someone they can't put up a massive, flagpole Denny's sign next to the Power & Light Building is not discouraging business. Johnson County exists for a reason.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

trailerkid wrote: Why? Most cities have regulations on what types of signs you can put up. Considering how suburban our downtown is it's probably a good idea to prevent more visual pollution for motorists.
yes it is anti business. How do you expect folks to find places?
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

I could be wrong here, but I've always been under the impression that it's incredibly difficult to get city permission to put up a huge sign like this.  But, that may only be for signs that extend over sidewalks or other city property. 

For example, the massive "Derma-Doctor" sign at 19th and McGee I heard was only allowed because the owner was able to show that there was a sign there at one point in history. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

bbqboy wrote: yes it is anti business. How do you expect folks to find places?
 :lol:

Getting out of the car for 2 1/2 seconds of his/her life. Or maybe a map. Or maybe a phone.

Imagine if every business downtown had a large, standalone, flagpole sign. Why don't we put up a huge flagpole sign up for the Kauffman Center? It could be as tall as the KCTV tower so everyone can find it.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KC Sporting Life wrote: I could be wrong here, but I've always been under the impression that it's incredibly difficult to get city permission to put up a huge sign like this.  But, that may only be for signs that extend over sidewalks or other city property. 

For example, the massive "Derma-Doctor" sign at 19th and McGee I heard was only allowed because the owner was able to show that there was a sign there at one point in history. 
btw, I'd LOVE to see a vertical, blade sign for the Rieger similar to what the Garment District has.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

trailerkid wrote: btw, I'd LOVE to see a vertical, blade sign for the Rieger similar to what the Garment District has.

Yeah, so would I.  At night, I love looking North up Main St.  You can see all those massive, lit up, blade signs all the way up to the Cosentino's Market.  They  include The Hotel Monroe, Michael's Clothiers, the Daddy's Sign, AMC Mainstreet, etc...

It really looks great.  I'd love to have that style of sign for The Rieger, and we've looked into it, but it's sure to be an uphill battle with the landlord, and possibly the city.  The painted sign on the south wall is a good start for us, though!
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

trailerkid wrote:  :lol:

Getting out of the car for 2 1/2 seconds of his/her life. Or maybe a map. Or maybe a phone.

Imagine if every business downtown had a large, standalone, flagpole sign. Why don't we put up a huge flagpole sign up for the Kauffman Center? It could be as tall as the KCTV tower so everyone can find it.
that's one of your best ideas.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote: Telling someone they can't put up a massive, flagpole Denny's sign next to the Power & Light Building is not discouraging business. Johnson County exists for a reason.
Then incentivize the kind of signs you'd like to see. The attitude that "we don't like something, let's ban it" has really killed urban areas that really need to show a comparative advantage in doing business over suburbs because of the inherent advantage suburbs have in cost. Its this rigid "my way or the highway" attitude that has led us to stupid parking regulations, alcohol regulations and the antiquated restaurant codes that you can read are a major hassle in a number of posts from people that have opened restaurants in KC.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: Then incentivize the kind of signs you'd like to see. The attitude that "we don't like something, let's ban it" has really killed urban areas that really need to show a comparative advantage in doing business over suburbs because of the inherent advantage suburbs have in cost. Its this rigid "my way or the highway" attitude that has led us to stupid parking regulations, alcohol regulations and the antiquated restaurant codes that you can read are a major hassle in a number of posts from people that have opened restaurants in KC.
You need specifications in place from planning experts on what kind of design creates a more vibrant city. Advocating for letting everyone do whatever they want is such an incredibly irresponsible plan for a city that's already so dangerously suburbanized. Signs that look like they were plucked off of a KFC @ 75/Metcalf do not fit downtown for very obvious reasons. They are 100% aimed at motorists, distract from pedestrian-level streetscape, and create the visual chaos of the suburban commercial strip in the heart of the city. There is definitely some wiggle room, but saying we don't need guidelines in a city that already looks like KC is just plain foolish.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote: You need specifications in place from planning experts on what kind of design creates a more vibrant city. Advocating for letting everyone do whatever they want is such an incredibly irresponsible plan for a city that's already so dangerously suburbanized. Signs that look like they were plucked off of a KFC @ 75/Metcalf do not fit downtown for very obvious reasons. They are 100% aimed at motorists, distract from pedestrian-level streetscape, and create the visual chaos of the suburban commercial strip in the heart of the city. There is definitely some wiggle room, but saying we don't need guidelines in a city that already looks like KC is just plain foolish.
I think we agree there needs to be guidelines. You want them to be regulations, I want them to be incentives.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: I think we agree there needs to be guidelines. You want them to be regulations, I want them to be incentives.
Do other successful cities with strong urban fabric use incentives or regulations? Just curious...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote: Do other successful cities with strong urban fabric use incentives or regulations? Just curious...
Do we currently have a strong urban fabric? Don't confuse the causation there.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: Do we currently have a strong urban fabric? Don't confuse the causation there.
You're right. Mandating policy for the greater good of the community never works.

Incentivizing non-smoking businesses would've been a much more pragmatic way of dealing with that issue than banning it outright.