Sidewalk Cafes

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sidewalk Cafes

Post by KCPowercat »

Why does KC lack in the # of sidewalk eateries? I mean even when I went up to Omaha it seemed they had more outside dining options.

St. Louis also has quite a few.....our weather is no better/worse than those 2 cities....we should have a lot more outside patios like Baja 600 or even O'Dowds with their outside deck on the 2nd level.

Why isn't there any more of these places? We have beautiful weather March - October and there is a serious lack of places to eat/drink outside.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sidewalk Cafes

Post by dangerboy »

Gee I always thought we had a lot of outdoor choices. I guess they aren't all lined up next to each other on one sidwalk, but many places have patios or sidewalk tables.

On the Plaza in addition to the ones you named...
Fred P. Otts
Figlio
Classic Cup
McCormick and Schmidt
LatteLand
Joe D's in Brookside

Downtown...
Mike's Deck
YJ's
La Bodega
Smokin' Joe's BBQ
Winslow's BBQ
Cup and Saucer
Garrett's Market

In Midtown...
Harry's Bar and Tables
Harpo's
Thai Place
McCoy's
Jazz on W. 39th St.
Gates
Velvet Dog
Crave Cafe
Broadway Cafe
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sidewalk Cafes

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah maybe it's just they aren't lined up. Many have a patio now that I think about it but what I want is more restaurants like Classic Cup is setup I guess.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Sidewalk Cafes

Post by ignatius »

I've never cared for the 'lined up' sidewalk cafe concept. It feels a little tourist trappey - like Gaslamp district in San Diego. Greenwich Village and especially the Italian section of GV also feel more tourist trappey and manufactured ever since the rows of sidewalk cafes showed up. Took away from GV as a neighborhood feel me thinks. Just me.
Last edited by ignatius on Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Sidewalk Cafes

Post by trailerkid »

It seems like in Lawrence, almost half of the restaurants or cafes on Mass. St. have outdoor seating. I don't really think anything of it. With our climate...it's really not even that practical.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sidewalk Cafes

Post by dangerboy »

KC wrote:yeah maybe it's just they aren't lined up. Many have a patio now that I think about it but what I want is more restaurants like Classic Cup is setup I guess.
Yeah I guess a lot of places have patios in back or up top instead of on the sidewalk. It would be nice if more of them were visible from the street though.

Also, most chains like Starbucks, Panera, etc. seem to have outdoor seating, for those that like eating in the middle of a giant parking lot or up against an expressway.