Grinders

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Grinders

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I've been thinking about my new facebook page to get the Waldo Walmart proposal and the Grinders to switch locations. A win for everyone.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

PumpkinStalker wrote:I've been thinking about my new facebook page to get the Waldo Walmart proposal and the Grinders to switch locations. A win for everyone.
=D>

Waldo-Mart... worst idea ever?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Well, at one point they were talking about demolishing Union Station, so there is a ways to go for worst ever. But no doubt about it, pretty bad.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Ha, of course they don't don't want a Grinders- for what its worth, 'Grinders' is a distinctive identity, an Other- Lenexa or Leawood or wherever and the 'burbs are fear-based communities. No outsiders. That's the essence of NIMBY.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Everything will be just fine out there. They're thinking worst case.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philmo/set ... 6885/show/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

With all that space, I can't imagine them not having music....eventually. I suppose they will need to be good citizens for a while.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

What do they listen to out there? I'd guess, both kinds of music.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

taxi wrote:What do they listen to out there? I'd guess, both kinds of music.
Yep, 80's and crunk.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The council delayed a final vote on whether to approve the Grinders project at the former Kieltyka’s Stonewall Inn complex at 10240 Pflumm Road.

Instead, the council returned the proposal to the city planning commission to address residents’ concerns about parking, noise and hours of operation. The commission will take up the matter on March 4.
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/12/40 ... adway.html
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Saw a report on the commission meeting on the news last night. I'll never understand why someone wanting to ease residents' concerns on the new place would show up in jeans and a t-shirt, sit slumped in a chair like a high schooler and look like they just woke up and couldn't find a way to fix their hair. I get the vibe of 'But I'm an artist' but c'mon, doesn't it make sense that you would want to at least appear to relate to the surrounding residents, if only by upgrading your appearance for a few hours?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

File under: predictable = preventable.

While I am by no means a "regular" I have always liked Grinders (more on some visits than others) and, like most people who remember the pre-Grinders era east crossroads, I have a modicum of respect for Stretch. Never quite got the no-one-goes-there-anymore-it's-too-crowded backlash.

That said, this Lenexa location struck me as folly from the get-go, but I am sure there are lots of people who said the same thing about opening a bar/grill on east 18th back when it opened, so whatever. Good luck to him on the new roadhouse, and a pox on his frivolous lawsuit.

Either way, aging suburban nimbys who live underneath 2 freeways bitching about the potential traffic and noise of an "outpost" downtown hipster bar, is -- while nauseating and unintentionally ironic -- totally, 100% predictable. Inevitable even.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NIMBY wins.

Lenexa wins rezoning battle against proposed Grinders

How much you want to guess many of these residents are "small government conservatives" who praise the power of the free market and small businesses!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:NIMBY wins.

Lenexa wins rezoning battle against proposed Grinders

How much you want to guess many of these residents are "small government conservatives" who praise the power of the free market and small businesses!
Job killers!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Nothing worse than someone trying to impede a communities' progress. Next, they'll probably bring some ridiculous lawsuit!
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

beautyfromashes wrote:Nothing worse than someone trying to impede a communities' progress. Next, they'll probably bring some ridiculous lawsuit!
My thoughts, exactly.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

beautyfromashes wrote:Nothing worse than someone trying to impede a communities' progress. Next, they'll probably bring some ridiculous lawsuit!

Shades of perception. It's a bitch.

Sometimes you simply can't make people listen to reason.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Grinders opens next week in Lenexa, with more regional locations planned
The first phase — the restaurant and bar — is scheduled to open Tuesday at 10240 Pflumm Road. But expect some soft openings for invited guests, including area residents, before that.

Jeff Rumaner, the sculptor known as Stretch, also owns side-by-side restaurants, Grinders and Grinders West, in the East Crossroads. He is opening the Lenexa location with a partner and also is looking to expand in cities within a few hours’ drive of Kansas City — perhaps Des Moines, Lincoln, Omaha, Springfield or Tulsa.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Has anyone heard anything about the CrossroadsKC venue possibly shutting down due to low attendance and/or lack of good shows?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

That is an odd question. I've been going there regularly since they opened and it gets bigger each year. Now, I'm kind of old compared to some of you whipper snappers, but I think this year's line up looks like one of their best. I like Elvis, Buddy Guy, Primus, and John Butler; but, I don't even know who most of the other bands are. I gotta admit, though, Lez Zeppelin looks pretty, uh, exciting.

But just to make sure, I spoke to el extendo and he told me that their sales have increased steadily and they are doing better each year. Where did you get your info, Miss Hawks?