Grinders

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Grinders

Post by dangerboy »

Grinders is a dive bar.  Set your expectations accordingly.  If that isn't your taste then may I suggest you try a Plaza bar or perhaps the TGIFridays at a-hundred-whatever and BFE?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

interesting.  this makes me wonder what a dive bar really is?

i don't consider Grinders a dive bar at all.  it has gourmet beer and all kinds of relatively eclectic/groumet food (e.g. you don't see tandoori chicken pizzas at dive bars.)

i also think that the disheveled decor is far too carefully arranged to be divey.

daily double lounge?  dive.  fitz's?  dive.  caddyshack?  dive. 

grinders might be dirty like a dive, but i think people's expectations of Grinders are understandably much higher.  i don't think it's unacceptably dirty, but the service is an issue.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

dangerboy wrote: Grinders is a dive bar.  Set your expectations accordingly.   If that isn't your taste then may I suggest you try a Plaza bar or perhaps the TGIFridays at a-hundred-whatever and BFE?
There's no place in the Crossroads for clean restaurants?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

chrizow wrote: interesting.  this makes me wonder what a dive bar really is?

i don't consider Grinders a dive bar at all.  it has gourmet beer and all kinds of relatively eclectic/groumet food (e.g. you don't see tandoori chicken pizzas at dive bars.)

i also think that the disheveled decor is far too carefully arranged to be divey.

daily double lounge?  dive.  fitz's?  dive.  caddyshack?  dive. 

grinders might be dirty like a dive, but i think people's expectations of Grinders are understandably much higher.  i don't think it's unacceptably dirty, but the service is an issue.
Service is an issue --- but man the cheesesteaks are good
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

OK maybe dive bar isn't quite accurate.  My point is that some folks seem to have unrealistic expectations of Grinders, and then get huffy when it fails to meet those expectations.

KCMax, yes there is a place for "clean" restaurants in the Crossroads.  e.g. Zin, JP, etc.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Grinders has some good food, but for me, the first and foremost attraction there is the beer. It is unequivocally Kansas City's best beer bar. I don't consider it a restaurant at all, and wouldn't care at all if they stopped food service tomorrow. They serve food, and a lot of it is very good, but I don't go to Grinders for pizza. It's a gritty bar. Dealing with members of the service industry is never a pleasurable experience for me anyway, so whether it takes a long time or not, I still would prefer 100% of the time to go and get a beer myself from the bartender.

It feels weird to me to be brought drinks in a bar.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Moniker wrote: My first horror story stems from my first visit. The cook used a wet rag that was sitting in a bucket of murky water to wipe down the preparation area. He also wiped his hands on the apron after handling raw food, then went to tossing dough for a pizza.

My second visit, a second cook did the same thing. He was handling raw food, pulled the cooked pizza out of the oven and brought our food to us without washing his hands. That isn't even to mention that the pizza was brushing up against his floured and freshly (glistening) stained apron.

My third visit, I had a few beers and that was it.

Now see - this is exactly why I have never liked restaurants that have kitchens that open up to the dining room.  On a subconscious level I am aware that this kind of crap goes on all over town, but the last thing in the world I want to do is sit there with a front row seat and watch it as I wait for my food.  I have never noticed anything all that troubling at Grinders but than again, I have always elected to sit at a table - where I can't see the sausage being made. 
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Ahh people, thanks for all the imput, I just got handed this link and have signed up..Yes, Its is me STRETCH 1 of the owners of Grinders, and also a individual of much discussion in these pages.. I hear and agree with almost all points about Grinders.. Im sorry for the way some have been treated or waiting to be mistreated there is no excuse. I will not tollerate it any longer, It has bothered me for quite awhile, We hire people that say there going to do somthing then go the other way, We hire because they are supossedly a pro, and want them to try and do there thing, We ARE LOOKING FOR TOP HELP..Please advise.. please come back and discuss with me or Anton( the other good looking fella) and a BEER on us..For those not bitching and supporting Thanks..sorry no Beer for you.. Ok one.. see me...
P&L Free since 2008
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

thanks for the post.  i love grinders to death and will always go back...i just hope the more sensitive folks can look past the occasionally-surly and inattentive service and return!
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Also, to whom may care these posts are being printed and posted in Grinders for the staff to see and read or just look at the pretty pictures
P&L Free since 2008
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I remember I got called out for putting a 2/5 for service on what was an otherwise glowing review of Grinders from beeradvocate.

I explained that I don't care about service, and that I wished that there hadn't even been a dropdown for service, but she wasn't happy with me. I try to smile and say hello whenever I see her there, which is pretty much every single time I've ever been there in the last year.

Still my favorite in town.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

elextendo wrote: Ahh people, thanks for all the imput, I just got handed this link and have signed up..Yes, Its is me STRETCH 1 of the owners of Grinders, and also a individual of much discussion in these pages.. I hear and agree with almost all points about Grinders.. Im sorry for the way some have been treated or waiting to be mistreated there is no excuse. I will not tollerate it any longer, It has bothered me for quite awhile, We hire people that say there going to do somthing then go the other way, We hire because they are supossedly a pro, and want them to try and do there thing, We ARE LOOKING FOR TOP HELP..Please advise.. please come back and discuss with me or Anton( the other good looking fella) and a BEER on us..For those not bitching and supporting Thanks..sorry no Beer for you.. Ok one.. see me...
Mr. Cafe Trio - please read this post for instruction on an appropriate and effective management response to constructive criticisim posted on an internet board. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bahua wrote: I remember I got called out for putting a 2/5 for service on what was an otherwise glowing review of Grinders from beeradvocate.

I explained that I don't care about service, and that I wished that there hadn't even been a dropdown for service, but she wasn't happy with me. I try to smile and say hello whenever I see her there, which is pretty much every single time I've ever been there in the last year.
i'll go ahead and throw out there that this particular server is my favorite there.  she tries hard and is courteous and friendly.  

the one that was pregnant for like 2 years was great too.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Mr. Cafe Trio - please read this post for instruction on an appropriate and effective management response to constructive criticisim posted on an internet board. 

he said he AGREES with our criticism and is TRYING to fix the problem and is showing his employees this thread.  that seems like a pretty awesome response to me!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote:

he said he AGREES with our criticism and is TRYING to fix the problem and is showing his employees this thread.  that seems like a pretty awesome response to me!
Yeah that was my point - the cafe trio guy should take some notes. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah that was my point - the cafe trio guy should take some notes. 
ah yes, right, my bad. 

as you were! 

#-o
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

chrizow wrote: i'll go ahead and throw out there that this particular server is my favorite there.  she tries hard and is courteous and friendly.
Mine too. She's pretty sharp.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

bahua wrote: Mine too. She's pretty sharp.
Is this the girl with dark hair and the obnoxiously large rings?  She's really good.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: regarding carryout:  i've done it many times.  it either works well or terrible, depending on what you get and how far you travel with it.  the pizzas travel quite well, and you can put them on a pan in a 375-degree oven for a few minutes to freshen it back up.  the Philly travels well ONLY if you ask them to NOT wrap it in paper and simply place it in the plastic container.  the chicken fingers travel well but the french fries do not (from there to raytown anyway :)
Chicken Fingers?  Phillies?  Werent you a vegetarian? 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Chicken Fingers?  Phillies?  Werent you a vegetarian? 
indeed.  i took said items to mi familia.