Grinders

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Grinders

Post by beautyfromashes »

But I thought that Grinder's had taken over the noteriety of Gate's, Bryants and the Golden Ox as representing Kansas City in the food world.  How could it be anything but spectacular in every way?!?! It's been on tv!!!!!!!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Who here complaining has ever worked in the restaurant industry?  Hands?
Not in restaurant but serving the public in a few jobs.  It can be a bitch in that there are times no matter what you do the customer is pissed for whatever reason, more likely before showing up. And working with the public is not for everyone.  That's why it is important for the employer weeds those out early.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

ColumbusParkian wrote: my hand is very highly raised. I often go to Grinders, but most every time I go I think to myself how wildly different it would be ran if I were in charge.
More bicep, less boob?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

LMAO!

Loftguy, do you know me better than I think you do??
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

=;
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

In defense of the resto owners, it is extremely frustrating and sometimes very embarrassing to read bad comments online. I don't know Stretch but I know what it feels like. You feel completely exposed and defenseless. Imagine getting a bad job performance review in front of the whole world. You'd want to yell at someone too. Stretch could stand there and watch his employees for 10 straight days and on the 11th day when he has something else to tend to, everything falls apart. So give the guy a break for venting a little. It may not be the right way to handle it, (I've been known to fly off the handle a few times on line) but it's not fun. A fiery response is not a shitty attitude. If anything it's passion for what you do.

If you want the best results from a bad experience, handle complaints directly with management and ownership quickly through direct contact. Doing that will elicit respect, concern and an honest response (and probably something for free  :D ) Doing it on here through the veil of anonymity is a sure fire way to fire up the owner who feels side stepped. I know you guys are just trying to have a conversation about an experience, but don't be surprised when an frustrated owner chimes in.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Does the advice go for all those who choose to serve the public?  For example can we discuss the mayor doing a poor job?  Retailer?  Dry cleaner?  Bank?  President? 

I'm sure it is frustrating and embarrassing to read a customer getting a poor experience at the place you love and pour your heart into.....but to scold the customer for posting on the internet?  Come on. If that's the case businesses shouldn't benefit from positive internet reviews either....u mean they are still anonymous.

I totally get you that would be frustrating though. Part of the trade you chose though isn't it?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

fwiw, have been to grinders maybe 3 times in last month and haven't had any issues with service or the food.  can only think of one time that i've had very poor unacceptable service, but i can say that just about ever restaurant over a year or three.

now succotash otoh seems to pride themselves with poor service.  i go with those expectations set and can proactively manage it, like requesting the check well before i'm done eating.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ignatius wrote:
succotash otoh seems to pride themselves with poor service.  i go with those expectations set and can proactively manage it, like requesting the check well before i'm done eating.
yeah succotash is another place famous for bad service, but we have had nothing but great service - not just adequate, but very cheerful, good service - since they moved to Holmes.  maybe slightly spacy on occasion, but not bad at all. 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chrizow wrote: maybe slightly spacy on occasion, but not bad at all.  
Ah ha! Traditional greasy breakfast places that people frequent to work off a hangover or cure the 'munchies'.  The servers aren't lazy or incompetent, they're high.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Props to Elextendo for representing his actual self on the Interwebz. 
That said, Mr. Tendo, take anonymous commenters' opinions with a big, elk-sized, salt-lick-sized grain of salt. 

Who here complaining has ever worked in the restaurant industry?  Hands?
It doesn't take a lot of restaurant experience to understand a militant lesbian that hates everyone won't make the best server at a busy restaurant.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Wow, I thought I was holding back and not really venting..maybe I should change my Font..ha
P&L Free since 2008
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

trailerkid wrote: It doesn't take a lot of restaurant experience to understand a militant lesbian that hates everyone won't make the best server at a busy restaurant.
Well, trailerkid, that depends wholely upon your concept of "best".
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

No, but it does take some life-experience to understand the true nature of that waitresses' job.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: No, but it does take some life-experience to understand the true nature of that waitresses' job.
Sure does! Art school dropouts and privileged white people with no people-skills need not apply. cc/ Stretch
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Bitching about service improvements, but diners' and managers' behavior could improve too. 

Cool stereotypes, brah
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Went with some co-workers to Grinders after work and had some great service. Attentive and friendly. Convinced the gals to go with the "Near Death" wings...they were troopers, but suffering.

Sounds like the Cinderella show cancellation was a big cluster though.

http://backtorockville.typepad.com/back ... ancel.html

The comments are pretty funny.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Glad you had a good service..and yep some real winners on the back to rockville site.
P&L Free since 2008
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

3 part interview with Stretch

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2011/07/ ... rt_one.php
http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2011/07/ ... rt_two.php
http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2011/07/ ... _three.php

It's great that he wants to showcase Kansas City with his new shows and other business ventures he's been doing.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Grinders coming to Lenexa soon?

Edit: this is not a question...Stretch mentioned this last night at the SKC event (sorry stretch...you never know when you're talking to a forum member :twisted: ). Just putting it out there to see peoples thoughts.

Said it was a Grinders Roadhouse. Will have music venue as well.