Grinders

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Grinders

Post by chaglang »

Seems to be a trend: start a successful restaurant in Midtown, open a branch in the burbs. I don't have a problem with it, but I do wonder who their audience will be. Other places that have opened a second location (Bluestem(?), Room 39) seemed like an easier fit. Where in Lenexa?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Maybe, he can put a 25 foot steel cowgirl out front. Grinders in Lenexa lasts less than a year.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Grinders Lenextendo?
He should have gone to Mission Farms!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chaglang wrote:Seems to be a trend: start a successful restaurant in Midtown, open a branch in the burbs. I don't have a problem with it, but I do wonder who their audience will be. Other places that have opened a second location (Bluestem(?), Room 39) seemed like an easier fit. Where in Lenexa?
Forgot the last part....close branch as it can't compete with Applebees and eats away profits.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

this sounds like a pretty bad idea. look at Swagger - it expanded south to 135th and now both locations are suffering because the larger, new location is eating too much of the profits and operating funds of the original one on 85th. i wouldn't be surprised if Swagger's expansion brings the whole ship down. grinders is more well-known than swagger, but i still don't know if i see this translating to JoCo.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I don't know, they're about as well known as anybody in town, save for bbq joints. Swagger was never much known outside of foodie circles. All about location, maybe where the Pizza guy was on Pflumm, or old town? Don't see a strip mall fit.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

obviously stretch is a smart guy and is entitled to do whatever he wants, but i would like to see more investment in the urban core. for example, a cool, rustic-urban beer bar well placed at 31st and Cherry or even on Troost could cause a domino effect in that area and potentially start the ball rolling for troost revitalization. heck, that cool building at the SW corner of Armour and Troost could be great for something like that and could galvanize the area like Grinders has done for the East Xroads.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

chrizow wrote:this sounds like a pretty bad idea. look at Swagger - it expanded south to 135th and now both locations are suffering because the larger, new location is eating too much of the profits and operating funds of the original one on 85th. i wouldn't be surprised if Swagger's expansion brings the whole ship down. grinders is more well-known than swagger, but i still don't know if i see this translating to JoCo.
If you take away the gritty, urban, artistic fabric of Grinder's (which I don't believe you can recreate out South), what are you left with? Guy Fieri? I could see it being pretty successful up front, but my friends out South tend to have a go-to sports bar and base field trips to other places out South on how cheap the drinks are. Grinders has good food, but I think people go to the downtown location because of where it is as much as anything. The location out South would have to bring some type of destination vibe to it. It will be interesting to see if a music venue of any consequence can be successful out that way. Other than JCCC, are there any music venues South of ~95th that bring in reputable acts? Maybe he is on to something, but I don't see people driving in from Lee Summit/KCK/North to go to a George Clinton concert in the burbs. If he wants to sell beer to minors, however, this will be a gold mine.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote:I don't know, they're about as well known as anybody in town, save for bbq joints. Swagger was never much known outside of foodie circles. All about location, maybe where the Pizza guy was on Pflumm, or old town? Don't see a strip mall fit.
Wait is Pizza Man not there anymore?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

chrizow wrote:obviously stretch is a smart guy and is entitled to do whatever he wants, but i would like to see more investment in the urban core. for example, a cool, rustic-urban beer bar well placed at 31st and Cherry or even on Troost could cause a domino effect in that area and potentially start the ball rolling for troost revitalization. heck, that cool building at the SW corner of Armour and Troost could be great for something like that and could galvanize the area like Grinders has done for the East Xroads.
I absolutely agree, didn't think he would go for the "easy" money. I anticipated something in the direction of Troost as well.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

smh wrote:
grovester wrote:I don't know, they're about as well known as anybody in town, save for bbq joints. Swagger was never much known outside of foodie circles. All about location, maybe where the Pizza guy was on Pflumm, or old town? Don't see a strip mall fit.
I was thinking about the Stonewall place, not sure it's the same.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote:
smh wrote:
Ahh, got it. I don't always find myself in Lenexa, but when I do, I eat at Pizza Man.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

grovester wrote:
smh wrote:
I don't know the area at all, but i do believe stonewall is where he said it would go...i'm sure he'll let us know as soon as he realizes this thread is active again.

Will have a 400 person venue and lots of crazy art he said...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

JP Wine Bar, Avenues Bistro, etc. say GREAT IDEA.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

kboish wrote:
grovester wrote:
smh wrote: Wait is Pizza Man not there anymore?
I don't know the area at all, but i do believe stonewall is where he said it would go...i'm sure he'll let us know as soon as he realizes this thread is active again.

Will have a 400 person venue and lots of crazy art he said...
CALLED IT!

Surrounded by industrial and freeways allows for loud music.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Well....Now, don't think it's easy money but it will be a destination.
Troost corridor is cool, I live and have developed there..gimme a few weeks and will post photos of progress and story behind new location..I really think its gonna be special.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This might end up being a great idea. It could be like a Knuckleheads West
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

elextendo wrote:Well....Now, don't think it's easy money but it will be a destination.
Troost corridor is cool, I live and have developed there..gimme a few weeks and will post photos of progress and story behind new location..I really think its gonna be special.
That why I put it in quotes stretch, even easy money is hard. I'm looking forward to it.
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

grovester wrote:CALLED IT!

Surrounded by industrial and freeways allows for loud music.
I don't think I would call the Stonewall Inn location "surrounded by industrial and freeways" It's right across the street from a subdivision.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

You're correct, but that is a busy street and I think the other 3 sides qualify.