Parlor - 1707 Locust

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by DaveKCMO »

Seven restaurants, two bars. Soft opening this week and full opening this weekend.

http://www.parlorkcmo.com/

Also, the space is AMAZING.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by KCPowercat »

This place is pretty awesome.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

this is everything i hoped it would be
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Mother Clucker Chicken Sandwich - A
Vildhast Curry Korv - B-
Farm to Market Grilled Cheese - A
Wine selection - C
Interior design - A+
Service - A
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

karbon cochinita was great, A. the negroni exceeded expectations too.

in retrospect, i think the tap beer list is pretty bad.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've only eat at the Swedish place. So far but 20 bucks for a smaller sausage and fries seems a bit steep. How are the other place prices?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:24 am I've only eat at the Swedish place. So far but 20 bucks for a smaller sausage and fries seems a bit steep. How are the other place prices?
Thats kind of disapointing, you would think they would just copy the happy hour pricing at Krokstrom, i think its like 5 bucks for the smaller street dog.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean it was enough for lunch, I'm not a big eater... but it wasn't a particularly large sausage. More like toad from Mario kart I guess I'm saying.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:33 am I mean it was enough for lunch, I'm not a big eater... but it wasn't a particularly large sausage. More like toad from Mario kart I guess I'm saying.
Topical!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

How does this concept compare with the thing out in Lenexa? They have a similar concept, i just don't know how popular it is or if the restaurants are any good.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I can't speak for Lenexa, but I was recently at the two new food halls in New Orleans, Pythian Market and Auction House Market. Parlor is definitely a notch above those trendy spots. Both of those NOLA spots have some equally top-notch food options and Auction House particularly is a really nice space but in the end they both feel like food courts. Parlor knocked it out of the park as a space you'd actually want to spend time and hang out at. There are so many little nooks and crannies, different seating options / arrangements, covered outdoor area on the second floor, large bars on both floors. I'd feel comfortable just coming for drinks and not feel rushed or that the seating was for diners only.

Btw, we had cocktails (B+), kimchee pancake from Sura (A), half-order mixed gizzards and livers (A+...if you like gizzards) and a mac & cheese side (C+). I wanted to try so much more. The half-order of gizzards and liver was huge for $7...I wondered if I had received a full order. My wife was hoping for more vegetarian options, but Sura seems to cater to that w/ most items having a tofu option, also a grilled cheese and many salad options from Farm to Market, and Yaki Ya or whatever seemed to have a lot of veg options (from what I could tell), and obviously the pizza can be veg.

I'm going to be taking an e-scooter over to this place for lunch often.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I just had a chance to try Parlor. 25 bucks for half gizzards and bowl of yakisoba. Loved the yakisoba $12 + tip) but couldn't eat the gizzards, way too big and chewy. I love the go chicken go ones but not these.
Overall I would go back for a drink but think I would skip the food. The price point on the food just seems to high for what is mainly street food in all the stalls. I think a new vendor needs to go in and have a super cheap but popular food
The Danish Streetdog here is 11 but I'm pretty sure at Krokstrom it only cost 8 or 9 which seems odd.

It also feels super trendy, I've been to a place like this in Brooklyn and it didn't feel as trendy as this place.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:48 am I can't speak for Lenexa, but I was recently at the two new food halls in New Orleans, Pythian Market and Auction House Market. Parlor is definitely a notch above those trendy spots. Both of those NOLA spots have some equally top-notch food options and Auction House particularly is a really nice space but in the end they both feel like food courts. Parlor knocked it out of the park as a space you'd actually want to spend time and hang out at. There are so many little nooks and crannies, different seating options / arrangements, covered outdoor area on the second floor, large bars on both floors. I'd feel comfortable just coming for drinks and not feel rushed or that the seating was for diners only.

Btw, we had cocktails (B+), kimchee pancake from Sura (A), half-order mixed gizzards and livers (A+...if you like gizzards) and a mac & cheese side (C+). I wanted to try so much more. The half-order of gizzards and liver was huge for $7...I wondered if I had received a full order. My wife was hoping for more vegetarian options, but Sura seems to cater to that w/ most items having a tofu option, also a grilled cheese and many salad options from Farm to Market, and Yaki Ya or whatever seemed to have a lot of veg options (from what I could tell), and obviously the pizza can be veg.

I’ve reached the point in my adulthood where even the names of restaurants annoy me. Pythian Market? Trump cannot usher in the horrifying and chaotic collapse of this society soon enough for me.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:24 am I've only eat at the Swedish place. So far but 20 bucks for a smaller sausage and fries seems a bit steep. How are the other place prices?
Swedish prices for a socially responsible portion of sausage that you can smugly suggest is obviously ideal in a veiled racist way. You know, the full Scandinavian experience.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

chingon wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:24 pm
Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:48 am I can't speak for Lenexa, but I was recently at the two new food halls in New Orleans, Pythian Market and Auction House Market. Parlor is definitely a notch above those trendy spots. Both of those NOLA spots have some equally top-notch food options and Auction House particularly is a really nice space but in the end they both feel like food courts. Parlor knocked it out of the park as a space you'd actually want to spend time and hang out at. There are so many little nooks and crannies, different seating options / arrangements, covered outdoor area on the second floor, large bars on both floors. I'd feel comfortable just coming for drinks and not feel rushed or that the seating was for diners only.

I’ve reached the point in my adulthood where even the names of restaurants annoy me. Pythian Market? Trump cannot usher in the horrifying and chaotic collapse of this society soon enough for me.
Well....actually the name comes from the building, not some hipster millennial think tank. The historic Pythias Building, built by the Colored Knights of the Pythias in 1908. The building played an integral part in New Orleans early civil rights movement.

http://pythianmarket.com/gc/pm.nsf/pages/history

Sorry it annoys you 🤣
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I’ve reached the point in my adulthood where even the names of historic buildings annoy me. Pythias Building? Trump cannot usher in the horrifying and chaotic collapse of this society soon enough for me.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I still can't get over that price for the Hot Dog at the Swedish stall. 11 Bucks for a fairly skinny hot dog without any fries, it did look pretty though.

For the economics of the food stall pricing to change is to have a new stall go in that could offer something super cheap but could do high volume while the are people drinking like $3 Chicago Style Hot Dogs, cheap street tacos $2-$3 a pop not $13 like they are offering in the Karbon Stall (I think u get 2) - The pizza slices currently at Providence are 6 a piece which is somewhat fair.

Or am I confused by the entire place and is it all supposed to be upscale?

I honestly think some of the Food Stalls will fail quickly, the drinking/bar area is great though
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I think the idea is it is a bit upscale.

We went last night and had a great time. Had two yakitori (meat sticks) from Ya Ya's or whatever along with a nice salad and a Detroit style pizza from Providence. I would note that Providence is really selling half portions of its Sicilian/Detroit fare. For $18 you get half a pizza, basically. In Grandview it's $25 for the whole thing. But, of course, Grandview.

I also thought the beer prices were a little steep. $8 for a Biscuit though there were a few $5 options if memory serves.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:43 pm
chingon wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:24 pm

Well....actually the name comes from the building, not some hipster millennial think tank. The historic Pythias Building, built by the Colored Knights of the Pythias in 1908. The building played an integral part in New Orleans early civil rights movement.

http://pythianmarket.com/gc/pm.nsf/pages/history

Sorry it annoys you 🤣
Well...actually, I’m aware. And I still find it twee, annoying, and very “new New Orleans”