Open Spaces - Kansas City Arts Experience

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Open Spaces - Kansas City Arts Experience

Post by Midtownkid »

Went to Hye Dyve again on Sunday (Nick Cave abandoned church). There was a steady stream of people coming and going. My group was a bunch of coworkers from the suburbs. They loved it and kept talking about how that area will probably become gentrified and expensive someday. I think it would be great to fix up that area. The apartment houses are very grand (dilapidated, but grand). I give it 20 years.

One of the ideas behind Open Spaces was to get people out of their comfort zone and explore the city. I think that part is working!
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

If I can give anyone advice, it is this: do not miss Nick Cave's Hye Dyve.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

taxi wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:29 pm If I can give anyone advice, it is this: do not miss Nick Cave's Hye Dyve.
That's enough for me.

Frankly, I was just waiting for the weather to break.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

taxi wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:29 pm If I can give anyone advice, it is this: do not miss Nick Cave's Hye Dyve.
I can't amplify this enough. Do not miss this.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

grovester wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:27 pm
I can't amplify this enough. Do not miss this.
Agreed. I saw it a month ago and still think about it nearly every day. I keep nagging my friends go so I can talk about it with someone.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Checked out Hye Dyve on Saturday after all of the glowing reviews on here. What a unique, trippy experience. A perfect cocktail of art and architecture. It's a shame to think this beautiful building and work will just go back to being an unused/empty church post Open Spaces - would be awesome if this could be endowed by the Nelson or somesuch and made more permanent, perhaps with ancillary galleries, etc. Nick Cave is the man.

Also checked out most of the Swope Park works a few weeks ago. Really loved the flower filled swimming pool (forget the name) - rather spectacular. "Arts Village" was underwhelming and essentially empty when I visited - was hoping for more of an ethnic fest type feel with galleries/booths, etc.

So what do we think about the inaugural Open Spaces? I love the idea but not a single person I knew, nor media outside of the Janelle Monae concert and KC Studio/KCPT, has been discussing/attending.

I think this should have been held over a couple of weeks, with a heavy focus on a very active arts village or hub, and some major, flashy, must-see works located in the heart of the city, near Plaza, P&L, downtown/PVP whatever. Swope as center of the event is a cool idea, but needed more focus on a dynamic central location with constant events and more to see right there.

As it is was easy to not even realize the event was taking place if not plugged into the cultural scene to a degree, despite the billboards and streetcar ads. Thoughts?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The shitty local newscasts all featured pieces on Janelle Monae and actually tied here performance to Open Spaces...but that was like a week or two ago rather than at the beginning of everything. Granted I'm not the most in tune with social media advertising, but other than a couple of billboards and the Janelle Monae news I otherwise wouldn't have heard much about it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 am Checked out Hye Dyve on Saturday after all of the glowing reviews on here. What a unique, trippy experience. A perfect cocktail of art and architecture. It's a shame to think this beautiful building and work will just go back to being an unused/empty church post Open Spaces - would be awesome if this could be endowed by the Nelson or somesuch and made more permanent, perhaps with ancillary galleries, etc. Nick Cave is the man.

Also checked out most of the Swope Park works a few weeks ago. Really loved the flower filled swimming pool (forget the name) - rather spectacular. "Arts Village" was underwhelming and essentially empty when I visited - was hoping for more of an ethnic fest type feel with galleries/booths, etc.

So what do we think about the inaugural Open Spaces? I love the idea but not a single person I knew, nor media outside of the Janelle Monae concert and KC Studio/KCPT, has been discussing/attending.

I think this should have been held over a couple of weeks, with a heavy focus on a very active arts village or hub, and some major, flashy, must-see works located in the heart of the city, near Plaza, P&L, downtown/PVP whatever. Swope as center of the event is a cool idea, but needed more focus on a dynamic central location with constant events and more to see right there.

As it is was easy to not even realize the event was taking place if not plugged into the cultural scene to a degree, despite the billboards and streetcar ads. Thoughts?
I thought it was pretty solid for a first go around. Build on it for two years from now. It doesn't have to be a global sensation out of the gate. I was pleased it appeared well-executed and people who attended enjoyed it.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Went to Hye Dyve last night - the projections on the walls and audio weren't working and the older gentleman who was supervising the venue was clueless on how to get it back up. He actually thought that by letting the 10 minute loop run through several times it would correct itself :(

I'd like to see more exhibits spread into the neighborhoods, rather than clustered on the east side. But above all, they need to do better with their app (as has been mentioned here previously) and provide more signage from major roads.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

kcjak wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:48 am Went to Hye Dyve last night - the projections on the walls and audio weren't working and the older gentleman who was supervising the venue was clueless on how to get it back up. He actually thought that by letting the 10 minute loop run through several times it would correct itself :(
That's too bad. I went 10 days ago (for the second time – I've found the only way to get some people to go is to drag them there, personally) and one projector was down. The person I was with didn't realize it, but it made a big difference to me. I asked the person working the entrance if they knew about it and they said they did, Nick was apparently the only one capable of fixing it and he is in Chicago. They were trying to figure out how to get it fixed. Too bad it has apparently gotten worse.

The first time I saw it, I wondered if the complicated set up would be difficult to maintain for such a long run. I figured they must have a tech either on site or on call to handle interruptions and issues. I'm sure bulbs are going out in projectors and such. I'm supposed to take my sister and her kids tomorrow, but now I wonder if it's worth it.