Brewpubs

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Brewpubs

Post by Highlander »

Does KC have any actual brew pubs now that 75th Brewery has closed that are not chains? I know there are a couple downtown like Gordon Biersch but that's a national chain. I know there are a couple where food is an afterthought but I was thinking of something at the scale of Wynkoops in Denver or Free State in Lawrence. It seems for a city that likes beer as much as KC, and of KC's size, there should be several.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Brewpubs

Post by kboish »

Imperial, Calibration, Green Room, McCoys, Martin City Brewery, and Weston Brewing all have restaurants.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kboish wrote:Imperial, Calibration, Green Room, McCoys, Martin City Brewery, and Weston Brewing all have restaurants.
Actually, I think KC is a bit "underbuilt" in this regard. That's not a particularly impressive list - fledgling operations, places not known for food that excels, and places that are a bit far afield. I would think a Free State type place would be a huge hit in the Crossroads or downtown. I am just wondering if there is pent up demand in this genre?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Imperial has excellent food, far better than anything at Free State. I agree about scale though, all our places are smaller.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Highlander wrote:
kboish wrote:Imperial, Calibration, Green Room, McCoys, Martin City Brewery, and Weston Brewing all have restaurants.
Actually, I think KC is a bit "underbuilt" in this regard. That's not a particularly impressive list - fledgling operations, places not known for food that excels, and places that are a bit far afield. I would think a Free State type place would be a huge hit in the Crossroads or downtown. I am just wondering if there is pent up demand in this genre?
Imperial does have excellent food, but I agree and think there is definitely room for more. PnL is a perfect location for some local brewpub type operation, but I'm sure Gordon Biersch has a non-compete. The old rivermarket brewery location is ripe for a comeback.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Brewery Emperial and McCoy's have this reasonably well covered, I think. Both have good beer and good to very good food at reasonable prices, nice patios, etc.

I'm not sure that the "brewpub" genre is as desirable as it once was - there are too many places that serve both solid food and local/interesting beer (from other specialty breweries). I'm thinking places like Beer Kitchen, Westside Local, Farmhouse, Char Bar, Brown & Loe, etc. etc.

RE: Free State - I agree and would certainly love to see a Free State, Flat Branch, or Tallgrass brewpub in PnL!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, craft beer from all over mixed with local seems to be the trend now, not brewpubs. Has been for a while. But would be good for each major area of metro to have one and when you include chains KC isn't really lacking for its size.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

rxlexi wrote:I'm not sure that the "brewpub" genre is as desirable as it once was - there are too many places that serve both solid food and local/interesting beer (from other specialty breweries).
The craft beer scene has definitely moved away from brewpubs in favor of taprooms - virtually every new brewery has a taproom open from day 1 at this point.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

swid wrote:
rxlexi wrote:I'm not sure that the "brewpub" genre is as desirable as it once was - there are too many places that serve both solid food and local/interesting beer (from other specialty breweries).
The craft beer scene has definitely moved away from brewpubs in favor of taprooms - virtually every new brewery has a taproom open from day 1 at this point.
True. Plus it is more common/fiscally expedient to just partner with a food truck than to operate your own kitchen.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote:
free state excels in the food department?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Highlander wrote:
free state excels in the food department?
I actually like the food at Free State. I use to go to Lawrence on business from time to time and my Houston based colleagues always enjoyed it too. I really like the scale of the operation, I think that is what KC doesn't have; A large scale brew pub in a central location like Wynkoops or Free State. Gordon Biersch is the only thing close. From the comments, however, it sounds like the brewpub concept is falling out of favor.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I really like the scale of the operation, I think that is what KC doesn't have; A large scale brew pub in a central location like Wynkoops or Free State. Gordon Biersch is the only thing close.
As mentioned, I think McCoy's especially, and Brewery Emperial to a lesser degree (size/scale/more hipster) fit this description quite well?

Agreed that a large, Gordon Biersch-esque brewpub run by a local team would be ideal in PnL or Xroads.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This is a whiskey town. Leave the brewpubs to Denver.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Are they closing the Johnson County spot as well?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

StrangerThings wrote:Btw, I should have been more clear. Gordon Biersch is closing.
when?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I know I'm a broken record, but, get Hofbrauhaus. Would be fairly unique in the US and you could turn Live! into a great Octoberfest area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

P&L seems to be a bit too heavy with beer houses. House of Blues would be a good replacement for that spot. Mass appeal enough but not the 'theme' crap of HRC. HoB actually books touring music.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Didn't realize AEG had an exclusive agreement, but not surprising either.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

worth mentioning that AEG is doing the booking for The Truman...
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

StrangerThings wrote:There is already a new tenant for the GB space. Will be announced this week.... stay tuned!
Is it Local? You gotta give us some sort of hint!