Thrillist ranks KC burgers

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Thrillist ranks KC burgers

Post by FangKC »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Thrillist ranks KC burgers

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I kind of find Winsteads and Town Topic very overpriced for what you get. Its like 4 bucks for a very thin patty. I actually find the burger selections in this city to be kind of subpar, I think one of the better burgers around is at KC Smoke Burger on 39th, very unique flavors.

Even though its a chain, I think 5 guys is one of the best in town, the different toppings as well as all the different shake combo's is really nice.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I like Town Topic more than Winstead's. I do think it may be a bit overpriced, but a Town Topic double cheese w/grilled onions + onion rings is my favorite greasy burger meal.

The McCoy's burger with Merck's cheese spread is really good. The Peanut also has a solid burger.

I didn't find much special about HiBoy or Humdinger - both referenced in the article. I do think the Flea Market does a great burger, but I go with the Market Burger instead of the mini market. Other than the fact I'm a glutenous pig, I think the Mini Markets get overcooked too easy.

Anyone had the Snack Shack in old OP? They got some press recently about their burger. I keep meaning to try it, but I haven't yet.

Editing to add that The Jacobson burger and Westside Local burger are really good too. Probably more expensive than they need to be.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I haven't had Snack Shack in several years, but it was super awesome circa 2009ish. The ownership changed around that time (and the name too, it was originally called Shake Shack but changed presumably due to the NYC-based chain). It stayed consistent through that ordeal, but it's been so long at this point that I can't really vouch for them with confidence. I like to think they are still rad.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

WSPanic wrote:I like Town Topic more than Winstead's. I do think it may be a bit overpriced, but a Town Topic double cheese w/grilled onions + onion rings is my favorite greasy burger meal.

The McCoy's burger with Merck's cheese spread is really good. The Peanut also has a solid burger.

I didn't find much special about HiBoy or Humdinger - both referenced in the article. I do think the Flea Market does a great burger, but I go with the Market Burger instead of the mini market. Other than the fact I'm a glutenous pig, I think the Mini Markets get overcooked too easy.

Anyone had the Snack Shack in old OP? They got some press recently about their burger. I keep meaning to try it, but I haven't yet.

Editing to add that The Jacobson burger and Westside Local burger are really good too. Probably more expensive than they need to be.
2nd Westside Local. Who cares about the price? I want my burger along with a killer cocktail.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

The Union Hill Cafe Europa isn't exactly a burger joint, but it does have a tasty burger. I also think the bacon cheeseburger at Fric & Frac is pretty solid, although the fries are all over the map.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I'm still very partial to Wesport Flea Market. However, I remember a quasi fast food place on Blue Ridge road south of 95th called Paul's Pizza that dates way back to my high school days in the 70's - always had great burgers and much better than town topic or Winsteads . I was surprised to see that they are still in business albeit they get very little press despite being an institution in south KC.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

WSPanic wrote:Anyone had the Snack Shack in old OP? They got some press recently about their burger. I keep meaning to try it, but I haven't yet.
I like Snack Shack, wouldn't say it's worth an excursion out of your way, but it's a good neighborhood joint similar to Town Topic with a family owned vibe. Competent high school kids working the counter. Good shakes too.

I had a very good burger at Red Door Grill in Brookside last night as part of their burger night. Had never been there before and was in the area so gave it a shot. Liked the place and the burger quite a bit.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

A decent place I don't mind is Tay's in North KC on Armour road. I like that all the burgers are Grass Fed Meat.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Peculiar Drive In has a very good burger with many options. And can do custom-made if you prefer.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

The Corner Cocktail at 85/Wornall has a very good burger. Also Aixois has a great burger and maybe the most expensive in town (I think it's like $17 with cheese) but it's actually worth it - and, miraculously, arrives medium rare. There is nothing worse than an overcooked burger, and so many places serve well-done hockey pucks (including the "good places" and even if I clearly request otherwise) that I rarely order a burger to avoid burger-regret.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's only really good at identifying if a specific burger is worth buying from someone I suppose knows food and not how a place ranks.
To do that he would need someone to buy a selection blind and let him rank the burgers without knowing where they come from.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Westport Flea Market gets my business if I'm anywhere near midtown. No brainer. And, if I'm (weirdly) not in the mood for a burger, their cajun chicken sandwich is killer.

Outside of that, I'm a variety kind of guy. I like steak burgers...ya, thin patties cooked until nearly blackened crispy around the edges with all the toppings. I'll destroy a Freddy's double in about 90 seconds or less.

Is Town Topic that little joint on the north side of Johnson Drive in downtown Shawnee? That place is darn good, too. It's a tough decision when in that part of town .... Don Chilito's, RJ's Bob B Que .... some good choices. But, Town Topic for a burger and shake.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Not a totally popular opinion, but I've thought Westport Flea Market's burgers were overhyped for years. They are good, but not close to great. Green Room is so much better and just down the street.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I really like Westport Flea Market but I think you have to order them well done for them to be a top quality burger, anything less and they tend to get kind of greasy and mushy. Westport Flea Market has some really bad fries
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

"Overhyped"..."mushy"...????

What is wrong with you people! Lol

For real though, what is wrong with you people.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Brewery Emperial has an excellent burger. And Corvino has one on their late night bar menu – after 10 – for $8. The fries at both are some of the best, especially at Corvino.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

taxi wrote:Brewery Emperial has an excellent burger.
truth. best thing i've had there so far.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Their chicken is as good as anywhere, except maybe El Pollo Rey.