Freshwater - Midtown

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Freshwater - Midtown

Post by kcjak »

During the Midtown-Plaza Area Plan planning sessions the facilitators told residents on several occasions that several plans had been drawn up to make the trafficway more of a boulevard, with the goal of slowing traffic and reconnecting the neighborhoods on the east and west sides. Speed bumps, more traffic signals, road diet and left turn lanes were all referenced. At the time, I seem to recall being told there would be more community information once there was a plan to redo the island where SW Trfwy crosses Westport Rd.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Maybe a wacky idea, maybe not. Contract Hunt Midwest to mine tunnels underneath midtown. They can have the limestone and the tunnels can be used for streetcar (essentially subway) and then underground road (perhaps even using Elon Musk sleds some day). One tunnel below SW Tfway that connects Ward Parkway to downtown (give SW Tfway a significant road diet), another tunnel between Main/Broadway through Midtown that have subway exits to both roads.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

earthling wrote:Maybe a wacky idea, maybe not. Contract Hunt Midwest to mine tunnels underneath midtown. They can have the limestone and the tunnels can be used for streetcar (essentially subway) and then underground road (perhaps even using Elon Musk sleds some day). One tunnel below SW Tfway that connects Ward Parkway to downtown (give SW Tfway a significant road diet), another tunnel between Main/Broadway through Midtown that have subway exits to both roads.
YES!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Quantum qubit state answers are wonderful - on, off, on/off at same time. Thank you for playing. There's a swag bag for you on way out.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

A good relocation spot for them would be the spot where the Drop use to be. I really think that area could use fine dining, lots of disposable income in the Union Hill area.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I thought The Drop was staying under the same ownership and just reconcepting. I'm sure there are other spots over there.

The kitchen side of Freshwater still looks relatively in-order. So, he has all the equipment. Unfortunately, all of the work he put into the dining room is lost. Would be great if they could stay in midtown.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It didn't sound like he put a lot into the dining room, he is quoted as saying he bought most of the stuff from IKEA and he even did most of the painting
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Any news on this place?

Post by Highlander »

I read great reviews early on...then the car crash. Was really hoping it would open back up, seemed like a great idea and concept. It's been 6 months since the crash, has the owner revealed anything about a timetable for getting it re-opened? Is that even going to happen?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It's an Abnos owned building. Expect it to sit in that wrecked state for years.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sigh. If that's the case you're probably right.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

moderne wrote:It's an Abnos owned building. Expect it to sit in that wrecked state for years.
There was active reconstruction when I drove past the other day.

I think the question was if he restaurant had relocated yet. The owner called into KCUR during a conversation about DT awhile back. He indicated he was having trouble finding a location that worked for him in the Xroads because of parking requirements etc. but that was his preferred location.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Looks like he's also running a restaurant in Boonville now. http://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/k ... 7cd60.html
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Same questions could be asked about Plate in Brookside.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

From what I've heard Plate is done for good. Staff allegedly had major issues with husband not making payroll prior to fire. Assume he was skimming. Property owner will be looking for another restaurant tenant.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

kucer wrote:From what I've heard Plate is done for good. Staff allegedly had major issues with husband not making payroll prior to fire. Assume he was skimming. Property owner will be looking for another restaurant tenant.
Instant karmas gonna getcha.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Looks like Freshwater will be back to its original location this Spring.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 70229.html

Owner plans to put up barriers. Too bad there is not much that can be done with SW Trafficway - its essentially a street forced into a role as a highway with zero buffer between the road and the buildings. The speed limit if I remember correctly is already 35 mph albeit routinely ignored - cannot really drop the speed limit and closing a lane would create havoc at rush hour.
Last edited by Highlander on Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Great news. I'm glad he's giving it another go.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Highlander wrote:Looks like Freshwater will be back to its original location this Spring.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 70229.html

Owner plans to put up barriers. Too bad there is not much that can be done with SW Trafficway - its essentially a street forced into a role as a highway with zero buffer between the road and the buildings. The speed limit if I remember correctly is already 35 mph albeit routinely ignored - cannot really drop the speed limit and closing a lane would create havoc at rush hour.
Disagree Highlander.
Remove a lane from either side of SWT and eliminate most all parking along this boulevard.
Widen the sidewalks and install new retail all along.
Rush hour will manage and it will be a more attractive drive.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

How does one "install" new retail? Do you kick existing folks out?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

WSPanic wrote:How does one "install" new retail? Do you kick existing folks out?
You build new neighborhood retail.
Create walkable streets with patios, benches, places to gather.
Restaurants, bakerys, pubs, shops.

We need to slow things down to make it attractive.