Freshwater - Midtown

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Freshwater - Midtown

Post by WSPanic »

loftguy wrote:
WSPanic wrote:How does one "install" new retail? Do you kick existing folks out?
You build new neighborhood retail.
Create walkable streets with patios, benches, places to gather.
Restaurants, bakerys, pubs, shops.

We need to slow things down to make it attractive.
I guess I just don't see the room, demand, desire... whatever... for any of that. I'm on board with creative ways to slow down traffic on SW Trafficway, but the idea that we're somehow going to turn it into an idyllic urban dreamscape seems a bit too ambitious.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

A quick scan of the corridor shows multiple development sites and other opportunities to creatively build on setbacks if the sidewalks were pushed out.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
WSPanic wrote:How does one "install" new retail? Do you kick existing folks out?
You build new neighborhood retail.
Create walkable streets with patios, benches, places to gather.
Restaurants, bakerys, pubs, shops.

We need to slow things down to make it attractive.
Concur!

That said, I'd heard Freshwater was heading to the Drop space in Martini Corner, so that's a shame from my perspective to see it back in no man's land.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Wow! I wouldn’t go back in that spot and I probably wouldn’t want to eat there. No food, no matter how excellent, is worth risking a car in my lap.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

My insurance is up to date.....I will support Freshwater.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

loftguy wrote:My insurance is up to date.....I will support Freshwater.
I guess the food is good. Would make a great last meal.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote:
loftguy wrote:My insurance is up to date.....I will support Freshwater.
I guess the food is good. Would make a great last meal.
Eat quickly and survive!! Actually, the article in the Star said the owner was putting barricades up to at least lessen the risk of a recurrence of the incident that shut him down. I suspect a car crashing into that building was the absolute last thing on the mind of any of the diners prior to that actually happening.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I had dinner at Revival at the Hotel Frederick in Boonville a few weeks ago and spoke with Chef Davis about his return to the Freshwater concept.

He said he felt like he really had "something special" going on in that space specifically, was on a roll, and wanted to capture that vibe again. He's excited about reopening. I never made it to Freshwater during its brief tenure but agreed that the general consensus seemed universally positive at the time. Wishing him the best!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

They had some kind of Morel Mushroom soup when we dined there and it was out of this world, it was one of the best dishes i've ever had in KC.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

If I'm going buy it on the trafficway (which does seem like a possibility, given the amount of time I spend on it or near it or crossing it), I want to be eating at Freshwater. My one meal there was so imaginative and delicious, and very reasonably priced.
yeliab
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by yeliab »

"KC restaurant damaged by drunk driver crash on Southwest Trafficway nearly ready to reopen"
http://fox4kc.com/2018/03/14/kc-restaur ... to-reopen/

Freshwater set to reopen within a couple of months. Looking forward to trying it.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

A group of us went for dinner Saturday. It was the first time for most of us, but one couple had been prior to the wreck.

In short, the food is excellent. We did the tasting menu with wine pairings and it was totally worth it. There were no disappointments in the 10+ courses.

Had a quick drink at the bar afterwards. The bar is a pretty good size for the space. We had a gin fizz that was infused with lilac. I didn't see a drink menu, but the bar manager said that all cocktails were $8. They had a wide variety of homemade mixers and ingredients for making the cocktails. In the works is a happy hour. Probably not going to have drink specials since the price is already reasonable, but would instead feature complimentary snacks. Looking forward to that.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Its nice they have a bar now, before the fire there wasn't really any kind of bar
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Freshwater - Midtown - Now Lilly's Cantina?

Post by WSPanic »

There's a sign for Lilly's Cantina in the old Freshwater space. There's a food truck of the same name in Columbia, MO - https://www.lillyscantina.com/ - not sure if they're affiliated or when it's set to open.