Brewery Emperial - 1829 Oak

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Brewery Emperial - 1829 Oak

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Brewery Emperial - 1829 Oak

Post by KCPowercat »

see you there.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Worst building renovation in KC for the last several decades. How did the city let this happen?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

This was a run of the mill cinder block building contributing nothing in the way of traffic in any sense of the term. The label of worst building renovation in KC in decades seems a little harsh, no?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:Worst building renovation in KC for the last several decades. How did the city let this happen?
...maybe from the outside. i think the dining room/bar/kitchen area inside is a success. looking forward to the summer to see how they activate the, um, prison yard.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Inside is pretty great IMO. Outside with that barn thing is a bit obscene but given the industrial nature of the area historically I think it makes for an iconic locale....The patio border could have been better but again, it reflect this history of the neighborhood.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Had lunch there recently, fantastic.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

kcjak wrote:The label of worst building renovation in KC in decades seems a little harsh, no?
Nope! I would almost make the statement that it would have been better if it was torn down than what they did. I mean, they bolted a feed shed onto the side, parked a shipping container on the other side and painted their logo on the side of the brick building. It couldn't be worse.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote:prison yard.
:)
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I felt like the Food and Beer is good- which was more important to me. The exterior is pretty weak, but as someone mentioned- it is certainly no worse than what was already there- now its just activated. I enjoyed the interior space.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

It's not a feed shed, whatever that is. It's a quonset hut, one of the most innovative and practical pre-fab building designs of all time. It's cheap, efficient, practical and I think it's beautiful. Beauty, after all, is in the eye of the beholder – whether it comes from ashes or corrugated metal.

I recommend you check out the interior brewing area. The quonset design functions very well for their needs. As for the patio, I think it will be very nice by the time they get it together. There aren't a lot of outdoor dining/drinking patios in town that get a lot of sunlight. I'm looking forward to wasting a lot of time there, and spending time getting wasted.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

taxi wrote:It's not a feed shed, whatever that is. It's a quonset hut, one of the most innovative and practical pre-fab building designs of all time. It's cheap, efficient, practical and I think it's beautiful. Beauty, after all, is in the eye of the beholder – whether it comes from ashes or corrugated metal.

I recommend you check out the interior brewing area. The quonset design functions very well for their needs. As for the patio, I think it will be very nice by the time they get it together. There aren't a lot of outdoor dining/drinking patios in town that get a lot of sunlight. I'm looking forward to wasting a lot of time there, and spending time getting wasted.
Agreed. I find the corrugated solution interesting and appealing.
Even more so, I appreciate the food and beer.
Stopped by last night to check it out and think it's a good addition.
The short-rib dog was really tasty and the fries are now my favorite (my favorite, some will of course hate them).
The spinach gnudi and oxtail soup was good, but I wouldn't feel compelled to order it again.
Friends had the grilled chicken, rabbit egg roll and duck confit Scotch eggs and all were wowed with the result.
The Porter, Milk Stout, Biscuit and Kolsch were all good beers, but the IPA was exceptional, and I'm not typically an IPA fan.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

When finding this place I parked on Oak a little north of Josey Records. When I first walked towards this place I thought "There is no way this is a brewery" - I almost turned around before I could see the brewery part.

I found the beers to be pretty basic. Nothing really wowed me. I think it will be a huge success though because the food is amazing and the beer is the kind that appeals to everyone.
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Quonset- French for "feed shed".
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Bon.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

You all are a tough crowd. The place fits right into its environment, it's not like they "ruined" a perfectly good building. The interior is quite nice, I thought. Inside out grilled cheese is pretty excellent!
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

No aesthetic assessment of this building matters until moderne has given their input.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

finally checked out brewery emperial. we really liked it. i think they did a nice job with a rather lackluster little building. the place was packed and there was even a good crowd outside despite the slightly chilly weather. only tried one beer but liked it. had the grilled whole trout which was delicious. also tried the rabbit tempura rolls which were tasty enough - good bar snack. they also have a short but sweet wine list. we will definitely be back. to me this place hits a nice "sweet spot" between fine dining and bar fare. it's basically grinders x room 39.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

chrizow wrote:finally checked out brewery emperial. we really liked it. i think they did a nice job with a rather lackluster little building. the place was packed and there was even a good crowd outside despite the slightly chilly weather. only tried one beer but liked it. had the grilled whole trout which was delicious. also tried the rabbit tempura rolls which were tasty enough - good bar snack. they also have a short but sweet wine list. we will definitely be back. to me this place hits a nice "sweet spot" between fine dining and bar fare. it's basically grinders x room 39.
Agreed. I have been here for lunch a few times, food is solid and the vibe is great for the area.