How important is nightlife in a cosmopolitan city?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

How important is nightlife in a cosmopolitan city?

Post by FangKC »

I saw these two articles in the same day, and thought they merited a look as part of the discussion of what contributes to making a city cosmopolitan and attractive for its' residents.

The conversation also touches on a recent local issue of property owners controlling who gets liquor licenses, and where.

I was trying to think off the top of my head how many nightclubs remained in the city. I'm not talking about just bars where people drink, but nightclubs where people go to dance and listen to DJs and live music. It seems like dance clubs have mostly disappeared from Kansas City. I wonder what effect this has on attracting and retaining younger people.

It could be a situation where I'm just to old to notice the club scene in Kansas City.

I will say that one of my attractions to living in New York City was certainly the robust nightlife. It was a huge reason I lived there, and I continued going out regularly until my mid 30s.

It's not only young people having something to do. Nightlife contributes heavily to the local economy, and certainly provides tax revenue to the City. Cities with a lot of entertainment options also tend to be attractive to convention business.

How night mayors are proving the economic and cultural value of robust nightlife

While nightlife often gets stigmatized and undervalued, progressive club coalitions and night mayors are making an economic and cultural argument for a vital after-hours economy

http://www.curbed.com/2016/9/6/12814920 ... commission

London's nightlife is disappearing — here's why that's dangerous for the city

http://mashable.com/2016/09/06/talking- ... 183hxodaq4
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: How important is nightlife in a cosmopolitan city?

Post by flyingember »

Go beyond entertainment and jobs. It's about public safety too.

They provide a positive place to go in the evening. I would think a community would want 20-something people inside a club with professionals handling getting cabs vs everyone at a house party driving home because no one is sober and the noise coming from the house upsets the neighbors.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

If I remember correctly a business that allows dancing has a different or additional license than one that doesn't allow dancing. But that's a minor issue. In the 70's and 80's, our time of dancing and drinking, there were many places for this activity. And at that time the music was live, that is until disco and urban cowboy came around. Almost all of the places weren't big but they didn't have to be.
Maybe one difference is those old places weren't considered clubs, just a place to go and have a drink and maybe dance if you want to.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

London is different because most pubs/restaurants close at 11PM and private clubs become the center of nightlife. I think any place that serves drinks needs to pay much more (and better employee benefits) to stay open past 11 so many close at 11. If London didn't have such restrictions, nightlife wouldn't be as much in danger.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It seems like whenever a club was started here it would just create violence, and rolling gun battles.

It seems like most clubs have a short lifecycle, like at first they become really exclusive to build up this hype, then they get a little more lenient but still kind of douchy because they need to make more money then they have a last leg were they just let anyone in because the club is not in style anymore (Happens to clubs in Vegas all the time), and they eventually close up
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Maybe that's the problem, clubs. The places visited years ago did have dance floors but mostly they were used on Friday and Saturday nights. The rest of the week the places mostly served as just a bar.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

When this kind of crap happens its hard to get good nightlife. I don't understand why anyone would just start shooting, maybe he was trying to hit the police. What is the new problem bar this time around in Westport? I'm gonna say Throwback.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kck-man-charge ... s/41637948
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

My initial response was going to be something along the lines of "Really? Isn't that a video game bar like Up/Down?" Then I saw the pictures on their website.

Probably Throwback.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

People you still live in the midwest, and its still like Footloose here. Congregation is still met with mistrust