HopCat at Westport/Broadway

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

HopCat at Westport/Broadway

Post by kboish »

It was announced today that HopCat will replace PeachWave at the corner of Westport and Broadway. It will include a new roof top seating area. It is a craft beer focused bar(doesn't serve Coors, Millers,or AB).
HopCat will offer a selection of at least 30 beers from Missouri and Kansas and 100 rotating taps featuring seasonal selections, hard-to-find beers, HopCat’s exclusive collaborations and other craft selections from around the world
It is taking a 10,000-square-foot-plus space on three levels at 401 Westport Road. It plans a major renovation with the help of the building’s owner, CAD Management, that is expected to cost more than $2.5 million and will include a rooftop deck and bar.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... tport.html

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 62707.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: HopCat at Westport/Broadway

Post by earthling »

Just got back from LA and saw the construction yesterday blocking the sidewalk. Was wondering what that was. Not sure Westport needs another beer place, wider range of ethnics eats would be nice to have back (thai, ethiopian, vietnamese, moroccan, etc). But at least it's a filled empty spot.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

earthling wrote:Just got back from LA and saw the construction yesterday blocking the sidewalk. Was wondering what that was. Not sure Westport needs another beer place, wider range of ethnics eats would be nice to have back (thai, ethiopian, vietnamese, moroccan, etc). But at least it's a filled empty spot.
Can't say it excites me. Food menu seems McCoys-ish. Good beer can be found anywhere. As far as I can tell, Riot Room may still have best tap beer selection in Westport. Beer Kitchen for Bottles. McCoys for house-brewed. Not sure where this place sees itself fitting in, or setting itself apart.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I haven't been to any HopCat location, so I don't have a handle on their locations' average tap quality or ability to get in rare beers. In any case, this will functionally be Westport's Flying Saucer, Yard House, or Old Chicago.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

swid wrote:I haven't been to any HopCat location, so I don't have a handle on their locations' average tap quality or ability to get in rare beers. In any case, this will functionally be Westport's Flying Saucer, Yard House, or Old Chicago.
Or...Westport's Ale House
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I should have made it more explicit that my semantic mapping of it is as a chain craft beer bar.

In any case, I'm sure Westport Ale House isn't happy about its location being just a block away.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

A couple things that might have it going for them over says the Local Pig/Bridgers Bottle Thud is the Roof Top Deck and a highly visable space at Westport/Broadway which might attract the people seeing it while staying on the plaza. Yesterday I heard an older guy smoking a cigar at Fidel's say something to the tune of "Awesome area, too bad the parking sucks around here" I just grit my teeth hearing this because I still don't think Westport has a parking problem but I wish it did.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Opens Saturday, Feb 25.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: HopCat/TikiCat at Westport/Broadway

Post by WSPanic »

So, I guess the downstairs of HopCat is now a Tiki Bar called TikiCat - According to Feast, it opened last week? Anyone been?

https://www.tikicatkc.com/
http://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/k ... e4a1a.html

Is there still a "secret/backyard" KCK Tiki Bar somewhere? I remember hearing that several years ago.

Edit: Here's the KCRag Tiki Thread... http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?t=19274

Edit 2: Here's that weird place in KCK http://www.yelp.com/biz/fredericks-tiki-bar-kansas-city
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

what is y'alls opinion on this place? we are getting one in u-city and i imagine that i will frequent it quite often. all the "cool" non-chain brewery/beer bar stuff goes to the city, so i'll take a midwestern chain beer bar anyday...i mean it looks ok. i imagine it is..ok.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

warwickland wrote:what is y'alls opinion on this place? we are getting one in u-city and i imagine that i will frequent it quite often. all the "cool" non-chain brewery/beer bar stuff goes to the city, so i'll take a midwestern chain beer bar anyday...i mean it looks ok. i imagine it is..ok.
The beer list is really impressive and they have tons (if not all?) local stuff from around Missouri. Otherwise, it feels similar to Flying Saucer, et al.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The beer list is way out of scale with historic Westport beer lists.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Yeah - great beer list with great local/regional selections. I thought they did a nice job with the rooftop deck as well. I'll also check out the Tiki bar in the basement at some point. I haven't eaten there - not really planning on it. They seem to be known for their french fries ("Crack Fries") - which don't really excite me.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

cool...they seem to value out-of-doors beers, which is the only way to fly. they are building an allegedly large back patio where none existed.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

chingon wrote:The beer list is way out of scale with historic Westport beer lists.
The beer density is too high which causes all kinds of traffic around the tables and bar. I can't even park myself in front of the bar unless I leave work early.
mykn

Post by mykn »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
chingon wrote:The beer list is way out of scale with historic Westport beer lists.
The beer density is too high which causes all kinds of traffic around the tables and bar. I can't even park myself in front of the bar unless I leave work early.
I'm fearful that the beer list will block out the sun and in winter the ice won't melt.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri May 19, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I think both would be great. Speaking of which I'm surprised no one has tried to get a bar next to kcub especially since the Pendleton arts block will be built right there as well. Not to mention paseo gateway.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Who's even drinking all these beers? And who can afford a 7 dollar pint? They are just going to price out those of us who like our 2 dollar Budweisers.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

A flight glass? Who could possibly live with a beer so small?