The Standard Pour

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
WSPanic
Supporter

The Standard Pour

Post by WSPanic »

The Standard Pour - 1511 Westport Road

We were discussing this in the "Fate of Westport" thread, but thought it deserved its own. This is the old Boozefish/Wyoming Street Bar and Grill spot on Westport Road next to Mike Kelly's. I actually went in hopes of them having Time Warner and the KU game, but they didn't, and it really didn't matter since the food was so good.

Pete Peterman took over the kitchen recently and the menu has been changed completely. If you had been to Peterman's place on 39th street, you'll recognize a few of the dishes (I cannot remember the name of his last restaurant). The menu is a combination of apps and entrees - entrees ranging from $13-$24. I had a Bistro Filet w/Mashed Potatoes and carmelized parsnips/brussels sprouts. My friend had a leg of lamb entree - both of our entrees were $15. The portions won't blow you away, the but entrees/sides/etc. are extremely well conceived and executed. I'm having a hard time thinking of another restaurant in the city where I can get a quality entree like this for only $15.

The drink menu is also excellent - especially if you like whiskey and craft beer. The atmosphere is still a bit weird - tons of TVs, but no one really watching them.

I really hope this place sticks around with this menu and Pete in the kitchen. I know I sound like a shill for the guy, but his style of cooking really goes well with what I like in a meal.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: The Standard Pour

Post by loftguy »

WSPanic wrote:(I cannot remember the name of his last restaurant).
Just pinch your nose and say 'Peaches'.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

loftguy wrote:
WSPanic wrote:(I cannot remember the name of his last restaurant).
Just pinch your nose and say 'Peaches'.
Peanches! Thank you - that's been bothering me for a week.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I like Peterman's food also, glad he's back in a kitchen. Shame it is someone else's, but I guess that's how the business goes.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Saw him hound a customer right out of the Sour Octopus. Ah, the good old days...
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

An excellent cook, he also gave KCRag a lot of flavor. Wish he'd stop in more often.
maison rustique
Pad site
Pad site

Post by maison rustique »

Love Pete and his innovative takes on down home food. The POur has become one of our favorite places now. The food is so fabulous and the prices just can't be beat!
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

I'm still around I just have to duct tape my fingers together so it makes it harder to type. Thanks for the kind words guys.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

My family had a nice meal here the other night. I like the space,nice but casual ambience. Food very reasonably priced and we really enjoyed it. Had Trout, Shrimp & Grits, and a Filet - everyone was very pleased with their meals. Serving size is smallish but it fits the price. Service was very good with one exception- for some reason, my wife's dinner came out well before the rest and she was finished before the rest of us were served. Not a big deal for us - we were in no hurry - but it was a bit unusual.

I also liked the beer selection. First time I've seen Torn Label on tap in KC. Enjoyed it. My son had Free State - also on tap.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

I'm sorry your food came out that way, we are making many changes with the systems in place. We are trying to shake the sports bar theme and lean more towards a true gastropub. This menu was a first test to see where the market for the area is at. Next week I'm reworking the wine list to make it more friendly and affordable by bringing in new wines and increasing the bottle list. With the old menu beers were the biggest sellers now with the menu the wine sales have started to grow. We've seen a shift in customers wanting a more of dining experience. With that the retraining of the staff moving in a slightly different direction for ordering dishes will take some time on my part learning the pos system and making it work efficiently.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I had dinner with my wife here last Friday. I'm excited to say we had a fantastic experience. We live just nearby and were hoping this place would improve -and it has. The menu seemed well crafted and I have to say I wanted to try everything on it. I will definitely be back to try more.

We started with crab cakes and the naked mussels and snail. For dinner my wife had the pan fried trout and I had the twice fried chicken. Everything was spot on and reasonably priced. I was also happy to see there was a pretty good crowd in there the whole time. That had not been my experience previously. Cheers!
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Not serving Blvd Pale Ale is mind blowing.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kucer wrote:Not serving Blvd Pale Ale is mind blowing.
They have a decent Blvd selection, if I recall. Why waste a tap on something you can get anywhere? As long as they have a Pale/IPA option, I don't see the issue.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

WSPanic wrote:
kucer wrote:Not serving Blvd Pale Ale is mind blowing.
They have a decent Blvd selection, if I recall. Why waste a tap on something you can get anywhere? As long as they have a Pale/IPA option, I don't see the issue.
No Blvd Pale Ale or Wheat...taps or bottles. It's crazy....just sayin'.

It doesn't mean I won't go there...I was there Friday...will try the place again.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

"No Boulevard for you!!"
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

beautyfromashes wrote:"No Boulevard for you!!"
John McDonald would walk out if they couldn't bring him a Pale Ale!
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

Friday night was a really off night for us we were hit with a lot of walk ins...starting opentables in a few days. Made the second wave of menu changes on Monday. our $5 snack menu is working good for the bar. Brought in maybe 10 more wines to add to the list. I have no control over the beers, sorry John McDonald. When he dined at Peanches I didn't have a Blvd on the menu, had some really great MIssouri beers there though. He stuck around and ate. Starting to kill the tv's in the main room, getting great response from that. We will have the TV's in the bar area. We are trying to redefine ourselves as a restaurant and not a sports bar.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Pete, let us know when you've worked the kinks out.

I'll be honest...we had a reservation for Friday and it was clear the front of the house was lost and had given all the tables away. They wanted to stick us right by the door, so we just opted to sit at bar and eat. It became obvious the kitchen was in the weeds after waiting almost an hour for our apps and no luck. We had to bail because of a babysitter hard stop and were worried we wouldn't get entrees in time to eat.

We really want to try your food based on the great reviews thus far.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Yay, kill the TVs! Planning to stop by tonight, looking forward to trying it out.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I liked the $5 bar menu - that was a nice add-on. Also good to see the TVs off in the Dining Room.

New sign out front looks good too.