The Standard Pour

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Re: The Standard Pour

Post by Repete »

It's going to take time, most of the waiters have only work at places that were fast casual so ringing in tickets with course lines is new to them. They will sit on the ticket and ring it in right before they want it. They are dumbfounded as to why it takes times to cook stuff. The sign is awesome! I'm sorry for the Bad night kucer i wish I had a front of the house manager but that will take time also.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So my family was in town over the weekend and after hearing positive reviews on here and checking out the menu online, I made reservations for Saturday night. Sign out front: NEW MENU. We sat down and looked over the menu, which had starters, salads, a handful of burgers/sandwiches and a grand total of three entrees. Since it was Saturday at 7 we decided to stay since we were all hungry. I had a nice piece of salmon, but came with jasmine rice that tasted like instant and a dollop of inedible 'greens' that were over-salted. Another one of our group had a pesto chicken sandwich that was flavorless, and the buffalo mozzarella was thicker than the chicken.

What is this place? It seems like a bistro, but too many tvs. Not nice enough for a restaurant, and really not sure why they accept reservations. Has it changed course from the last post on here? Was really looking forward to trying Pete's cooking, but had a terrible first experience.
maison rustique
Pad site
Pad site

Post by maison rustique »

Pete is no longer there.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

What a shame. If that's the new menu/quality, I won't be going back.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

yep i'm gone, they wanted a menu for the neighborhood, gave them what they wanted and checked out.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I gave Standard Pour another shot last night. I really like what they've done with the menu.

We had a Coconut Shrimp appetizer and Jamaican Pork entree - both were excellent.

They also have a decent happy hour that goes until 7p - worth checking out.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We went a couple of weeks ago and agree completely. The food was simple but well prepared and presented. Really good cocktails served by quite the engaging bartender. Great vibe.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This place has been back and forth, but since I live down the street I also keep giving them another shot. I'd really like to see them succeed. I went about a week ago and had a pleasant experience, similar to those you all described. It doesn't knock your socks off, but they seem to have things back under control again. I hope it stays that way. For now it makes it back into the rotation.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I liked The Standard Pour OK. But it looks like it is gone and will re-open under different ownership as The Pressed Penny Tavern.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 83446.html
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We liked it OK also. Not great, but enough. Had some good cocktails and also had to chase my server from the smoking area out back when they were out of touch.

I look forward to see what transpires.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Does anyone know anything about the new owner?

The article has a very long explanation of the name but only says the new owner has 17 years in the industry but not where or in what capacity. Also not much about what the new place will be like other than cocktails and a few menu changes.

I had a couple positive visits to Standard Pour and this reads as mostly just an ownership change than a redo of it, which I'm ok with.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Apparently had a soft opening over the holiday weekend. I'm going to hold off until they post a menu.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

droopy wrote:Does anyone know anything about the new owner?

The article has a very long explanation of the name but only says the new owner has 17 years in the industry but not where or in what capacity. Also not much about what the new place will be like other than cocktails and a few menu changes.
Here's the article from Feast. Apparently, the owners of District Pour House were offered the space first, but turned it down. The guy that took it was GM at District Pour House at the time and took the opportunity.

http://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/k ... 4cee2.html