Best Breakfast

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Best Breakfast

Post by Highlander »

With everyone doing breakfast nowadays, where's the best place in KC - urban KC - to go?

We always have liked First Watch but discovered Succotash more recently. I've noticed Classic Cup on the plaza does Breakfast too. Anyway, headed to KC soon, probably be staying in a hotel rather than with relatives for once so some nice places to dine out for Breakfast would be appreciated.

Any ideas for a hotel in the Plaza area that won't break the budget?
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Best Breakfast

Post by kucer »

I like Corner Restaurant in Westport.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We're pretty regular at Genessee Royale Bistro.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

beer Kitchen
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

My most recent favorite has been Mixing Bowl Noshery on SW Blvd just southwest of Broadway, at least if you're into, "holy crap this is delicious but I should totally not eat it but I am totally going to anyway" type breakfasts. Bluestem's Sunday brunch is also excellent, a bit more refined as you might imagine, though not remotely on the level of the dinner service. Room 39 has some great breakfast/brunch stuff, too. I can second Beer Kitchen and Genessee Royale is pretty good too. Haven't tried the new Corner yet though.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

In addition to the above... Succotash (salmon spinache goat cheese egg wrap, kitchen sink, pork hash - quirky place, flippant to poor service), You Say Tomato (bfast casserole or croissant), Happy Gillis (egg heirloom blt), Farmhouse, Chez Elle (crepes). Bluebird, Sundry.

As far as best value hotel with some character on Plaza, many say Marriott Courtyard, which is really a no frills boutique in old restored Park Lane apts along Mill Creek Park. Otherwise maybe Raphael if you can get a deal, not likely during holidays.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote:In addition to the above... Succotash (salmon spinache goat cheese egg wrap, kitchen sink, pork hash - quirky place, flippant to poor service), You Say Tomato (bfast casserole or croissant), Happy Gillis (egg heirloom blt), Farmhouse, Chez Elle (crepes). Bluebird, Sundry.
Yup, pretty much this.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I would add Port Fonda on for weekends. Usually not much of a crowd early - compared to Beer Kitchen.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

All mentioned are among the best I have found. (haven't had Port Fonda's breakfast)

Among them, Bluestem is my favorite breakfast without reservation, though reservations are likely needed. Underpriced and overdelivered.

Classic Cup will be a solid walk-to option.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Affare, Webster House, Majestic, Farmhouse, Blvd Tavern, La Bodega, and Happy Gillis are on my regular downtown brunch rotation....Westport and Waldo have some good places too.
m.toast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by m.toast »

I have to give a shout out for Westport Cafe. Lemon ricotta pancakes, shrimp and grits, and croque monsieur are just a few reasons.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Ended up at the Majestic Steakhouse. Very nice breakfast/brunch. First time I've been there and was very impressed by the decor and ambience too.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Highlander wrote:Ended up at the Majestic Steakhouse. Very nice breakfast/brunch. First time I've been there and was very impressed by the decor and ambience too.
Totally agree...love taking my parents there when we go out for breakfast.