Mo's Italian Spot - 59th & Prospect

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
WSPanic
Supporter

Mo's Italian Spot - 59th & Prospect

Post by WSPanic »

I'm heading there for dinner tonight. Anyone been? Suggestions?
smh
Supporter

Re: Mo's Italian Spot - 59th & Prospect

Post by smh »

Haven't been, but I eagerly anticipate your report.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Went on Saturday.

Great Italian Beef sandwich with pretty mild hot peppers. Rivals Al's Beef in Chicago. (get it dipped) Perfect Chicago style dog, using Vienna Beef. Hand cut fries. Great family operation with caring service.

Their location worries me. This place deserves to succeed and KC is scared witless of Prospect.

Go..........
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I too had the Italian Beef - dippped - and it was really good. The fries tasted fresh and homemade as well.

My friend got the Spaghetti and Meatballs - it was really good too. Big portion - fresh sauce - handmade, quality meatballs. The dinner salads were good too.

There were two or three other tables and a few to go orders during the time we were there. Not packed, but not dead.

I think the location will be a challenge. It's just basic, well-done Italian food, but not sure how many people are going to venture outside of their comfort zone for that. I will continue to give it a shot. I'd like to try their spiedini.

It's really affordable, too. Especially considering the portions.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I've been trying to get the wife to go with me, still haven't been. The location is certainly scaring her off...she doesn't want to go at all much less for a family dinner with our 2 year old. I'll have to go on my own one of these days...
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

We'll hit it up this weekend and report back. One of the benefits of not being from here is that we ignore most of the hand-wring of natives about locations (zomg you live in kck (down the street from ku med mind you) , you must have to carry a gun all the time!!!). It allows us to venture out, except I have a mental block when it comes to going beyond 105th steet, or up north.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

When my dad was held up at gun point at a carwash on a Sunday afternoon near Lakewood in Lee's Summit, I sort of lost any sense of fright about parts of town. I have a "this is my city, bitch" mentality, and I won't let anyone take that away. My wife is imported from Topeka, and she knew of "the big 3" of Troost, Paseo, and Prospect before she even moved here. Unfortunate reality.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Had lunch there today and got the Italian beef with hot peppers. Pretty good sandwich and I agree about the fries. I'll definitely be back.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I stopped by Mo's for dinner last night based on the kcrag fanfare. It's right off 71 at 59th Street. Ordered the Spinach Tilapia to go and enjoyed a chunky mango juice at the counter while waiting.

Interesting little space, I like that it's right on Prospect with windows that face out to the street, and the owners have clearly tried to dress it up a bit in the classic Italian manner - checkered tablecloths, red/white/green lights, etc. Definitely not fancy. Could use some music - had the TV news on while I was there.

Food was surprisingly good, albeit too greasy for my taste. The spinach and parmesan crust on top of the generous slab of tilapia was really tasty. More food than I could finish, and the entree was $9.25.

I'll definitely go back and try the Italian beef and/or Italian sausage sandwiches; both were tempting but I was in the mood for something different. Seems they would whip those together very well.

Very happy to see a small mom & pop restaurant open on Prospect, hope they do OK here and get some neighborhood support.

Sad to hear that this location will likely continue to actually frighten people - it's mostly empty and right off a major highway, not much to be "scared" of...
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

We dropped by last night (5'ish cuz we're middle-aged and like to eat early and I ate my lunch at 10 and was starving). Had two italian beefs, one dipped one not (I don't like wet bread). Thought it was very good as did hubs (and he lives italian beef). Both had hot peppers, hubs said his were very hot, mine not. Fries were good as well.

There were 3 takeout customers when we arrived and we ate in. A fully kitted out cop (thigh holster, flak vest....btw, all men should wear thigh holsters, seriously) came in and got italian beef combo with sausage on it, to go. Said someone he works with told him about it and he was excited to get Chicago style beef in town.

Very homey place, I hope they do well, doesn't have the polish you'd see in restaurants in less ethnic hoods, and I'd remove the tv in the corner, but overall very good.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Had the Italian Beef (dipped, hot peppers) for lunch yesterday. Restate everything above. Delicious, fries are great, nice place, maybe turn the TV down a little. Will go back soon for the meatball sub.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

smh wrote:Had the Italian Beef (dipped, hot peppers) for lunch yesterday. Restate everything above. Delicious, fries are great, nice place, maybe turn the TV down a little. Will go back soon for the meatball sub.
Went today...same as above. Will definitely try a Chicago dog next time.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Oh man this sounds delicious. I've been missing this part of Chicago. The Beef sandwiches and hotdogs.

I can't believe people would be scared off from this place because of its location. At least people with cars. See I on the other hand, may be a little concerned making the trip down there. I would have to take the bus there... and now that could be a scene. Might come back with a story or two taking the Prospect line.

Would be a bit of a hassle too, as I'd have to make a transfer. Still, I want to go.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Demo, when I moved to downtown Kansas City from NYC, and didn't yet have a car, I took the Prospect bus line out to the Wal-Mart that used to be at Bannister Mall. I was the only white person on the bus, and I'm a very pale white person (think Anderson Cooper). Anyway, at some point, this black lady piped up and loudly said to me: "You are the whitest, white person I ever did see."

:lol:
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The Troost line went there, the Prospect also?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I was craving pasta last night and didn't have time to cook, so I swung by Mo's after work to pick up some Spaghetti/Meatballs. They are apparently closed for the entire summer. The sign said they were doing some "food tour". Not sure what that's about, but I hope it works out for them.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WAT?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I have heard the same. :(
m.toast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by m.toast »

I believe it just opened back up...
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Can confirm. I believe Eon Blue had lunch there today.