Porchfest

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3858
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Porchfest

Post by grovester » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:50 pm

Not sure of the logistics of it, but if there is a max number of porches they shouldn't spread it out. I agree, SW was a bit of a demarcation.

Hopefully they take all comers and the crowd was a bit suppressed due to the weather.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17193
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Porchfest

Post by DaveKCMO » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:37 am

brewcrew1000 wrote:Having to cross SW trafficway was kind of a pain. Maybe just have it all in roanoake next year would be better. Thought it was a little too spread out this year.
i consulted with them on that. didn't people park on the trafficway (which is totes legal on the weekend) to calm the traffic a bit? were most people crossing at valentine?

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3584
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Porchfest

Post by WSPanic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:29 am

They had a crossing guard to help at Valentine, but people were crossing 37th and 38th as well.

People (and food trucks) parked on the Trafficway did help. I was concerned about those crossings, but it was pretty easy.

I liked it better last year - but that may have a smuch to do with the weather as the layout of the event. It was still a great event this year.

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3858
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Porchfest

Post by grovester » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:14 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:Having to cross SW trafficway was kind of a pain. Maybe just have it all in roanoake next year would be better. Thought it was a little too spread out this year.
i consulted with them on that. didn't people park on the trafficway (which is totes legal on the weekend) to calm the traffic a bit? were most people crossing at valentine?
Only saw food trucks on the trafficway and they were cordoned. Was not aware of the parking availability as I avoid that road at all costs.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2457
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Porchfest

Post by kboish » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:52 pm

The PorchFest organizer is not going to put the event on this year. Doesn't want to put in the labor of love required to do it. Seems unlikely anyone will have the time to pick up the ball since it is this late in the year.

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3584
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Porchfest

Post by WSPanic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:13 pm

kboish wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:52 pm
The PorchFest organizer is not going to put the event on this year. Doesn't want to put in the labor of love required to do it. Seems unlikely anyone will have the time to pick up the ball since it is this late in the year.
That's too bad, but I get it. Seems like a lot of work goes into that one.

I thought Valentine was a great location this past year. Really worked well with the neighborhood.

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3858
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Porchfest

Post by grovester » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Someone should step up now in case she decides to not do it in 2019 as well.

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3858
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Porchfest

Post by grovester » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:09 am

Coming back.

https://www.valentineporchfestkc.com

"The Valentine Porchfest committee is looking for bands and solo artists to be a part of this year’s 2019 Valentine Porchfest Kansas City taking place on Saturday, May 18th from 12:00 - 6:00 PM."

"The event schedule will be announced on Friday, April 12, 2019."

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2423
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Porchfest

Post by brewcrew1000 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 am

Did anyone go? It seemed like it had no buzz and the weather certainly didn't help. I totally forgot about it

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3858
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Porchfest

Post by grovester » Tue May 21, 2019 10:25 am

Rain kept me away. Oddly there is another, (different) one scheduled for October?

I heard some chatter about rival porchfests.

Edit: the one last weekend was "Valentine Porchfest", the one in October is "Porchfest KC"
Last edited by grovester on Tue May 21, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2056
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Porchfest

Post by kcjak » Tue May 21, 2019 11:11 am

I saw on social media (can't remember where) that it was being rescheduled to Sunday because of the weather, but when I drove through Valentine on Saturday it looked like it was going on - food trucks, signs, people walking around. So there was probably some confusion that prevented larger attendance.

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3584
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Porchfest

Post by WSPanic » Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am

I live in Valentine, but was traveling this weekend and had to miss it. So, I'm kind of glad there is another. Not sure what the story is with the relationship between the two.

October event:
https://www.porchfestkc.com/

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Porchfest

Post by johnmatrix » Wed May 22, 2019 4:34 pm

WSPanic wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am
I live in Valentine, but was traveling this weekend and had to miss it. So, I'm kind of glad there is another. Not sure what the story is with the relationship between the two.

October event:
https://www.porchfestkc.com/
I'd love to run into youat Porchfest

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3584
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Porchfest

Post by WSPanic » Thu May 23, 2019 8:22 am

johnmatrix wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:34 pm
WSPanic wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am
I live in Valentine, but was traveling this weekend and had to miss it. So, I'm kind of glad there is another. Not sure what the story is with the relationship between the two.

October event:
https://www.porchfestkc.com/
I'd love to run into youat Porchfest
Not exactly sure how to take that, but... OK. I'm sure I'll be there.

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Porchfest

Post by johnmatrix » Thu May 23, 2019 8:47 am

WSPanic wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:22 am
johnmatrix wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:34 pm
WSPanic wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am
I live in Valentine, but was traveling this weekend and had to miss it. So, I'm kind of glad there is another. Not sure what the story is with the relationship between the two.

October event:
https://www.porchfestkc.com/
I'd love to run into youat Porchfest
Not exactly sure how to take that, but... OK. I'm sure I'll be there.
We're gonna slam old Milwaukees and hug it out.

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3584
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Porchfest

Post by WSPanic » Thu May 23, 2019 2:29 pm

OK. I'm totally down with that.

Post Reply