Replacing Mimi's Clafe

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Replacing Mimi's Clafe

Post by mgsports »

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Replacing Mimi's Clafe

Post by loftguy »

The master of understatemetn.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Strouds

Post by Highlander »

Is this place in jeopardy of watering down their appeal?

I've never been a fried chicken fan but going to Stroud's on 85th had all the hallmarks of a special occasion and I rather enjoyed the setting. With 3 restaurants and all the original ambience gone, it seems kind of ho hum. Is the place up north anything special? From the outside the building has more ambience than the one in Fairway.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Strouds

Post by bobbyhawks »

Highlander wrote:Is this place in jeopardy of watering down their appeal?

I've never been a fried chicken fan but going to Stroud's on 85th had all the hallmarks of a special occasion and I rather enjoyed the setting. With 3 restaurants and all the original ambience gone, it seems kind of ho hum. Is the place up north anything special? From the outside the building has more ambience than the one in Fairway.
The one up North is the only one left with the same rickety, one-of-a-kind appeal. Mike Donnegan looked at expansion options for years and years that fit the mold, but people caught wind that Stroud's was interested, and suddenly they were asking a lot more than the place was worth. Historically, I don't think he would have ever considered somewhere like Mimi's. The Fairway opportunity seems like it was more of a concession to find a location in a desirable area after dozens of years of searching for an expansion opportunity. Now that KC Hopps is involved, I expect to see more announcements like this one.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander wrote:Is this place in jeopardy of watering down their appeal?

Oklahoma Joe's has locations in Leawood and Olathe. So...no, I don't think it waters down the appeal much. Stroud's has had a location in Fairway for a few years now.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

bobbyhawks wrote:Now that KC Hopps is involved, I expect to see more announcements like this one.
It took 2.5 years to happen, but your prophecy has come to pass; Stroud's is expanding to Omaha, where it will replace a former Mimi's Cafe. The circle of life...continues.