kansas city restaurant/bar/brewery "cheat sheet"

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

kansas city restaurant/bar/brewery "cheat sheet"

Post by warwickland »

i don't know if this is sticky-worthy, but i thought it would be nice to have a thread - constructed for ONLY my own use of course *joking* - that succinctly listed a mix of crucial long time kansas city standards, and a mix of brand new restaurants/bars/breweries, that an expat or say, fellow urban missourian would find handy at a moments notice preceeding a visit. perhaps people could list suggestions or a NYTs style 36 Hours In... type deal and I could post them in this post.

or something.

my girlfriend has *never* been to kansas city so i'm also trying to piece together a sort of bang-up first impression type visit to kansas city. she loves beer/breweries, so that's important. i'm pretty far off my kansas city "game" these days, i havent been around in a good while.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: kansas city restaurant/bar/brewery "cheat sheet"

Post by chrizow »

the arrival of our daughter has thrown us off our KC game as well, but here is a list of what we dig in KC these days:

le fou frog (at the bar or patio, esp. happy hour - no need for a $$$ dinner, just sip drinks and get the best french fries in the city)
potpie (again, bar ideally)
grunauer (bar - bonus points for german/austrian beer selection)
rieger (bar)
aixois (BKS, patio in nice weather...feels like a vacation and cheap drinks during happy hour!)

if youre into coffee - check Oddly Correct on main and Thou Mayest next to Grinders (not open yet but soonish?).

any trip to KC should include a visit to the "upper" westside: gawk at the refurb'd victorians and Dwell cubes then retire to westside local, little freshie, novel, bluebird, los alamos, whatever. then get the other flavor of the 'hood by crushing street tacos at el pueblito on the Blvd at 1am.

may as well stop at port fonda and, beginning this friday, Ca Va down the street (the rieger-affiliated rustic champagne spot which also will have high life on tap, if that tells you anything).

might be worthwhile to do a KCK thing, like 403 Club. if your lady is into mexican eats you can soak up the delicious flavors at tortilleria san antonio, the argentine location of el camino real (which i prefer b/c it feels like some small KS railroad town over there), el pollo rey, etc. or, if it's warm (not sure when you're coming to KC) digging some taco truck action on indep. ave and enjoying the vibrant/chaotic feel of northeast.

hi-dive on w. 39th is fun if for no other reason than to do the "mystery beer" option from the vending machine. 9/10 times you'll get something vile like American Patriot Light but it's a good time. if you luck out and get a can of Santa Fe or whatever, all the better.

for breweries, i haven't been to the recent arrivals (cinder block, kc bier co., big rip).

for beer selection, the standby's are still going strong - waldo pizza, grinders, foundry, beer kitchen...i would now add Anton's to that list and Bier Station too (which has a cool selection of beers but unfortunately feels like a bar inside a convenience store). i dont know if there are others with strong lists at this point, we dont really follow the "beer scene" too much.

as far as a "bang-up" tour of KC, i think it would be best to wait for a solid weather weekend, maybe even a first friday weekend. i have found that folks new to KC like grunauer a lot, with its old-world feel in the bar and interesting beer/food. westside of course. maybe stop at the Rieger bar. anton's might make a favorable impression. Foundry patio, then maybe figure out if there is a cool DJ deal going on at mini bar or chez charlie and crush high lifes while digging soul 45s, that sort of thing. maybe late-night food at YJ's. brunch at one of the many good spots - you say tomato, YJ's again, succotash, farmhouse, etc.

a stop at local pig might be cool - and Pigwich, the sandwich truck outside. i dont know when preservation market, the westport beer shop and restaurant and food shop opens in the former america's pub space, but look out for that.

(the above is written with the assumption of nelson/kemper, union station, city market, mutual musicians foundation, etc. - the "classics")

depending on time, i'd throw lawrence into the mix as well b/c i think it's a very important addition to the broader "KC scene." bourgeois pig, 715, wheatfields, love garden, wonder fair, seed co studios, free state brewery, casbah (burgers), etc
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

thanks so much! even some of the obvious places have slipped my mind!

i'm definitely waiting for like a dry, sunny, warm-ish (is that possible this year?) late march weekend or something like that.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

aixois sounds great. great/unique outside seating situations/options highly valued!

also: *CLICHE ALERT* best outdoor people watching location for drinks on the plaza?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

warwickland wrote:aixois sounds great. great/unique outside seating situations/options highly valued!

also: *CLICHE ALERT* best outdoor people watching location for drinks on the plaza?
for outdoor seating on the plaza it's hard to beat the sidewalk patio at classic cup. gram & dun has a nice patio, and probably the most interesting drink and food menu on the plaza - but you can't really see people going by (although the people watching on the G&D patio itself is probably worthwhile).

stealth option: buy bottles of water at the jefferson st. latteland location, then sip your preferred smuggled alcoholic beverage from latteland cups while watching the scene, in particular the Capital Grille valet action (hard to get more "plaza" than old dudes walking arm in arm with their nth wife after turning over the keys to the maserati to the valet guy). cheap and fun!
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Chris got you off to a good start.

For dinning, I would add Affare, Farmhouse, Julian, Blue Stem (happy hour in the lounge if you don't want to spend the big bucks).

Manifesto for cocktails.

For coffee I would add options of Quay Coffee and Filling Station on Gillham (both serve Oddly Correct) and the classic Broadway.

If you are looking for a good time to visit in the near future, I would recommend the first weekend in April which will have the Middle of the Map fest (music portion April 3-5) as well as First Friday. Also, if you're into sports, Sporting KC (definitely worth checking out a game) and the Royals both have home games that weekend.
Last edited by KCtoBrooklyn on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

A few spots not mentioned in previous posts:

I like places called Harry's, both in Country Club (River Market) and Bar & Tables (Westport). Harry's Bar & Tables gets my vote as the best people-watching spot in KC, due to its location and giant windows.

The Reserve at the Ambassador Hotel has great food; I'm kicking myself for not going there earlier/more frequently.

With Rieger lunch going away, Affare now takes over the title of "best lunch on the 1900 block of Main".

Haus (Martini Corner) is a great away to spend a quiet afternoon with a few people, some frites, and German/Belgian beer on its patio.

The Belfry probably has the highest average tap handle quality of any bar in KC at the moment.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: If you are looking for a good time to visit in the near future, I would recommend the first weekend in April which will have the Middle of the Map fest (music portion April 3-5) as well as First Friday. Also, if you're into sports, Sporting KC (definitely worth checking out a game) and the Royals both have home games that weekend.
thanks for the reminder. this particular weekend looks like a great time to visit, if the weather is nice.

also: yeah, harry's in "downtown westport!" easy to overlook, obviously super-classic. it suddenly occurs to me that it seems like a great place to take a first-timer to kc.

i'll probably cut a large swath down through the entire river-waldo corridor. lawrence is (unfortunately) out of the running, so much to do on a weekend in kcmo.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

For the transit minded, 142 with 7 day service is a short walk away from all of them. they're all local small chains or single location places
I've ate at all of them

Smoking Guns BBQ- 12th and Swift
http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/

Paul and Jack's Tavern- 18th and Swift
http://www.paulandjacks.com/

Chappel's- Armour and Erie
http://www.chappellsrestaurant.com/

Cascone's- just south of N. Oak and NE Indianola.
http://www.cascones.com/

Smokehouse BBQ- 6304 N. Oak.
http://www.smokehousebbq.com/

Margarita's- 70th and N. Oak
http://www.margaritasamigos.com/locatio ... tas-north/

Kate's Kitchen-8002 N. Oak
it's a breakfast/brunch place and is good
http://www.kateskitchenkc.com/
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

warwickland wrote:
also: yeah, harry's in "downtown westport!" easy to overlook, obviously super-classic. it suddenly occurs to me that it seems like a great place to take a first-timer to kc.
While you're in Westport, stop by the Bunker and get your gal some KCMO gear to rock:

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... t-for-that
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Here is a nice, quick overview for a day in Kansas City:

http://elementcollective.com/2014/03/a- ... nsas-city/
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

A little late to this thread but I'll add a bit more long-winded local flavor. Some ideas -

Chrizow mentioned Union Station and the Foundation earlier, but they're both worth noting again in my personal world. The Foundation jam session starting around 12:30-1:00am (plan to end the night there is the point) is, to me, the most wonderful piece of old school KC in existence, despite management foibles over the years. Walk out as the sun comes up, it's priceless.

And Union Station is arguably my favorite spot in KC at the moment (granted, I'm a coffee shop lounger). Park in the Freighthouse (jack stack, grunauer, lydia's) lot 1 block north for free and walk across the awesome pedestrian bridge. Excellent coffee and people watching at Parisi Cafe ("patio" roped off in the grand hall). Pierponts offers a quality happy hour (all day sat, I think, but they open at 4) in the most beautiful drinking room in the city IMO. Happy hour oysters are where it's at. And mediocre brunch but great atmosphere (grand hall) at Harveys.

Green Lady Lounge is an awesome newish (noirish? yes) jazz joint on Grand. Very KC 1920's dark speakeasy kind of vibe, and some good live jazz.

Genesee Royale is a great lunch/brunch spot in the West Bottoms (my favorite burger in the city, on an english muffin), and you can hit the awesome Amigoni winery tasting room next door in the beautifully renovated Telegraph building. It's a great saturday afternoon combo and got me started on my Missouri Wine Passport, jumping around to wineries all across the state as a true Pan-Missourian should. However, no activity nearby, pedestrian or otherwise.

I second Port Fonda and the "new westport" and would add Westport Cafe for brunch or dinner. Ca Va is a nice new addition though very small - absinthe and champagne cocktails are addictive. If the lady is into beer Bridger's "sounds" amazing and should now be open but I haven't yet been.

Minibar late night DJs/hipster scene is great. $2 mystery shots are always fun.

39th is quietly blowing up a bit and worth checking out, lot of new additions (Hi-Dive is good call) plus old classics like my favorite Po's Dumpling Bar - some of the best Chinese food and noodles around IMO, and the nicest owners. Milling around the Roanoke/valentine 'hood is always enjoyable, and you can work your way down to southwest boulevard via the scenic route - old brick roanoke road.

On the boulevard, Roasterie Coffee HQ with the DC-10 on top. Tours, tasting, or just a nice large Roasterie Cafe. Very close to BLVD brewery, which I assume is a given.

RE: Plaza: Gram & Dunn (pig wings and Smokin' Dunn!) for lunch/dinner or Classic Cup patio (front) for Sunday Brunch. Check out the trendy Baldwin store and get a famous "K-C" hat; incidentally I saw one at Nacho Mama's on Manchester last weekend, you could make two in STL. Eden Alley has good vegetarian food, a nice enough patio (for brunch/lunch) and to me is uniquely KC, seeing as it's in the basement of a loving hippie church whose core religion was founded, and is based in KC (Lee's Summit - Unity Village). Niche appeal though.

A walk or drive around the West Plaza hills (maybe on the way to Okie Joes/Taco Republic, or a quick coffee at tiny Hi-Hat) is never a bad idea. Love the rolling topography and modern infill in that area.

Brunch at Cafe Sebastienne at the Kemper is fantastic, and kind of a hidden gem just off the plaza.

A couple new breweries: Cinder Block is quite good, has a couple interesting ciders and is next door to a bunch of NKC dive bars (favorite - the adjacent river aces). Bring your own food in if you want. It's also very near Big Rip Brewing, which I haven't tried, though have heard is basically a tiny single tasting room. Both a very short hop across the river on MO-9 from downtown. Shit, while you're up there check out Chappell's sports bar/museum. TONS of vintage sports stuff, truly an odd little mini-museum. Walking distance from Cinder.

I've heard good things about the Green Room in westport (MO's smallest brewery!), but haven't been yet.

KC Bier Co. in waldo has very high quality German style beers but is in a weird (bad) location and has a bit of a generic vibe all around. None of the microbreweries in KC that I've been to are overall up to the level of the Big 4 in STL, yet. Not quite a brewery but Bier Station is quality if you end up in Brookside/waldo. Drink from the giant cooler or the tap, go home with beer. Lots of options, all about the beer, nice folks.

Dark Horse Distillery in Lenexa (I know..) looks interesting and high-dollar but I've not yet been. They make a pretty decent Rye Whiskey (amongst others) that you can find all over town.

Sporting KC game? The city is wild about the team, and I am trying to get on the bandwagon despite my general malaise toward the sport. The drive sucks though, for sure.

Novel on the Westside makes for a wonderful date night, with excellent food/drink in an old house. Walking the nabe is highly encouraged - this is what a KC hood can/should look like given the moneyz and desire; apts and sf homes, front porches, lots of garden/greenspace, ultra-modern infill, some neat retail and walking distance to major node (downtown, plaza, westport). C'mon South Hyde Park, pick it up!

I'll also second Grunauer. Old-world (and old KC - architectural salvage) atmosphere, nice beer garden, very good food and interesting Euro beers and cocktails. Ask to say hi to Nick (Grunauer) as well, he's a good guy and KC ambassador.

Finally, if at all possible, make it through the Bloch Building at the Nelson (free, plus you can do lunch or wine at Rozelle Court) and/or catch something at the Kauffman Center. They really are two amazing structures that make the new Chipperfield addition to SLAM seem so underwhelming (no hate!). To me, they are a physical representation of the cultural resurgence of the city.
Last edited by rxlexi on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

Great advice, all around.
My two cents…

If you’re in the loop downtown, you can’t do much better than Milwaukee Delicatessen. Sit up stairs, or next to one of the huge storefront windows and order a slice of pizza (just one, they’re huge) and a beer.
OF COURSE, go to the Bloch addition at the Nelson, if you haven’t been. Take a walk north to see some great residential architecture as well. And, speaking of Bloch, sneak into the new UMKC Bloch School on Cherry street for a stellar atrium space and bad-ass “skylights”.

And, for something completely different, stop in to Bichelmeyer Meats off 7th street trafficway in KCK on a Saturday for some of the best authentic street tacos you can get.

Last of all, go see a bunch of rich people houses in Mission Hills…in and around 55th street. My STL friends loved the tour I gave them of this neighborhood. Another great street to check out is Jensen Place in Central Hyde Park…and the immediate N-S steets on either side. Also, if you’re in Westside, don’t miss the most recently constructed modern homes off Madison Street, just south of 17th.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

thx guys!
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

okay ...definitely visiting memorial day weekend, catching a cards/royals game. staying on the plaza...anyone know how much a cab ride between kauffman and the plaza? are there lots of cabs at kauffman after games? i havent been in *at least* ten years except for a rainout a few years ago.

big gameday shuttles from plaza area bars back and forth? that would be preferable.

i havent properly visited kc in so long!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Uber is likely cheaper than cab or take 47 bus from Plaza to stadium.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/On+JC+N ... 631380!3e3
Last edited by earthling on Mon May 11, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

we like to have a few beers at baseball games...and hate driving after sporting events anyway. just saw this on the royals site...i could take an uber or bus over and a cab back i guess.

"Cabs are available on Lancer Lane between Gates A and B and also on Red Coat Drive between Gates D and E after games conclude on a first-come first-serve basis. Guests may go to Guest Services to order a cab as well."
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Uber works really well throughout KC, though I've never taken to the K. Seems like a decent idea to Uber there with something good to drink and cab back. Maybe check out the new Crafts and Drafts section - I haven't been but have heard good things.

RE: your beer interest from another thread - the brewery boom in the east Crossroads hasn't quite reached fruition, as Double Shift and Emperial are not yet open and Torn Label doesn't have it's tap room open yet. Nor is Stockyards in the Bottoms open yet.

However, you can still drink the delicious Torn Label beers at Thou Mayest, and check out Cinder Block (NKC), Border, KC Bier Co. I still think Cinder Block and Smokin Guns burnt ends with roof top patio in NKC is a deadly combo.

Possibly check out The Ship in the West Bottoms for an interesting, very KC experience, not sure if that was listed above.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Add Big Rip in NKC when beer bound.

I so badly want to like Smokin Guns (as they were previously among the best), but 3 of the last 3 outings every food item served struggled to be called anything other than average.