Green Lady Lounge

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Green Lady Lounge

Post by kboish »

Some one told me they went to a new years eve party at a place called "The Blue Lady" or something and described it as a "jazz bar". They were out of towners and so couldn't be sure where it was, but they said it was around 18th and Grand (i'm assuming they weren't way off and thinking of The Blue Room...but its possible). Sounded like Balancas old spot b/c of the way they described it. Anyone know if this is open yet or was this just a NYE party?
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Anyone know what is going on with Balancas?

Post by scooterj »

The former owner of Balanca's now owns Norm & Betty's on 23rd Street in Independence. She's only had it a few weeks so it's too early to say how far she'll go with Balancalizing the place, but she has had DJs in a few times already which is probably a bit of a change from how it was previously.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

ah yes, thanks!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

They had Miles Bonny and Eddie Moore playing on NYE, so they are doing acts that are more than just solo piano.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Anyone had a chance to check this place out? I went last Wed and had a great time. Wasn't terribly crowded, but they had a jazz trio (piano, drum, base) - no cover. Drink menu was a little pricey ($10 feature cocktails) - also had a great beer selection. I think cans of Tallgrass were $5 - also had Blvd Coffee on tap. I saw a few sausage/cheese trays, and someone was eating a piece of carrot cake. Don't think their menu is much more than that.

Heard from some friends that went around 8p on first friday that it was absolutely packed.

Regardless, it's great to have a live music venue like this around. Would love it if KC had more.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I've been a few times and really enjoy the place. I agree KC could use more of these lounge style places. My friends and I have made this place followed by Kill Devil into a nice 1-2 combo of an evening several times.

I've only been on the weekends, but it has always had a nice draw. Never felt too crowded- just comfortably full with an easy going crowd.

The menu is delivered by the girl who does The Good You food truck. Nothing extensive, but everything I've had has been great.

BTW mods, we should probably go ahead and relabel this thread "Green Lady Lounge"
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kboish wrote:I've been a few times and really enjoy the place. I agree KC could use more of these lounge style places. My friends and I have made this place followed by Kill Devil into a nice 1-2 combo of an evening several times.

I've only been on the weekends, but it has always had a nice draw. Never felt too crowded- just comfortably full with an easy going crowd.

The menu is delivered by the girl who does The Good You food truck. Nothing extensive, but everything I've had has been great.

BTW mods, we should probably go ahead and relabel this thread "Green Lady Lounge"
I read somewhere that "The Good You" girl also does the kitchen at The Point. Is that still true?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

^ I am guessing so only b/c I just looked at her facebook page and she is continually listed deals and specials there.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Good You had some sort of quality control or branding issue or something with the Green Lady, and they are not doing food there any more.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Partook of Green Lady Lounge for happy hour. Nice vibe. My date thought she remembered it being a strip joint when she was closing down banks way back when. Look forward to a late night visit.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Green Lady Lounge

Post by loftguy »

Who's got the scoop?

I'm told that the Green Lady has sold the piano and that the owner (a new one?) is changing the format.

So, yes/no? Is it as nuts as it seems?

Is John Scott out of the picture?

All is second, or third hand to me thus far..........
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I could see them having a format of the day thing but it's best suited for jazz on weekends. The swanky feel of the place is amazing. I hope they can make it work. Whatever they do, they need to be consistent about which format on what days.

Would like to see the basement used, maybe as a separate operating bar. KC can't have too many speakeasy type bars.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

From the Green Lady's Facebook post yesterday:
Green Lady Lounge is and always will be a Kansas City Jazz Club.
Given the number of times I've seen pianists bring their own keyboards in, the piano might not be a great loss.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

auntbigdog wrote:From the Green Lady's Facebook post yesterday:
Green Lady Lounge is and always will be a Kansas City Jazz Club.
Given the number of times I've seen pianists bring their own keyboards in, the piano might not be a great loss.
Thanks ABD and welcome to Ragland.....
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Green Lady Lounge was called Tip Top Cafe in 1940.

(posted today on Vine Street Rumble -- Facebook).
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

sad to see the building next to it didn't survive.