Orange Box

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Orange Box

Post by DiggityDawg »

brewcrew1000 wrote:There is a nice commercial property for sale on the Corner of 34th and Baltimore. I think it would make a great little restaurant or some kind of market. Back in the day it use to be a Grocery Store

I think the price is kind of high
http://www.trulia.com/property/31043112 ... y-MO-64111
I live right around there. That place has been sold a couple of times in the time I've lived here ( since '95 ).

I agree on the price.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Orange Box now doing fish tacos every day along with tenderloin - had it today and great as always. He said pulled pork may be added to daily menu as well. Steak cubano sandwich and curry chicken salad sandwich are specials today along with a couple others.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I had the Steak Cubano yesterday and it was really good. It's really just a steak sandwich with peppers/cheese. The bread is what you would expect from a Cuban. There isn't any ham or pork.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The facebook page is saying a 2nd South Location is coming soon. Not really sure where and they aren't giving any clues.
foodsnobnot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by foodsnobnot »

Tried to eat there Saturday. Pulled up 11am, right when they should have been opening, doors locked and lights off. Wandered down the street and came back 30min later, the same. Have never been before so was excited to try it. What went wrong?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^The hours are weird, they don't do Saturday Brunch anymore and I believe they stop Evening Weekday Dinner service as well. They are basically just a M-F lunch and one Evening Weekend dinner for the hours
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Their customer base is basically the weekday work crowd for some reason. They could probably have expanded hours if in a better location.
foodsnobnot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by foodsnobnot »

Time to update the hours on their website, facebook, yelp, on the building.... :)

They could have done great business Saturday with the Boulevard garage sale going on. The Roasterie was packed, and not even sure much of that came from Boulevard.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I just looked at Orange Box Facebook Page and it says Brunch is returning June 15th for the summer.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Seems like they do a ton of DST lunch business during the week. Lots of badges whenever I go in there. Also get a lot of police business over lunch.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Orange Box is moving 'downtown' according to owner. Didn't get the location. Current one is closed - their page says on vacation.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

They better get more consistent hours wise or they'll never make it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The new location apparently isn't set yet, so might have been a 'hopeful' statement. I do hope he can pull it off, am jones'n for his version of a fish taco.

What I like most is he'll take anything ordinary and not do traditionally, will put his own zesty spin on it - massively. And the variety of cold sides cannot be found with that quality (watermelon with basil/feta, perfectly ripe kiwi/fruit blends, complex potato salads with above avg grade cheeses, fresh dill, etc.) - not sure how he can economically pull off what he does at the fairly low price he charges.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This blow, I loved that location.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looking at the pitch comments looks like the owner wrote bad checks. I don't know if he will ever reopen. I don't get why he bothered to expand and remodel the inside of that building if he didn't think it would last.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Looking at the pitch comments looks like the owner wrote bad checks. I don't know if he will ever reopen. I don't get why he bothered to expand and remodel the inside of that building if he didn't think it would last.
This got me curious, so I looked him up on casenet. Results don't look conducive to reopening soon.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

longviewmo wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:Looking at the pitch comments looks like the owner wrote bad checks. I don't know if he will ever reopen. I don't get why he bothered to expand and remodel the inside of that building if he didn't think it would last.
This got me curious, so I looked him up on casenet. Results don't look conducive to reopening soon.
What'd you see on Casenet? I'm only seeing a $2,000 tax lien. Pocket change!
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

The Unlawful Detainer makes it sound like he was either kicked out of his house or the restaurant space.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I loved the guy and I loved the food, but that was a truly difficult location.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hope to see him work it out. The downtown move sounded optimistic. Many creative people are often not the best business people. He was doing huge portions with some pretty complex items. Most restaurants take shortcuts to make the business side work, he didn't and may have paid for it. And the location was maybe too off beaten path.

BTW, he conjured up a bacon lettuce heirloom tomato carved turkey sammy called the Blattmos, with zesty sauce. Google it and it goes to his page.