The News Room, closed

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The News Room, closed

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KCMax wrote:How cliche, ANOTHER gay sports bar?
Just waiting for the Bread and Butter Concepts ripoff...
:lol: =D>
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

kucer wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:It was really strange, but "Vandals" has been around for a while, though concerts were something like "Vandals at Black and Gold Tavern presents..." It made pretty much no sense to have an overtly college themed bar geared towards a punk crowd. It may have been a liquor license thing as with Local Pig/Bridgers.
Black and Gold Tavern finally submitted to the fact that KC is really a KU city. Doomed from the start. :-D
i fondly remember the news room and remember seeing shows there, and sort of rolled my eyes when i saw that it was going to be a MIZZOU BAR. that being said, what would you say the KU/MU split is in KC?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

that being said, what would you say the KU/MU split is in KC?
Depends very much on which part of the region. I would estimate that anywhere north of the river and the eastern burbs (Independence, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, etc.) are heavily MU biased, while all of JoCo and points south and west are entirely KU dominated. Closer to the core of the region and particularly the "favored quarter" type areas (west of Troost, east of OP), I'd say it's a pretty heavy KU bias, maybe 60/40 or 70/30 ish?

There are a number of K-Staters out there too that I sort of factor into the MU number in my head.

Just my opinion on the above based on anecdote and experience, no hard numbers whatsoever.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

rxlexi wrote:
Depends very much on which part of the region. I would estimate that anywhere north of the river and the eastern burbs (Independence, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, etc.) are heavily MU biased, while all of JoCo and points south and west are entirely KU dominated. Closer to the core of the region and particularly the "favored quarter" type areas (west of Troost, east of OP), I'd say it's a pretty heavy KU bias, maybe 60/40 or 70/30 ish?

There are a number of K-Staters out there too that I sort of factor into the MU number in my head.

Just my opinion on the above based on anecdote and experience, no hard numbers whatsoever.
probably depends on the time of year and performance of the teams, the bandwagon kU bball fans are quiet during football season (or Nebraska fans are quiet after football season ends), Mizzou fans have been quiet since football season ended, Johny's Tavern in P&L district in Lawrence isn't overtly kU themed despite coming from Lawrence, Harpo's in Westport isn't overtly Mizzou themed despite coming from Columbia, Notre Dame has a bandwagon catholic fan base that is vocal when they were a national power when is less vocal now, a Mizzou themed bar would probably do better father away from Kansas
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

rxlexi wrote:

Pretty much spot on. Though Missouri's recent football success has certainly enlivened the fanbase, especially in the Missouri-side suburbs and Northland.

And for the record: there are not really "bandwagon" KU fans. That's not what "bandwagon fans" means.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

chingon wrote:
rxlexi wrote:

Pretty much spot on. Though Missouri's recent football success has certainly enlivened the fanbase, especially in the Missouri-side suburbs and Northland.

And for the record: there are not really "bandwagon" KU fans. That's not what "bandwagon fans" means.
the bandwagon kU bball fans are bandwagon fans of another team during football season
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

pstokely wrote:
the bandwagon kU bball fans are bandwagon fans of another team during football season
That team is called "the Chiefs".

And I'm now pretty much sure you really don't know what "bandwagon" means.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

rxlexi wrote:

I've never noticed a big Mizzou football following in KCMo and the Missouri burbs. I am sure it's there but its nothing close to the Kansas basketball following in the KS burbs and even in KCMO proper. My view is that if a city has a professional sports team, college sports take a very distant backseat with alumni being responsible for almost all of the interest. I grew up a Mizzou basketball fan - but never much of a Mizzou football fan - there was always the Chiefs and they were first and foremost.

You'd think college football would be huge in a place like Houston Texas but they really are not - the Texans and Cowboys rule all down here. If there is a workplace discussion, it's almost exclusively about the pro teams.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Highlander wrote:
rxlexi wrote:

I've never noticed a big Mizzou football following in KCMo and the Missouri burbs. I am sure it's there but its nothing close to the Kansas basketball following in the KS burbs and even in KCMO proper. My view is that if a city has a professional sports team, college sports take a very distant backseat and are generally followed by alumni. I grew up a Mizzou basketball fan - but never much of a Mizzou football fan - there was always the Chiefs and they were first and foremost.

You'd think college football would be huge in a place like Houston Texas but they really are not - the Texans and Cowboys rule all down here. If there is a workplace discussion, it's almost exclusively about the pro teams.
in Atlanta, locals are more into the SEC than the NFL, transplants don't follow the Falcons, if an NBA team ever comes to the Sprint Center it might have trouble competing with kU (and Mizzou/Kstate when they're playing good), the college football fanbase in TX is fractured but they're all still paying for the bevo channel if they subscribe to cable, the Mizzou Bball program fell when football rose (thanks to Mike Alden), I guess you grew up during the dark years of Mizzou football (most of the 80s and 90s)
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Highlander wrote:
rxlexi wrote:

I've never noticed a big Mizzou football following in KCMo and the Missouri burbs. I am sure it's there but its nothing close to the Kansas basketball following in the KS burbs and even in KCMO proper. My view is that if a city has a professional sports team, college sports take a very distant backseat with alumni being responsible for almost all of the interest. I grew up a Mizzou basketball fan - but never much of a Mizzou football fan - there was always the Chiefs and they were first and foremost.

Mizzou isn't a one sport school like kU (though it may become one), you'll likely find more dual non-alum Mizzou football/basketball fans than you are dual non-alum kU basketball-fans
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

pstokely wrote:Mizzou isn't a one sport school like kU (though it may become one), you'll likely find more dual non-alum Mizzou football/basketball fans than you are dual non-alum kU basketball-fans
You do realize your credibility to weigh in on this is greatly diminished every time you go out of your way to spell "kU" out like a middle school student would, don't you?