Huddle House opens on Monday get your 24 fix ready

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Huddle House opens on Monday get your 24 fix ready

Post by loftguy »

Thanks, MG.

Now I can get some grits and redeye gravy at 3:00am.

Regarding Pieroguys, be warned Philidelphia. We're sending you a stinker.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm glad it's not just me. I've bought those damn things twice now, and both times have been utterly disappointed.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mean wrote:I'm glad it's not just me. I've bought those damn things twice now, and both times have been utterly disappointed.
I tasted the product once and felt the need to apologize to my Ukrainian friends.

I was refering to the head dude in charge. He's a case and a half. Just a warning to friends.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

The Atlanta-based Huddle House has opened its first area location in Westport, and more are planned.

Huddle House, at 3959 Broadway, is a 24-hour, 7-day a week operation serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Menu items include the Southern Smothered Biscuit Platter (open-faced biscuit with two sausage patties, hash browns, sausage gravy, cheddar cheese and two scrambled eggs), Philly Cheese Steak Omelet, French toast, breakfast melt sandwiches, waffles, the Triple Huddle Burger (three beef patties and two slices of American cheese), taco salad, grilled chicken salad, chili, and dinner platters — country fried steak, a rib eye, pulled smoked pork and grilled chicken.

Huddle House was founded in 1964. The owner came up with the name after he saw a boy “huddled” with friends following football practice. They were talking and laughing together, and he decided Huddle House would be a good name for a place where people could gather over a meal to do the same. The Westport restaurant even has “Huddle in the House” booths holding six or eight people.

Ahmed Abu-Namous, the area franchisee, plans at least two more restaurants in Independence and Lee’s Summit, one scheduled to open in 2013 and the other in 2014. But no locations have been selected yet.

“They are very famous in the South, and we needed to bring these to Kansas City,” Abu-Namous said.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/17/39 ... rylink=cpy
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looking at reviews, this Huddle House place sounds awful,the menu looks horrid. Its like a crappier Waffle House and a complete waffle house ripoff.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

i ate there the afternoon of the first day. denny's. no character. belongs out in beige county, not in westport.

digression: i had eggs and hash browns. hash browns were dehydrated / rehydrated, like at waffle house. i can imagine the multiple industrial processes involved: dig up potatoes, peel mechanically, chop or slice and dehydrate to make potato flour, add liquid to make a thick potato paste, extrude into noodle-like strands, cut into 1-inch lengths, dehydrate, package, send to warehouse, ship to restaurant, soak in water to rehydrate, put on grille, serve to customer. the only good thing i can say about such potatoes is that they require little energy while in storage, unlike frozen.

maybe it's not fair to judge a place on just one menu item, but really....
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I've had Huddle House once...in a truckstop..in Salina KS. Never plan on returning.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Personally, I welcome almost anything coming into the city that's open 24 hours. It's needed.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

enough wrote:i ate there the afternoon of the first day. denny's. no character. belongs out in beige county, not in westport.

digression: i had eggs and hash browns. hash browns were dehydrated / rehydrated, like at waffle house.

maybe it's not fair to judge a place on just one menu item, but really....
I think anyone expecting anything outside of the average Waffle House experience from this place is going to be disappointed.

IMO, the average Waffle House would still be an improvement on Chubby's.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Reports this place was robbed this morning.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Did this place close or hours change. It was dark at 730pm today
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

I had a burger and fries there during lunch a few months back. The place was almost deserted and the food was terrible (and I am easy to please).
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Did this place close or hours change. It was dark at 730pm today
Flooded.

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... ll-re-open
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Glad to see the guy convert a down and out building into restaurant space but maybe now is the time to dump Huddle House and just make it an independent diner. It couldn't possibly be worse. Westport could use a Latin American type bfast place like Poco's or some kind of ethnic fusion yet simple counter diner.