High Dive on 39th

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

High Dive on 39th

Post by dangerboy »

The old Minsky's on 39th is being remodeled right now. The neighborhood Facebook group mentioned "High Dive Bar & Grill" - anyone know more?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: High Dive on 39th

Post by heatherkay »

What's the neighborhood group called on Facebook? I get updates from the W 39th Street page, but I didn't see anything there.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I like the name and good to see something replacing the worst of the Minsky's locations - that one was particularly bad.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

I've heard some things about this. I think it's from one of the owners of Tower Tavern at Martini Corner.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

earthling wrote:I like the name and good to see something replacing the worst of the Minsky's locations - that one was particularly bad.
It was a franchise with a different owner and different menu than the rest of the chain. At the end it lost the franchise and operated as 39th Street Pizza, then the oven broke down and they gave up.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

earthling wrote:I like the name and good to see something replacing the worst of the Minsky's locations - that one was particularly bad.
I lived across the street from there for 10 years and used to sit on my balcony and watch all kinds of outrageous shit go on outside that place, mostly drug deals, late night drunken debauchery and fights. I kept a pea shooter up there to mess with the really stupid ones. Much better than TV, I tell ya.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

They've taken down the boards that were over the front of the building, revealing a pretty nice little patio. Looking good so far.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I hear that there is some sort of courtyard in back as well.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

what does kc now have bars copying names off of denver bars like st lquis has spots named the same as spots in chicqgo ?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

but hey, its spelled different...
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

warwickland wrote:what does kc now have bars copying names off of denver bars like st lquis has spots named the same as spots in chicqgo ?

Portland also has a bar by the same name. We must be copying the copy of High Dive.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

To be fair, calling a pseudo dive bar "the High Dive" is not super original. Could be an example of convergent evolution rather than outright plagiarism.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Naming a bar cleverly is probably like naming a band cleverly. A quick internet search reveals that you aren't as clever as you initially thought. At least bars don't have High School kids to contend with.

By the way, I call dibs on the bar/restaurant name "The Cleverly."
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

bobbyhawks wrote:Naming a bar cleverly is probably like naming a band cleverly. A quick internet search reveals that you aren't as clever as you initially thought. At least bars don't have High School kids to contend with.

By the way, I call dibs on the bar/restaurant name "The Cleverly."
Unless the band The Cleverly's decides to open one first. Or Tom Cleverley of Manchester United.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Looked like High Dive was open for business last night.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

stopped by the High Dive for a drink last weekend, and then for dinner and a beer last night (they were open during the "blizzard"!). I'm really enjoying this place; a nice mix of Westport and Brookside vibes. You've got your cheap yard beers (complete with a giant canned beer dispenser behind the bar), and then a variety of decent microbrews and affordable food with a bit of ambition. Nice enough inside, maybe a few too many TVs, but it's a great size and feels welcoming.

Last night I had the corned-beef sandwich, gf had the short rib tacos. Both were quite tasty, better than expected. Paired up with Yeti Imperial Stout it was a hearty winter meal.

This is the kind of place I wish was located at the end of my street.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

And I'm super late with this really fascinating information, but this Minsky's was not actually part of the Minsky's family. For quite some time, the real Minsky's chain had a disclaimer on their website saying that this location was the failed result of a franchise and they are allowed to use the Minsky's name, however they do not use any of the real Minsky's recipes. They denounced the location and made it clear that they wouldn't accept eachothers giftcards and whatnot. It was an entertaining read.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Stopped in for a couple of beers last night, wish I'd gotten dinner as well (the guy next to me at the bar was eating an amazing looking porkchop). I had a couple of Deschutes Mirror Ponds for $4.50 each. Good selection of beers on tap and in bottles, and both yard beers and craft beers in cans. Top shelf liquor (scotch at least). Barely recognizable as the same place, and the bartender had a couple of scary stories about what they found while they were doing renovations. This place is going to make a million dollars, especially once the weather gets nice and the patio opens.

cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Ran into a friend of ours that bartends Mondays at the Hi/Dive, so Nancy and I tried it last night. We had the short rib tacos and some chicken wings. Another person at the bar was having the corned beef sandwich and said it was great. Our food was very tasty and the selection of beers is very diverse. They seem to cover both ends of the beer world, as Jessica said, the Hi level stuff and the dive kinda of beers. Hence the name Hi/Dive. They are building a patio out back that will increase the seating quite a bit. All and all a nice spot.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Not over-done like all the other retro-fitted, jive-ass, fake old bars/curated spots popping up, however some over at Yelp disagree. One thing that's unfortunate is the 6 or 7 flatscreens, but that's the suburban influence.
Decent bar.