Local microdistilleries

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Local microdistilleries

Post by swid »

I did the J. Rieger & Co tour on Saturday; it's a great tour and way to spend a couple hours in the East Bottoms. From how smooth the experience was, you'd swear that Andy and Ryan had been giving tours of the place for years. :-)

I'd love to see the Heim building redeveloped along the lines of The Source in Denver.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We did the tour today, fun and informative. Both those guys are talented. They were actually distilling! First batches should be on the shelves in 4 to 6 years. Nice little niche there with Knuckleheads, Local Pig, Urban Provisions and Rieger. One more watering hole and East Bottoms denizens should see their property values start to creep upwards. Oh, and the cheese steak at the Pig is fantastic.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:One more watering hole and East Bottoms denizens should see their property values start to creep upwards.
they probably don't want that to happen. just a hunch.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

swid wrote:I did the J. Rieger & Co tour on Saturday; it's a great tour and way to spend a couple hours in the East Bottoms. From how smooth the experience was, you'd swear that Andy and Ryan had been giving tours of the place for years. :-)

I'd love to see the Heim building redeveloped along the lines of The Source in Denver.
It looks like I'll to have my wish granted: http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/in-the- ... lText=true
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I was just told about another new distillery in KC called Wicket & Peg. It appears they already have bourbon at a handful of local shops.

Has anyone heard about this stuff before?
http://wicketandpeg.com/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ampersand & croquet references? ugh.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I have. Verdict: delicious.

It has a more pronounced juniper flavor than the big-brand gins, so I'm sure some people will like it more as a cocktail component instead of sipping it on its own or in a G&T.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:ampersand & croquet references? ugh.
You should start a business called "Ampersand & Croquet". Doesn't matter what the business is. Just make sure the logo is a big X with some letters and ancillarily related, glorified clip art images in it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

new opening date for tom's town is jan. 6.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I was catching up on a few missed podcasts today, and it looks like J. Rieger Kansas City Whiskey got a mention and full review in the internationally popular WhiskyCast podcast with Mark Gillespie. He rated their flagship product at a 93, which is in my mind a pretty terrific rating for a new brand. His parting comment about the company was that the original sourced product will be very difficult to live up to, which can be taken a number of different ways. On one hand, he's saying they did a great job of blending a recipe from MGP/whatever sources. On the other, making whiskey on your own is really hard, and not everyone is going to replicate even what MGP did. Pretty great to hear of a local company reviewed at all, and congrats on the nice rating!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Tom's Town Distillery opens tomorrow (1/6), I think.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WSPanic wrote:Tom's Town Distillery opens tomorrow (1/6), I think.
they've actually been open since new year's eve (they got their liquor license early).