Open Fire Wood Burning Pizza - 3950 Broadway

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
WSPanic
Supporter

Open Fire Wood Burning Pizza - 3950 Broadway

Post by WSPanic »

Anyone been? It's a pretty big space - across from the BP on Broadway in Westport. Glad to see something different in that area. Hoping to stop by this weekend.

http://openfirepizza.com/

Website could use some work, but I do at least like the nod to sustainability and community...

MAKING A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON OUR COMMUNITY…

FRESHEST INGREDIENTS
LOCAL,ORGANIC, GLUTEN FREE (WHEN AVAILABLE)
ARTIST GALLERY & STUDIO SPACE
ART SHOWS
OPEN MIC PERFORMANCES & CONCERTS

…WHILE MAKING A MINIMAL IMPACT ON OUR ENVIRONMENT

ROOFTOP SOLAR PANELS
LED LIGHTING
WOOD-BURNING OVENS
ZERO TRASH FACILITY
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Open Fire Wood Burning Pizza - 3950 Broadway

Post by beautyfromashes »

I went the first or second night. The place is HUGE! in a bad way. They need to find a way to break up the space because it feels so empty even when there were people in there. They could have turned the building into two seperate restaurants and it still would feel large. Also, it's a little weird that they didn't have plates. They serve the pizza on pie pans, which is fine if you have a slice but if you're ordering a whole pizza for group you need plates. The pizza was just good. I hope the place does well and I'm sure we will go back to see how things are going in a few weeks.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

I went here on Wednesday. Interesting place. New owners.

Yes dreams do come true, after many months of hard work in the Art Closet Educational center we got the opportunity to take over the Open Fire Pizza in the front of the building. For us this was very exciting news; we felt pretty strongly that if we could create an environment to unite our community through some common denominators, i.e. “food” we might have a platform to present our educational programs to the community and create a self sustaining source of revenue to keep it all going.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, the place is outrageously huge, could be split up into 3 restaurants. Haven't tried since new owners but the original was pretty plain tasting no matter what you put on it. And lowly iceberg lettuce salad. For $7 combo was OK but not decent enough to go back. Will have to try with new owners, see if any better.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:Yeah, the place is outrageously huge, could be split up into 3 restaurants. Haven't tried since new owners but the original was pretty plain tasting no matter what you put on it. And lowly iceberg lettuce salad. For $7 combo was OK but not decent enough to go back. Will have to try with new owners, see if any better.
The menu notes they are now using products from Broadway Butcher. So that's something.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, looks like an upgrade.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

I'll have to give them a 2nd shot. Went there last Summer - the pizza was fine, but the soup tasted like Campbells.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

WSPanic wrote:Anyone been? It's a pretty big space - across from the BP on Broadway in Westport. Glad to see something different in that area. Hoping to stop by this weekend.

Website could use some work, but I do at least like the nod to sustainability and community...

MAKING A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON OUR COMMUNITY…

FRESHEST INGREDIENTS
LOCAL,ORGANIC, GLUTEN FREE (WHEN AVAILABLE)
ARTIST GALLERY & STUDIO SPACE
ART SHOWS
OPEN MIC PERFORMANCES & CONCERTS

…WHILE MAKING A MINIMAL IMPACT ON OUR ENVIRONMENT

ROOFTOP SOLAR PANELS
LED LIGHTING
WOOD-BURNING OVENS
ZERO TRASH FACILITY

I LIKE THEIR DEDICATION TO SUSTAINABILITY. REALLY LIKE THAT 39TH AND BROADWAY HAS BEEN A HOTSPOT FOR DEVELOPMENT LATELY. LONG THOUGHT IT WAS PRIME REAL-ESTATE.

Vimeo: Open Fire Pizza + Art Closet Studios in Kansas City - BUY PIZZA SUPPORT ART

http://vimeo.com/58149923
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Closed, I'm suprised it lasted that long, that location is so huge, I don't even know if a breasturant like Twin Peaks would survive at that location.

Also, wasn't this area suppose to have some kind of mixed use apartment complex, Huddle House and this pizza place were kind of the first phase, Not sure if the apartments will happen
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That place could be divided into 4 retail/restaurant spots. Not surprised, the pizza was not all that good either. Huddle House was a huge mistake, much worse than Waffle House and chains don't go over well in Westport anyway.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This whole little development has turned into a mistake, the initial investor was some kind of doctor and i think he was just looking to make a quick buck but I think he really half assed everything and they are paying for it
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

brewcrew1000 wrote:This whole little development has turned into a mistake, the initial investor was some kind of doctor and i think he was just looking to make a quick buck but I think he really half assed everything and they are paying for it
Half-a$$ed everything is the key. Have you seen the paving they installed in front of Huddle House and WFP? How about that non-ADA, ADA ramp? Whoa! My toddler can install concrete to a higher level. He was proud to tell me that he sought a minority owned company to do it, but they didn’t pull any permits or build any of it to any standards (and the city has told him to rip it all out and redo it). Well…patrons can sense this and they are not too interested in any of the businesses that come and go on this block. The Egypt Café has closed as well. A new vape shop opened on the block, but those will open in any cheap storefront.

I enjoyed watching the fly-by-night crew stucco’ing the Huddle House a few years ago. It really made the building look worse, not better.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The guy who developed the pizza place, Huddle House, Egypt Cafe, etc. said he did so because one of his family members went to the dialysis center on the block and wanted more options that were family-friendly/didn't serve alcohol so his daughters (muslim, I believe) could frequent without having to venture too far.

I give him props for trying when no one else was stepping forward, just not executed very well.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looks like something else took over this space, kind of nice to get a decent company to locate in the westport area
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... e-for.html
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Glad the space didn't get turned into a smoke shop. I realize variety is the spice of life, but is 4+ smoke shops along that stretch of Broadway really necessary? Living near Armour & Broadway, I'd love for that entire stretch to get cleaned up a bit.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Agree, a software company is just what that spot needed. Nice to see a JoCo tech company open branch office in city core, where creative types tend to prefer to be. I wonder if also partly because Google Fiber biz class is only $100 - and Leawood is not getting GF. They said most work from home so a cheap GF connected site is ideal for their systems - their employees can connect at high speed from home.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Is Huddle House still open?

I wonder if this means that apartment building behind these on Central will ever get built. Would be a shame, though I'm glad the mural is still up in that alleyway. Wasn't really ready to part ways with that mural.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Demosthenes wrote:Is Huddle House still open?
Its temporarily closed which probably means it will soon be permanently closed.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Ramen Shop moving into former Open Fire Wood Burning Pizza spot. There was another ramen shop rumored to be going into the former Foodoo location down the street, as well...

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... restaurant